Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Downtime 19th of November 2019

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > News & Announcements > Downtime 19th of November 2019
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]

20th Nov 2019, 7:45 AM #41
argylefox

Registration date: 11th Jul 2014
Thank god.

I thought Kyo finally threw in the towel and ditched the whole site. I was afraid he had got tired of the bitching, complaints, or perhaps he had discovered my Kyo slash fiction.
20th Nov 2019, 7:57 AM #42
Matt Comics
?️‍???????????? ??? ??
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
being able to access the comics but not the main site felt really weird. it looked like CF vanished for good, with all the CF-specific images like avatars being gone.

but I knew it was merely Dreamhost's latest tomfoolery. they're like ineffectual but annoying cartoon villains. I'd say they're the Team Rocket of CF, but Team Rocket is actually fun.

welp. thanks Kyo, as usual!

I hope you'll find a better host real soon.
20th Nov 2019, 8:10 AM #43
Paulie Blade

Registration date: 2nd Apr 2018
19th of November is the World Toilet Day. Coincidence? I think not.
20th Nov 2019, 10:31 AM #44
princess_lom

Registration date: 30th Jun 2013
U made my day with that conspiracy theory xD
20th Nov 2019, 1:35 PM #45
Product Placement
paid to be there and look good
Registration date: 15th May 2011
Leafa:It's a real shame this happened just as people were looking for an alternative to Smackjeeves, but I guess that can't be helped.

Perhaps an off-tangent question, but what's happening at Smackjeeves, that's causing people to jump ship?
20th Nov 2019, 2:18 PM #46
felixp7

Registration date: 17th Sep 2016
Product Placement:Perhaps an off-tangent question, but what's happening at Smackjeeves, that's causing people to jump ship?

- Official announcement
- Reaction thread at Smack Jeeves
- How Comic Fury responded

Tl;dr: after selling out to some media company, there was no word at all from SJ for ten months; then all of a sudden they announced turning into a soulless Tapas clone and breaking pretty much everything... in two weeks. Enough said.

Edit: what? the editor ate the quote I was replying to?
20th Nov 2019, 2:51 PM #47
Kyo
?
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
Another relatively uneventful update: We're still on the VPS. Load appears to be good and all, but it's a little weird the move still hasn't completed. I sent in a ticket asking for a status update, but I'm mostly just writing this post in case further load issues crop up today, so people know what's up. So far it's all looking good though
20th Nov 2019, 3:25 PM #48
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
felixp7:- Official announcement
- Reaction thread at Smack Jeeves
- How Comic Fury responded

Tl;dr: after selling out to some media company, there was no word at all from SJ for ten months; then all of a sudden they announced turning into a soulless Tapas clone and breaking pretty much everything... in two weeks. Enough said.

Edit: what? the editor ate the quote I was replying to?

People should have expected that once the site got bought. At least the creator is gonna be making bank, but in the words of the worlds sexiess supervillian;

What did it cost?
Everything....
20th Nov 2019, 4:15 PM #49
Golden Dragon Girl

Registration date: 27th Feb 2011
I had a friend mention yesterday that he'd JUST been thinking about asking me how I liked hosting my comics here and he described how you handled this situation as a point in your favor; I thought you might appreciate hearing that~

Thank you for all your hard work, it's deeply appreciated
20th Nov 2019, 4:55 PM #50
Snarkclaw

Registration date: 9th Oct 2014
Kyo:if your site is down right now, that could also just mean it's mirroring comicfury.com instead of everythingfury.com in my account panel on dreamhost. Those two options are usually completely equivalent, but now that they've disabled comicfury.com, any domain that's mirroring it will also fail to work, until the site is back. That's a problem that will resolve itself.

Deerme.net and Sharpclaw.com must both be mirroring Comicfury.com rather than Everythingfury.com, then, because both were down while Comicfury.com was down, but my two not-custom-domain sites were fine.

Question:
Just to clarify, they both have Cname records pointing to Comicfury.com; I don't need to do anything further for them to continue working?

Kyo:e: I think snarkclaw recommended gandi.net before, It's one of the options I'm looking at.

Yes. Gandi.net is more expensive than DreamHost, but seems to have better service. Fun fun fun tradeoffs you have to consider.

Thank you, Kyo, for all your hard work.
20th Nov 2019, 5:23 PM #51
Kyo
?
if the cname is comicfury.com, it's fine and you won't have to do anything. only if you configured your domains via the server IP (which will change), you will have to do something. The way they disabled comicfury.com is changing the dns it was pointing to, hence domains pointing to comicfury.com (via cname or via dreamhost) would not work while the site was down yesterday.
20th Nov 2019, 6:39 PM #52
LMS

Registration date: 11th Jul 2016
felixp7:Edit: what? the editor ate the quote I was replying to?

If you begin your reply with a quote of the entire comment above it, the system automatically removes the quote. It can usually be told from context whether a reply is to the one above or another/more general reply and we do not currently have a quotation-notification system that would give the quote a purpose.

Though we might get a system in the far off future, Kyo currently has higher priority site updates to work on, and reproducing the comment above only acts as superfluous organization. Removing automatically it helps keep pages from getting too cluttered or excessively long.
20th Nov 2019, 6:58 PM #53
TanteiSakana
Registration date: 29th Dec 2009
people:Smack Jeeves

Wait shit I still have an account there better fix that lol
20th Nov 2019, 8:05 PM #54
AgentFink
Dresses like an Agent, produces like a Manager
Registration date: 26th Jan 2017
Kyo:if your site is down right now, that could also just mean it's mirroring comicfury.com instead of everythingfury.com in my account panel on dreamhost. Those two options are usually completely equivalent, but now that they've disabled comicfury.com, any domain that's mirroring it will also fail to work, until the site is back. That's a problem that will resolve itself.

so if when setting up the domain, I told you to change your name servers to the following:

ns1.dreamhost.com
ns2.dreamhost.com
ns3.dreamhost.com

and you did, you won't have to do anything, it'll start working again on its own in a few hours. I can also swap you over real quick if you want

I have the same issue Kyo, my nameservers are the same as above, but the site isn't up.
Any help would be appreciated :)
20th Nov 2019, 8:17 PM #55
Kyo
?
it's working for me, what's probably happening is that you haven't closed your browser since the downtime, so it's still caching the old invalid DNS config. If you hit ctrl + f5 or restart your browser, it should start working.
20th Nov 2019, 8:31 PM #56
IronHorseComics

Registration date: 5th May 2019
Kind of a dick move of them to shut the site down without much warning.
20th Nov 2019, 8:53 PM #57
ThatPastaComic

Registration date: 25th Mar 2019
I use the antivirus software Bitdefender and initially it blocked me from accessing CF on the 19th, when I clicked to proceed regardless it showed me the dreamhost error page.

Bitdefender's never done that before.
20th Nov 2019, 9:27 PM #58
Kyo
?
the reason is that dreamhost redirected the site to an error page, which does not have a valid https certificate for the domain comicfury.com. So essentially bitdefender was doing what it was supposed to, it was warning you that someone had hijacked our site, basically. Just in this case, the someone was just our hosting company
20th Nov 2019, 9:47 PM #59
Morgenstern
Fun-sized
Registration date: 17th Jun 2010
bitdefender was being a bro and trying to warn us about using dreamhost
20th Nov 2019, 11:27 PM #60
ThatPastaComic

Registration date: 25th Mar 2019
thanks so much for explaining. I think I'll pledge to the patreon or whatever, the thought of not having CF kind of showed me what a gift it is. Especially since they forced you/us to upgrade to a private server!
Forum > News & Announcements > Downtime 19th of November 2019
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]