Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - What does being an artist mean to you?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > What does being an artist mean to you?
Pages: [1]

"What does being an artist mean to you?", 5 days ago, 3:04 AM #1
defo18

Registration date: 18th Aug 2012
Is it just something you were always good at?

Did you grow up wanting or planning to be one?

Do you think being an artist is a noble profession/career/hobbie?

Is it apart of your identity?

Do you see yourself sketching and doodling until the day you die?

Are you the 'art" friend? (as in people ask for you to draw them stuff)

Do you believe an art degree is worth it?

Is art therapeutic for you?

Inktober has reignited some artistic juices and a fellow artist gave me a shout out on instagram. We keep each other up in good spirits.

It's kind of nice knowing there are so many different artist out there doing this challenge
Happy Inktober!
5 days ago, 3:17 AM #2
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Registration date: 24th Mar 2014
Making art is my personal act of rebellion against the outrageous expectations of my professional identity.
5 days ago, 3:22 AM #3
smbhax

Registration date: 19th Nov 2009
It means I do art.
5 days ago, 3:23 AM #4
Zero Hour

Registration date: 12th Mar 2017
It means I create. I don't have to be good, I don't have to be orginal, I can draw the blandest story in the ugliest way, I'd still be an artist, because I created something. Other than that, creating my comic just makes me happy
5 days ago, 3:31 AM #5
Rulerbrain
swears it's 7 inches
Registration date: 9th Jun 2015
It's an annoying, draining hobby that I'm too fucking stubborn to give up on now

Make art is gud
5 days ago, 4:17 PM #6
Microraptor
the only safe place is the top shelf
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
It's a fun hobby, that at the same time also gives me a sense of doing something productive. Also there is the gratification when other people do indeed enjoy your art too.
5 days ago, 4:31 PM #7
Dyohna

Registration date: 20th Feb 2015
Art has the ability to move people and heal hearts. This is the closest to the mage class I'm ever going to get.
And self expression and all that. I take my role as an art wizard very seriously
5 days ago, 4:51 PM #8
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
Have a goal/purpose.
You can binge watch shows/movies only so far, 'til you get bored in your spare free time.
5 days ago, 5:31 PM #9
dougwarner59

Registration date: 13th Jan 2012
to me it means I can draw. To everyone else it seems to mean creating or singing songs.
5 days ago, 5:53 PM #10
DoryH

Registration date: 14th Dec 2012
This is who I am. I've known since I was 17 it wasn't just a hobby for me, but my one true calling in life.
5 days ago, 6:14 PM #11
Lutzbug
loved birds way before they were the word
Registration date: 2nd Oct 2017
Gonna wax philosophical here for a sec.

It’s necessary for my survival. It’s so ingrained into my psychology that I can say with complete sincerity that I’d collapse if I couldn’t do it. It feels like everything in my life comes back to my need to get the pictures and stories out of my head into the real world where not only I can see them, but others can, as well. And I’ll go to any length to show the richness of the weird world my characters live in. Writing and drawing stories is how I navigate this tangled, confusing maze of life. The fictional universe inside my head feels very real to me, and with any luck, I can make it real for others, too.
5 days ago, 8:21 PM #12
Socratatus

Registration date: 9th Aug 2019
1. I was always able to draw, ever since i can remember.

2. It`s as noble as you want it to be.

3. It`s my escape from the tiresome complication of every single normal thing today. It`s an escape to simpler alternate times.

4. If I had no pen, I`d draw on the road in my own blood.

5. I`ll be drawing till the day my body grows cold.

6. Never had an Art degree.

5 days ago, 8:43 PM #13
deo101
pungent
Registration date: 26th Sep 2017
Being an artist means choosing to create something. It's an interesting kind of power, having complete control over a canvas.
It's an extra interesting kind of power that I can use what's in my head to make people feel things.
I guess to me being an artist means making that choice, every day, and trying to make the world a little bit brighter with it.
It might just be my world, but it's still brighter from the work I do, and that's important too.
Honestly, without my art I would probably be dead by now.
It's changed my life and I don't want to think about where I would be without it.
5 days ago, 8:50 PM #14
KitapiMD

Registration date: 1st Aug 2019
These questions from OP seem fun, but I like the responses to the title question given out already. It's making me reflect a little on how seriously I should, but don't, take my art and being an artist. I'm a little disillusioned about it, to be honest. I look for a way to bring the spark back in my life what makes me yearn to draw and get better again.

Probably, though I wouldn't say I was good for most of it. It was something that I was always doing, though. I liked it so much more then than I do now.

Yes! --wanting to tell stories through art, I guess. I have/had characters, I wanted to use them.

Yes, but it's not for me.

No.

Probably. Don't think there'll be another pursuit I'll be doing that'll replace drawing. Even when I am working I sometimes want to scribble something on my paper as I keep track of what I've been doing.

Absolutely yes.

No. Not unless you live/breathe art, and taking it seriously is your most urgent pursuit. The art world is competitive, and you need to be able to get out there and make a mark.

It used to be, now it's just a thing I do. A reflex; the only thing I know how to do, well.
5 days ago, 11:25 PM #15
DiggityDogDingo

Registration date: 24th Apr 2019

It's always been a journey for sure. I would say above all else I have always wanted to bebetter. This has not gotten in the way of being able to step back and appreciate my progress and milestones however.

I did, I wanted to be a illustrator. I had plans to go to college to pursue it until the recession in 2008 hit and I realized I was not good enough to compete in the competitive market. Drive and tenacity will only get you so far. It's probably the best thing that ever happened to me though, and it certainly broadened my horizons to career that was a better fit and still creative.

Noble has no place here. It is a job if you want to make it one but you have to be able to produce on command just like any other job. It's a rewarding in the fact you are creating something from nothing, but that can also be said of bakers, woodworkers, draftsmen, architects and engineers.

Without a doubt it it is but only a facet. The streams don't cross over very often from my day job to my "night" job of drawing.

Is art therapeutic for you?[/b]

Again, absolutely. There are issues that I have worked through with art, and the stories I want to tell as well as just being a way to relieve stress.
4 days ago, 3:28 PM #16
BlueDragon

Registration date: 7th Jan 2015

I wouldn't say I was always good at it...or whether or not I'm good at it now. But I've drawn for as long as I can remember. Along with other crafts.

Yeah. I even wrote a note and sealed it with candle wax, stamped it with a pewter dragon's head I had o_O

I was a strange kid. Why was I playing with candles?

I mean...it can be. I don't think what I do is noble XD But if you're doing it and making money for a good cause it can be noble. I guess if you're making some kind of statement to better humankind it can be.

As a profession, it's like anything else: it's a job. It takes work, and it can resonate with people, but it is a job/hobby. I guess it all just depends on how one looks at it. I don't think I'm doing anything great for humanity...but at least I'm providing entertainment. We all need a little escapism now and then.

Yes

Probably, unless I lose the function or capability.

I mean, I was back in High School. I had a few friends paying for commissions in college and after. Most of my friends aren't interested in what I do. That's cool. We all have lives.

This is tricky, and it depends highly on the person and what their goal with their art is.

I think for networking and making the scene as an "artist," the connections and shows and learning from people who are already artists is valuable.

If art is just a hobby for the person, then I think finding free classes or groups is the better way. One shouldn't go into massive debt for a hobby. TRUST ME.

Longer explanation on thoughts:

Yes. When I get too stressed out, it's nice to get "relaxed," pull out the sketchbook, and just listen to Floyd and Beatles while doodling. It feels good, and it gives me some ideas of projects I'd like to work on.