Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - The Obscure Movie/TV Show Thread.

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > The Obscure Movie/TV Show Thread.
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"The Obscure Movie/TV Show Thread.", One week ago, 2:34 PM #1
ShaRose49

Registration date: 27th Jul 2018
So I have a tendency to lean towards things that are less popular vs things that are mega-popular. The reason being that I find a lot of super popular things are popular for shallow reasons, but also I am biased towards things that are more unique or unusual. (Maybe it’s an “underdog” mentality, idk) Usually the things that are super popular feel really generic to me, even though I will totally appreciate them if they’re good. I probably won’t appreciate it as much as something really unique though, even if that unique thing has a bunch of flaws.

So...this is a thread where you can post obscure gems (little known TV series or movies) that you found and want to share with others. Maybe it will expose some people (including myself) to some awesome experiences that we wouldn’t have got otherwise. (It’s also a way for me to get awesome-show rants out of my system when my family isn’t interested in hearing about them XD).

There’s a lot of shows I could mention, but for now I’ll just do a couple that I really enjoyed recently.

So...the first show I wanna mention is Nelvana’s Detentionaire.

It’s a show that aired from I think 2011 to early 2015, done in flash animation—apparently they used flash because this was an original show so they couldn’t rely on a big budget from Nelvana, but I think they did a very good job with what they had. With certain characters especially, the animation is surprisingly smooth, the slightly stiff facial expressions improve overtime, and the dramatic shots really help with the mysterious and edgy aesthetic, and not to mention the show’s overall setting and character designs.

Despite some goofy (and annoying) characters, the show gets pretty intense later on, and it has one of the most complicated plots I’ve seen in awhile. This show is super-addicting, and a big part of that is because it has NO FILLER. Yeah, you read that right. Maybe some funny scenes can feel like filler, but each episode continues where he last one left off, (a bunch of episodes end on cliffhangers) and each character is important to the plot in some way, and virtually none of the characters are one-dimensional (even the goofy comic-relief ones, and the really nasty ones)!

It ends up having an almost supernatural or fantasy vibe about it, but it’s so unique tbh it’s hard to describe, though several people have compared this show to Gravity Falls, so maybe that helps. What makes it more exciting than even some action cartoons (and there is a fair amount of action in this one for being just a mystery-drama) to me at least, is because the bad guys seriously have it out for Lee and his family. They’re not just after him because he’s getting in their way, they’re out to ruin his life because of who he is, so nothing personal? Nahhh, it’s COMPLETELY personal!

And I didn’t even mention the voice-acting, which is pretty good, (Sean Cullen and Karl Ang are just SPOT ON) and Jonathan Tan, who plays the main character, starts out pretty good and just improves as the story moves forward. This show may have some weird humour (but also some elements that are in fact, laugh-out-loud funny) but that aside, it is just...SO GOOD!! Definitely going on my list of favourite shows. If you stick with this one you probably won’t regret it!

The other show I wanna mention is All Saints.

(I’m not linking the trailer because it has the cheesiest narrator EVER ugghhhhh).

I usually do not like faith-based movies despite being a person of faith, (and this is because they’re usually bad or just boring) but this one was GOOD! It’s a true story (a bunch of the refugees actually played themselves) about a preacher who is supposed to sell his church so that it can be made into a Mini-Mart, but a bunch of Burmese refugees are farming the land around it to survive. Not wanting to leave them to starve, The preacher fights for the church against all odds.

The cool thing about this movie is that it’s not preaching at us to save our souls (you can get that from any sermon) but instead it shows us a bunch of people coming together as a community. And not just Christians, but Buddhists and even people who aren’t religious as well. It’s incredibly respectful, very moving, (yah I almost cried) and the dialogue is excellent (that preacher can be a total badass when it comes to telling off those apathetic people).

So anyways, hit me with your obscure gems!
One week ago, 4:08 PM #2
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
CW's Pandora was the best cheesy space opera on free tv this summer. Had a few cool ideas and some gorgeous actors (Martin Bobb-Semple would be well-cast as the Silver Surfer). It really jumped the shark toward the end, but effects-wise it had some spectacular space battles and awesome planetary portraits. Second season renewal is questionable, but it was embarrassing fun while it lasted.
One week ago, 4:34 PM #3
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
Now I'm reminded of "Lie To Me"... The LA Noire before LA Noire. With the whole facial expressions and gestures revealing the truth.

One week ago, 4:49 PM #4
ShaRose49

Robotwin.com:Image
CW's Pandora was the best cheesy space opera on free tv this summer. Had a few cool ideas and some gorgeous actors (Martin Bobb-Semple would be well-cast as the Silver Surfer). It really jumped the shark toward the end, but effects-wise it had some spectacular space battles and awesome planetary portraits. Second season renewal is questionable, but it was embarrassing fun while it lasted.

Embarrassing fun, I know that feeling all too well ;)

Don’t be embarrassed, if you like it, who cares what others think?

Merged Doublepost:

TheStrangerous:Now I'm reminded of "Lie To Me"... The LA Noire before LA Noire. With the whole facial expressions and gestures revealing the truth.

Video

Is this like a documentary or something?
One week ago, 4:57 PM #5
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
ShaRose49:

Is this like a documentary or something?

A crime TV series, like CSI, but with protagonists who can recognize facial expressions, and get to the truth of a crime scene.
One week ago, 5:04 PM #6
ShaRose49

Oh that sounds really interesting hmm...
One week ago, 5:11 PM #7
SupermarketCordyceps

Registration date: 31st Oct 2018
I feel a similar way, ShaRose, as I often find a lot of the themes or subjects prevalent in a lot of popular stuff (not all, but quite a sizeable portion of) simply do not appeal to me. It's nice to find hidden gems of media, so this should be a good thread!

--

I don't know how obscure it is, but one of my favourite live-action tv series that I feel went a bit under the radar is Psychoville. It's a very dark comedy by two of the actors and writers of The League of Gentlemen (which also happens to be another favourite of mine). Without ruining it, it concerns a myriad of different characters that at first seem loosely connected but then gradually as the series progresses it develops into a rather crazy story involving murder, a conspiracy and general weird stuff. It's a great series, I recommend it if you like dark comedy with horror elements.

In terms of animated stuff, there was a rather interesting Canadian stop-motion animated adult animation series titled What it's Like to be Alone, which if I'm correct had some designers from some of Tim Burton's films work on it. Admittedly from what I recall it was a fairly typical edgy dark comedy fare, but I seem to remember when I watched it years ago I actually kind of enjoyed it, it had some pretty nice design work and animation at least.

Oh yeah, and then there's Rex the Runt, which was a fairly short-lived surreal comedy animated series, created by one of my favourite animators, Richard Golezowski, of Aardman Animations. It had a really unique animation style combining stop-motion with a 2D look and live-action puppetry. I loved this series as a teenager, to the point that I could quote certain episodes word-for-word. Shame it didn't get more recognition, because again the animation alone is fantastic.

Anyway sorry for the long post, I just love discussions of obscure media, haha.
One week ago, 5:14 PM #8
Lee Lines

Registration date: 14th Jun 2016
12:01 is a 1993 tv movie starring Jonathan Silverman, Helen Slater, and Martin Landau. A science experiment causes time to repeat itself at 12:01 a.m. the time of the experiment (It was unauthorised) Silverman, who witnessed Slater's assassination earlier in the day accidentally electrocuted himself on a frayed lamp at the exact time of the experiment is the only one aware the day is now repeating. Groundhog Day taken more or less seriously.

One week ago, 6:07 PM #9
ShaRose49

SupermarketCordyceps:I feel a similar way, ShaRose, as I often find a lot of the themes or subjects prevalent in a lot of popular stuff (not all, but quite a sizeable portion of) simply do not appeal to me. It's nice to find hidden gems of media, so this should be a good thread!

--

I don't know how obscure it is, but one of my favourite live-action tv series that I feel went a bit under the radar is Psychoville. It's a very dark comedy by two of the actors and writers of The League of Gentlemen (which also happens to be another favourite of mine). Without ruining it, it concerns a myriad of different characters that at first seem loosely connected but then gradually as the series progresses it develops into a rather crazy story involving murder, a conspiracy and general weird stuff. It's a great series, I recommend it if you like dark comedy with horror elements.

In terms of animated stuff, there was a rather interesting Canadian stop-motion animated adult animation series titled What it's Like to be Alone, which if I'm correct had some designers from some of Tim Burton's films work on it. Admittedly from what I recall it was a fairly typical edgy dark comedy fare, but I seem to remember when I watched it years ago I actually kind of enjoyed it, it had some pretty nice design work and animation at least.

Oh yeah, and then there's Rex the Runt, which was a fairly short-lived surreal comedy animated series, created by one of my favourite animators, Richard Golezowski, of Aardman Animations. It had a really unique animation style combining stop-motion with a 2D look and live-action puppetry. I loved this series as a teenager, to the point that I could quote certain episodes word-for-word. Shame it didn't get more recognition, because again the animation alone is fantastic.

Anyway sorry for the long post, I just love discussions of obscure media, haha.

Don’t apologize! I feel like I saw a clip of Rex the Runt during an interview with Ardman creators

Nice to see more stuff from Canada!
One week ago, 7:07 PM #10
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
I MIGHT be mentioning a few things that WAS popular to most kids??? But me and my siblings stopped watching LONG before we could realize it may or may not've been obscure... I'll mention by name..

Almost Naked Animals

Skunk Fu

and further back: something mother didn't want us to watch simply from it's art style...

Some kinda Yogi Bear remake, which to me seems like the start of many
cartoons we weren't allowed to watch or... actually was so obscure and short lived,
probably not many people knew it existed..

Um... Maybe something else? Anyone remember this?
Space Ghost Coast to Coast is literally a vague thing in my memories, but it I don't think it was a big thing? Was it? I don't know...

And maybe one more?
I think everybody has a idea of what this is, but... Until the movie and VHS releases.. There seemed to be no indication that this existed, too.. I almost questioned what the heck actually happened those late nights watching Cartoon Network.. but the VHS, movie and reboot (which I never seen) proves this maybe ISN'T as obscure as it seemed...

This is all I could remember, and these themselves were hard to remember... They don't seem real even with typing the name in and seeing proof, in my opinion..

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

One week ago, 7:31 PM #11
ShaRose49

I”be basically heard of all of those except for Skunk Fu. And the Rocky and Bullwinkle show was great XD

I know how it is with parents and even siblings assuming something is bad because of the art style and the like. I vowed not to judge something by that alone.
One week ago, 8:26 PM #12
CrosEL

Ironically: Skunk Fu is the only one
most recent one that I remember. (I took a pass on the naked animals one.) I didn't
think there'd be a Wikipedia page about it, though... Since it seemed to last only one year?
Maybe there was too much going on back then?

Also, is Tales from the Crypt known
by anyone here? I vaguely remember it?

One week ago, 8:36 PM #13
ShaRose49

Skunk Fu Promo

This animation looks surprisingly good—action’s not half-bad either. Keep the cartoons comin, I live and breathe this stuff.

The Crypt? Rings a bell...

I looked it up and it’s a horror show XD so I definitely never watched it. I remember Veggietales spoofed the name though in one of their titles: Tales From the Crisper
One week ago, 8:40 PM #14
Stilldown

Registration date: 19th Nov 2016
CrosEL:
Also, is Tales from the Crypt known
by anyone here? I vaguely remember it?

Certainly Tales Of The Crypt is a really important and extremly influental part of comic history that got banned in 1954 by the first comic code caused by hysteria (Thanks, Wertham), among with Haunt Of Fear and Vault Of Terror. I recall there was a 1972 movie, although I am not sure if I ever saw it, and a televison series of the long nineties. I recall I watched some episodes of the latter, but I would not bother to watch them again.
One week ago, 9:00 PM #15
CrosEL

Ah... I guess these were only obscure to me???

Then I got one more before I try digging deep:
This gem here
probably isn't unknown, but lasted for a short while... I enjoyed the bright colors
and unearthly upbeat theme song, but unlike most cartoons, it seemed to
went off the air before every episode was shown.
Also never saw any merchandise or references to it unless I specifically
searched for it.. Anyone else saw this at least once, or probably knows more about it?

One week ago, 9:09 PM #16
Lee Lines

Registration date: 14th Jun 2016
EC Comics most shocking cover!

One week ago, 11:24 PM #17
Stilldown

Lee Lines:EC Comics most shocking cover!

Yes, the infamous covers of Tales of the Cryzpt and other EC Comics. Generations of comic artists have parodied them, I did at least two, too. And the concept of the comic moderator (later copied by Warren's Vampirella and others) between the single stories goes indeed back to the EC comics, too.
One week ago, 11:33 PM #18
ShaRose49

CrosEL:Ah... I guess these were only obscure to me???

Then I got one more before I try digging deep:
This gem here
probably isn't unknown, but lasted for a short while... I enjoyed the bright colors
and unearthly upbeat theme song, but unlike most cartoons, it seemed to
went off the air before every episode was shown.
Also never saw any merchandise or references to it unless I specifically
searched for it.. Anyone else saw this at least once, or probably knows more about it?

I’ve definitely never heard of this one, but it looks pretty cute (if not a little brutal, yikes! XD)

This movie was pretty good yo.

Just too bad it killed Fox Animation :’(
6 days ago, 3:55 PM #19
Amphurious01

Registration date: 13th Oct 2015
An old/obscure show I'm rather fond of is Dog City. I vaguely remembered watching it as a kid in the early 90s and went back to revisit it recently. It features a blend of puppetry and traditional animation. The main character is a cartoonist and he's constantly struggling with deadlines and writer's block and uncooperative characters and it's all FAR too relatable.
6 days ago, 5:47 PM #20
Stilldown

I was quite shocked that someone wrote some time ago that even the Shadoks were obscure (and I am not at all a fan of them, but they are established as important avantgarde cartoons), so here are some I think that are obscure by now.

"Funny opera" by Curt Linda (best known for his adaption of the pacifistic satire "The Animals' Conference".) the serial was about two backstage workers commenting famous operas. I would really like to watch them again.

The "Dr. Dolittle" adaption as cartoon serial by Freleng (Pink Panther fame). Not a highlight of cartoon history, but the earliest one I renembered watching, although it was old back then already.

"Archemobil". I only recall it faintly and I think it was rather stupid. Noah and some talking animals having weird adventures on a wheeled ark. Sounds like a good concept, but wasn't as much fun as it sounds.

"Strichweise heiter". I am still desperately searching for this gem of cartoon history, but it seems lost forever. It was a show moderated by Manfred Schmidt (famous for Knatterton) about international cartoons. Each epsiode was dedicated to a special theme, like dark humour, etc. I had a short part of an episode on an inchtape my father once recorded, but couldn't get a picture last time I tried to start it.