Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Downtime 19th of November 2019

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > News & Announcements > Downtime 19th of November 2019
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]

20th Nov 2019, 2:39 AM #21
ShadNoise

Registration date: 4th Mar 2018
I just want to say thanks for the hard work you put into this site, I and I know many others appreciate it. CF rocks! Hope the server switcheroo goes smoothly.
20th Nov 2019, 2:43 AM #22
Lizuka

Registration date: 14th Dec 2009
For what it's worth to fix some issues I was having on the background of one of my comics I had to go through changing a few URLs in the layout from comicfury to everythingfury. Just a heads up in case anyone is having similar issues.
20th Nov 2019, 2:47 AM #23
Kyo
?
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
if you do that, make sure to download a backup of the layout first, so you can restore things to the way they were afterwards. everythingfury.com normally isn't meant to be a mirror of the site, i just set it up that way so people would at least have some chance at managing their webcomics / communicating while the server is being set up

e: on the layout editor, there's a box labeled "useful stuff" either next to the editor window, or below it. In it, you will find a link labeled "Download Layout Backup"
20th Nov 2019, 3:06 AM #24
doomdragon6

Registration date: 26th Apr 2016
Thanks for your hard work, dude :D
20th Nov 2019, 3:22 AM #25
killersteak
Botanist
Registration date: 25th Apr 2011
boo. this is all your fault. you should have done better. think of the children.
20th Nov 2019, 3:41 AM #26
Kyo
?
Update!

I was able to talk them into reenabling the site while stuff's transferring. If comicfury.com still doesn't work for you, try restarting your browser or hitting CTRL + F5. We are still on the VPS for now, so if things go south again, we may be disabled for a few more hours, just a heads up. And obviously once the switch from VPS to private server happens, there may be some slight downtime as well.
20th Nov 2019, 3:48 AM #27
killersteak
Botanist
Registration date: 25th Apr 2011
thats great. i love you. the children love you.
20th Nov 2019, 3:48 AM #28
Bandkanon

Registration date: 25th Feb 2011
Thank you for all the hard work Kyo. I think you deserve a bit of a vacation after this. Or at least a really good booze.
20th Nov 2019, 3:52 AM #29
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Registration date: 24th Mar 2014
Oh hey, the main site's up.

I guess I better upload a page.
20th Nov 2019, 3:55 AM #30
Kyo
?
yeah it's like, what do i do now
20th Nov 2019, 3:58 AM #31
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
Thanks, I was too lazy to log in from that other domain name.
20th Nov 2019, 4:09 AM #32
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
That was freaky, I thought the site was gone!
Um... Was this just a thing, or direct treachery from
Dreamhost?

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

20th Nov 2019, 4:11 AM #33
Kei Esteban
Catgirl Connoisseur
Registration date: 11th Feb 2018
Kyo, Thanks for keeping the site alive!

20th Nov 2019, 4:46 AM #34
authorloremipsum

Registration date: 11th Sep 2018
CrosEL:That was freaky, I thought the site was gone!
Um... Was this just a thing, or direct treachery from
Dreamhost?

twas Dreamhost being especially rude to Kyo, read the first post in the thread for more detail
though I think it was caused, partly at least, by an influx of users from Smackjeeves
20th Nov 2019, 4:51 AM #35
Kyo
?
Yeah I mean the site was definitely struggling, I actually contacted dreamhost before they contacted me shutting everything down, I'm not trying to insinuate at all that they're just making it up or anything, just to be clear
20th Nov 2019, 4:52 AM #36
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
Wow Dreamhost seems like just a really shitty host. Definitely never going to be using them. Even if your site is under heavy load, what kind of abject imbecile would decide to disable it instead of just letting it be slow?

I even noticed that the "More info on this error" link on their "we disabled this site" page doesn't even go to the right place, it gives a 404. Total amateur hour operation they've got going on. I don't want you to rush a server migration (NEVER rush a server migration), but we can't get off these servers fast enough.
20th Nov 2019, 4:53 AM #37
Kyo
?
the reason they shut me down is that we were probably affecting the host machine, causing problems on other vps instances, at least I assume. I haven't been explicitly told this, but it would make sense. So that's something that won't happen on a private server, hence no more being shut down by dreamhost at least (they did promise me that much)

also if ever we exceed a memory limit, the server would be rebooted which could cause 1 minute long downtimes on occasion. you might have run into them. that should also no longer happen. Honestly that bit just seems like it's set up in a really janky way, why not forbid me from using more memory than i have, eh
20th Nov 2019, 5:04 AM #38
Amazing Chris Godbey
formerly DrFurball
Registration date: 16th Jan 2015
Location: Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Kyo:and to be honest, chris really kinda fucked me, but I can't stay mad at him.

Thank god for context.

Kyo:It probably wasn't chris personally that did it, not my chris

Well, it wasn't this Chris. I would've at least taken you out to dinner first.
20th Nov 2019, 5:06 AM #39
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
Kyo:the reason they shut me down is that we were probably affecting the host machine, causing problems on other vps instances, at least I assume. I haven't been explicitly told this, but it would make sense. So that's something that won't happen on a private server, hence no more being shut down by dreamhost at least (they did promise me that much)

also if ever we exceed a memory limit, the server would be rebooted which could cause 1 minute long downtimes on occasion. you might have run into them. that should also no longer happen. Honestly that bit just seems like it's set up in a really janky way, why not forbid me from using more memory than i have, eh

What kind of VM host are they using that lets a guest over-provision, and then hard-cycles it when it runs out, instead of just sleeping it while it shuffles guests onto different machines? I don't have that much experience with hypervisors but I've never seen something that does that. I could see that maybe making sense for Big Cloud-style microservices where you have a bajillion instances running and a load-balancer will hide any individual one crashing... but it doesn't even look like Dreamhost *offers* that kind of hosting.

Like I'm not particularly well-versed in web hosting stuff, I definitely wouldn't be able to run a hosting service, but I know enough to know that these guys probably shouldn't be running one either.
20th Nov 2019, 5:58 AM #40
ZeroGee
Never Scared
Registration date: 15th Mar 2010
I was getting a unsecure site error message. I thought CF was hacked or something. So I just kept checking in figuring it'd get straightened out sooner or later. At lest I spent the free time drawing up another page.
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]