Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
"Small suggestions thread", 18th Oct 2019, 10:22 PM #1
Kyo
🐊
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
CrosEL kind of suggested this in my thread about small changes to the site, if you have a suggestion for a small change or fix to the site that you think is too small to make a whole thread about, or you think would be quick to implement, post it here! You can also comment on ideas others have posted.

Let's hear what you got!
18th Oct 2019, 11:27 PM #2
Nama
🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍏🍍
Registration date: 15th Nov 2012
Make me a mod
18th Oct 2019, 11:48 PM #3
Jeremy7
What a sucker
Registration date: 7th Mar 2018
For some reason I want to see the comments I made on comics.

EDIT: Compiled in one place, like the "Find Posts by This User" thing.
19th Oct 2019, 5:19 PM #4
Matt Comics
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
seconding those suggestions. I wouldn't mind being a mod and accessing an archive of all my comments.
20th Oct 2019, 4:45 AM #5
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
Being greedy as heck, but...

A secondary Archive, please? Yes, additional stuff can be put in the Extra Webpages; but it requires some additional effort, like either: uploading images to the comic's file and putting them on later or using the image address. Both are ways I've used and.. it's alright, yet it takes it's toll on my laggy devices... And I'm just somewhat lazy..

Last-but-not-least: Can we upload videos as comic pages? Gifs are AWESOME! But the device I'm using turns my small animations into videos; and while it CAN access the site.. it can't get anything moving into it. I'd simply use my SD card to move the videos, but my Android doesn't accept them.. again, it's something unnecessary, but it'll be great to make a "Movie comic" if given time & a way to upload...

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

20th Oct 2019, 2:06 PM #6
Kyo
🐊
no need to feel greedy, I do like hearing what people want, even if it's not always feasible.

to be honest I have no idea what you mean by a secondary archive. do you mean like a gallery extra page type of thing that doesn't require code editing? if so, that's not really what I would call a small suggestion (it's actually quite a big in depth feature addition that would require me to update all the default layouts as well) but it is actually already on the to-do list in any case.

being able to browse back through your own comments (and their replies) is probably also not really a small suggestion, that's a whole feature addition. It's also a good idea though, so I guess I won't complain too much. I think this may have been requested before, I would check the issue tracker but github's not letting me log in on this laptop right now. Anyway, if it's not already on there, I'll put it on the to-do, it's a useful idea, especially if you're looking for replies to one of your comments.

In regards to movies: What sort of formats are you talking about exactly? I could see if it's easy to add support, the main problem is that most movie files are bigger than 5mb, and I don't think the site really has the budget to directly host peoples multi-100mb movie files, that stuff can get real server intensive real fast, especially if they ever happen to get a bit more traffic at once. The best solution in general for video is hosting it somewhere like vimeo or youtube, copying the embed code for that video, and using "custom HTML/Embed Code:" for that video

so you know in conclusion, I don't want to like discourage people from posting their ideas here because they feel they're not small enough. If you have an idea that isn't really strictly small, you can still post it here if you don't want to make a thread about it, but keep in mind that this thread is also meant for like really small stuff that's been bothering you. Like let's say you find it annoying that the preview button doesn't have an exclamation point, but the post button does, you can totes post about that kind of stuff here too.
20th Oct 2019, 2:07 PM #7
Jeremy7
What a sucker
Registration date: 7th Mar 2018
Kyo:
being able to browse back through your own comments (and their replies) is probably also not really a small suggestion, that's a whole feature addition. It's also a good idea though, so I guess I won't complain too much. I think this may have been requested before, I would check the issue tracker but github's not letting me log in on this laptop right now. Anyway, if it's not already on there, I'll put it on the to-do, it's a useful idea, especially if you're looking for replies to one of your comments.

Well, to be fair, I didn't want to start a whole new topic for that. So it kinda fits anyways.
20th Oct 2019, 2:09 PM #8
Kyo
🐊
yeah like I said, no harm done. I get that some people just don't like starting threads for it, putting your suggestion here instead is totally fine with me, you can keep doing it if you come up with anything else
20th Oct 2019, 3:36 PM #9
Matt Comics
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
secondary archives aren't seen very often, but they can be needed if you want to collect extra material and don't feel like making a completely separate site for it. I found a workaround for that, though!

basically, you still have to create a new comic site. name it "yourcomic.extras.thecomicseries.com" or something like that, and upload your extra strips or whatever to its archive.

and then, using the magic of HTML and CF's settings, you can make it look like your main site got two archives. create a button on your main site, name it "Extra material" or something, and use it as a link to the secondary site's archive.

hide the secondary site from CF (you can do that in the comic settings), and make sure to replace all its top bar buttons, RSS links, profile links and such with the main site's version. this essentially turns your new site into a dead end that only links to the main site's buttons.

you have to spend some time tinkering with the layout, but it's worth it if you feel like going in that direction.
20th Oct 2019, 3:47 PM #10
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
Dark mode, cause I like dark stuff.
20th Oct 2019, 4:00 PM #11
Kyo
🐊
i have actually done some work on a dark mode version of the site! the main problem is that i'm not good at making layouts, but I definitely want to get that in there.
20th Oct 2019, 4:48 PM #12
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
Night Eye is a browser extension that does dark mode on any site.
20th Oct 2019, 4:55 PM #13
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
Kyo:no need to feel greedy, I do like hearing what people want, even if it's not always feasible.

to be honest I have no idea what you mean by a secondary archive. do you mean like a gallery extra page type of thing that doesn't require code editing? if so, that's not really what I would call a small suggestion (it's actually quite a big in depth feature addition that would require me to update all the default layouts as well) but it is actually already on the to-do list in any case.

Whoa, really?! I can wait then, I had no idea this was gonna be a thing!

Kyo:In regards to movies: What sort of formats are you talking about exactly? I could see if it's easy to add support, the main problem is that most movie files are bigger than 5mb, and I don't think the site really has the budget to directly host peoples multi-100mb movie files, that stuff can get real server intensive real fast, especially if they ever happen to get a bit more traffic at once. The best solution in general for video is hosting it somewhere like vimeo or youtube, copying the embed code for that video, and using "custom HTML/Embed Code:" for that video

The video's are in AVI format, but I'll try the embed code thing, too. (Actually tried it once before, it worked. But
never again; I have no idea if the device again, or something I did.)

Merged Doublepost:

Matt Comics:secondary archives aren't seen very often, but they can be needed if you want to collect extra material and don't feel like making a completely separate site for it. I found a workaround for that, though!

basically, you still have to create a new comic site. name it "yourcomic.extras.thecomicseries.com" or something like that, and upload your extra strips or whatever to its archive.

and then, using the magic of HTML and CF's settings, you can make it look like your main site got two archives. create a button on your main site, name it "Extra material" or something, and use it as a link to the secondary site's archive.

hide the secondary site from CF (you can do that in the comic settings), and make sure to replace all its top bar buttons, RSS links, profile links and such with the main site's version. this essentially turns your new site into a dead end that only links to the main site's buttons.

you have to spend some time tinkering with the layout, but it's worth it if you feel like going in that direction.

This sounds great too, but as my previous profile thing said: "I haven't programmed in a while" I DO tinker
with it, but almost always end up destroying my comic site (Unless I change something like text or colors...)
and have to reset it more than keep changes..

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

21st Oct 2019, 1:19 AM #14
BMR

Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
An option to set the number of comics viewed per page in the Advanced Search section? At times, can be fun just browsing through all the comics.
21st Oct 2019, 4:35 PM #15
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
Menu items "Recently updated", "Popular overall", and "Random selection" are in sentence case, while "Popular Now" is in title case.

Also double check "My Webcomics My Subscriptions New webcomic site Account settings"

And "Main My Updates Forum Contact us Advanced search" and "Private messages (0 new), Log out"

Heck, every menu. How to know when to use which case?

https://medium.com/@jsaito/making-a-case-for-letter-case-19d09f653c98
21st Oct 2019, 5:00 PM #16
Xenocartographer
has a sweet tooth
Registration date: 13th Oct 2010
Maybe this already happened, but - expose custom page variables to archive loops

A way for users to create custom sub(-sub)-domains (http://custom.foobarthecomic.cfw.me) would be cool, especially if you can point them at other comics under your controlb
"Custom Variables in Archive Loops", 22nd Oct 2019, 2:47 AM #17
Snarkclaw

Registration date: 9th Oct 2014
I think you previously mentioned that this would actually take a lot of work, so this might not be a small request, but...

Request 1:
Make custom variables function within the Archive Page loops.

Also probably not a small request...

Request 2:
Feedback form pages, like the Contact Us page for ComicFury, but available for individual comic sites.

The new Dark Mode looks quite nice! I prefer lighter colored sites in general, but could see using ComicFury's Dark Mode when I'm working in a generally darker environment.

Thank you for all your hard work! :-)
22nd Oct 2019, 4:19 AM #18
shaneoid

Registration date: 19th May 2016
Maybe you could have a paid promotion section on the front page so you can have creators pay for their comic on the front page and in turn generate some money for the site.
22nd Oct 2019, 4:20 AM #19
Kyo
🐊
hissssssssss
22nd Oct 2019, 3:07 PM #20
Kei Esteban
Catgirl Connoisseur
Registration date: 11th Feb 2018
Whenever you can,
just try to enjoy life ^_^

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9