Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > small changes
Pages: 1 2 3 4
"small changes", 18th Oct 2019, 3:48 PM #1
Kyo
🐊
people were showing interest in a thread like this on the nobo a bit ago, basically I'm going to post smaller changes to the site that wouldn't really be worth announcing. At the moment my life's a bit hectic so I don't know how consistently I'll have stuff to post about, but I guess it's worth a try.

anyway, here's two to get us started, now keep in mind, most things I'll post about aren't going to be huge feature additions:

-you no longer have to enter your password to edit your profile, avatar or account settings (but you do still have to enter it to change your email or password)

-when entering or selecting a link, the bbcode editor will now automatically remove spaces at the front and end, making it a bit easier to carelessly paste links and image URLs you copied from somewhere without getting broken code as a result
18th Oct 2019, 3:51 PM #2
NoT aLl HeRoEs WeAr CaPeS
18th Oct 2019, 4:00 PM #3
Thank you Kyo, very cool!
18th Oct 2019, 4:20 PM #4
Now what if somewhat sneaks onto this PC and changes my settings!!?

Kidding, I like the small changes; it makes things go a little faster/smoother!

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

18th Oct 2019, 4:46 PM #5
LMS

you no longer have to enter your password to edit your profile, avatar or account settings (but you do still have to enter it to change your email or password)

I was mildly confused about the lack of password-requirements when I went to edit my profile the other day.the other day.

Thanks, Kyo.
18th Oct 2019, 5:19 PM #6
Kyo
🐊
yeah I did the password change last week. Here's another fresh change though, there is now a preview button on the noticeboard
18th Oct 2019, 5:50 PM #7
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
yay, no more redundant password confirmations! I noticed it the other day. that's pretty great.

I like the concept behind this thread. I think updating it whenever you made some changes regardless of when it's done is the way to go, otherwise you'll begin to feel like you have to update it every week or so, and that'll feel like a hassle.

but this is coming from someone whose comic schedule is random as heck, so take it with a grain of salt.
18th Oct 2019, 10:05 PM #8
Can we request small changes here, too?

18th Oct 2019, 10:09 PM #9
Kyo
🐊
no, I think that'd just get a bit confusing, but you can make a thread in the problems & suggestions forum or alternatively pm me if you prefer that (i do like suggestions in general, this is just not the best place for it)

e: oh and i guess if I'm posting here anyway i might as well mention that I added the "start of latest chapter" front page option to the create webcomic screen, where it was apparently missing. i think that kind of change is probably too small to even be worth mentioning here though

Merged Doublepost:

actually I just went ahead and made a thread for small suggestions, it's a good idea

small suggestions here please
19th Oct 2019, 12:44 AM #10
ride 'til I die shitposter
sexy, concise. How i like it
19th Oct 2019, 2:35 AM #11
Venture Capitalist
Kyo, did you pull the "bold/italics/underline/etc" options from the comments?

Why, bro, why?
19th Oct 2019, 3:19 AM #12
Kyo
🐊
no, but while updating that url thing i mentioned in the OP, I also updated all pages to the latest version of the bbcode editor (before this point the old and new version were identical in functionality, but the old version predates most other scripts on the site so it was pretty hacky). I think what's happening is that you're still getting a cached version of the script that pulls in the bbcode editor now, hit ctrl + f5 on a comment window and that should fix it

e: added a cache invalidator thingy, so it should automatically pop back up for people without having to refresh
19th Oct 2019, 11:15 PM #13
Kyo
🐊
the comic keyboard navigation now no longer triggers if shift, cmd, alt or ctrl are held down (to prevent it from interfering with keyboard shortcuts like e.g. alt + left / alt + right)
21st Oct 2019, 3:34 AM #14
Kyo
🐊
did some tweaks to the site CSS to make things more consistent, probably most noticeable on the "my subscriptions" and search page, which now no longer have alternating colors. I also updated some places that had slightly different tones of gray than other places on the site.
22nd Oct 2019, 1:43 AM #15
Kyo
🐊
I added two new layout variables on the comic page layout to help chapter navigation

[v:nextchapter] will link to the start of the next chapter, according to the chapter order numbers, if there is one.
[v:prevchapter] will link to the start of the previous chapter, according to the chapter order numbers, if there is one.

both of these will be empty if there is no chapter to link to. So you can do something like this:

[c:prevchapter]
    <a href="[v:prevchapter]">Go to start of previous chapter</a>
[/]
[c:nextchapter]
    <a href="[v:nextchapter]">Go to start of next chapter</a>
[/]

note that if your chapter order doesn't mostly match up with your comic release dates (e.g. if you use chapters as folders for fan art and extras or similar things), I wouldn't recommend using these as you could send people in loops if they were to switch between using the chapter navigation and regular navigation
24th Oct 2019, 7:36 PM #16
Kyo:

note that if your chapter order doesn't mostly match up with your comic release dates (e.g. if you use chapters as folders for fan art and extras or similar things), I wouldn't recommend using these as you could send people in loops if they were to switch between using the chapter navigation and regular navigation

Lol, my comic: Star*Eater's doomed with this, then!
(Of course it's just a collection of random ideas, so it's not a real problem)

1st Nov 2019, 8:43 PM #17
Kyo
🐊
added two variables and two conditions to the comic page:

First comic in the same chapter as the current comic link: [v:firstcomicinchapter]
Last comic in the same chapter as the current comic link: [v:lastcomicinchapter]

is this the first comic in its chapter?: [c:isfirstcomicinchapter]...[/]
is this the last comic in its chapter?: [c:islastcomicinchapter]...[/]
24th Nov 2019, 9:08 AM #18
Kyo
🐊
you thought i forgot about this thread, didn't you?

well, you were right. but then i remembered

-You can now access the webcomic overview at /overview

changes from the last 3 weeks:
-add smackjeeves layout converter thingy
-add fancy pants HTML editor to extra website page editing/creating screen when you have the what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor turned off
-separate discontinued/completed into two separate statuses
-dark mode

mostly I've been working on a fancy new layout documentation system that isn't just a somewhat neglected forum thread, and then of course, the event happened
24th Nov 2019, 4:26 PM #19
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
"the event?" I like to call it the Smackxodus.

I could swear this thread got updated recently, but no, I mixed it up with the small suggestions thread.

also, being able to access the overview page is great, at last. not important, but great for obsessive tinkerers :)
1st Dec 2019, 2:25 AM #20
Kyo
🐊
I added some variables to the comic page, mirroring ones from the overview page:

[v:latestcomicpermalink]
[v:latestcomicnumber]
[v:latestcomicid]
[v:latestcomictitle]
[v:latestcomicposttime]
[v:latestcomiccomments]

These aren't all the [v:latestcomic...] variables available on the overview page, but they're the ones I could get for free by sucking them out of the archive loop (don't worry about it)