Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Server Migration Complete!

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > News & Announcements > Server Migration Complete!
Pages: [1] [2]

23rd Nov 2019, 6:31 AM #21
Rocktopus

Registration date: 14th Mar 2011
Thanks for the hard work. This site is the best comic hosting site I've ever seen, and I've held off building my own site to host my comic because this one is just so perfect for all my needs.
23rd Nov 2019, 6:35 AM #22
Kyo
?
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
Well, I haven't received an email from dreamhost telling me the move was successful quite yet, but it looks like we're good! I tried restarting the old mysql server a few times while refreshing the site, just to be safe, but yeah the IP of the mysql server has also changed, so it's all good. (can you tell how reluctant I am to say that at this point?)

e: actually it looks like dreamhost somehow messed up the encoding a little. all the emoji usertitles and stuff seem broken. sigh

I have a backup with a non-broken encoding from today, but obviously I wouldn't want to take the site down to import that again. I'll have to see if I can somehow fix this

e2: I wrote a more proper "update report" about this and edited it into the OP:
The MySQL database has been transferred! Unfortunately somehow dreamhosts database transfer tool seems to not like utf-8 (what?) and all emoji and probably a lot of other non-roman characters on the site are broken!

Worry not, obviously I'm not dumb enough to rely on dreamhost to not fuck it up at this point, so I have a backup from today with the correct encoding of everything. Things can definitely be restored to how they were, it can also be restored without taking the site offline again. Hopefully this is just a matter of tweaking a setting, but worst case scenario, I'd write a tool that would manually re-transfer everything from a backup one at a time without having to take the site down again

I've written dreamhost about it, I'll wait what they have to say.
23rd Nov 2019, 6:54 AM #23
argylefox

Registration date: 11th Jul 2014
Is it fixed though? Is it?!?!?!
23rd Nov 2019, 6:59 AM #24
Kyo
?
not quite, but I would say that I'm pretty prepared for hell at this point
23rd Nov 2019, 7:54 AM #25
argylefox

Registration date: 11th Jul 2014
Kyo:not quite, but I would say that I'm pretty prepared for hell at this point

It's on!

23rd Nov 2019, 7:57 AM #26
Kyo
?
that's adorable, I'm definitely ready for that version of hell

in other news, dreamhost are making it sound like it's thankfully just a configuration issue. Their tool for creating admin users on the server seems to be broken at the moment (i swear I'm not making this up), I emailed them about it and I'll have to wait for them to fix it, but luckily it's looking like only 4-byte utf-8 characters are affected (i.e. emoji) and not all foreign alphabets etc.
23rd Nov 2019, 1:04 PM #27
Snarkclaw

Registration date: 9th Oct 2014
Kyo:I figured out the problem, will be fixed shortly. Thanks for reporting this (by the way, it wasn't related to the CNAME thing after all, it was just a setting for redirecting to www. in the dreamhost control panel being enabled during the server move for comicfury.com somehow - which broke all domains that mirrored it in the panel when used with a www. at the start. It's a bit hard to explain but basically it was just a slight misconfiguration)

You might have to restart your browser for this to take, but it should work now

They work now; thank you for fixing this, and for everything that you are doing. This whole server move and everything related with it must be sheer agony for you, and I cannot believe that you do so much for webcomics! :-)

Rocktopus:Thanks for the hard work. This site is the best comic hosting site I've ever seen, and I've held off building my own site to host my comic because this one is just so perfect for all my needs.

Ditto. I've been looking into self-hosting solutions basically the whole time that I've had a webcomic (my first site was self-hosted, in fact), but ComicFury really makes maintaining a webcomic site easy... because @Kyo deals with all the stress.
23rd Nov 2019, 2:16 PM #28
CACKLE.N.COMICS

Registration date: 13th Apr 2014
You Rock Kyo!! Thanks for the service!
23rd Nov 2019, 4:06 PM #29
LeRenardRoux
Scrabble Loser ?
Registration date: 27th Jul 2013
Location: at the bottom of a stair whose top is invisible with light
Well done, Kyo. Looks like it's finally resolved.

Or is it?

Also great:
"To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...."
23rd Nov 2019, 4:15 PM #30
Matt Comics
?️‍???????????? ??? ??
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
not enough joke posts in News & Announcements lately, Kyo.

but other than that, congrats!

also, where is my usertitle? give it back, Dreamhost.
Pages: [1] [2]