Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - I want to draw a comic.. your comic

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Co-Authors offered/wanted > I want to draw a comic.. your comic
Pages: [1]

"I want to draw a comic.. your comic", 9 days ago, 3:00 AM #1
heckos

Registration date: 21st Nov 2014
I have a hankering to draw comics and no current projects of my own that I feel motivated for, so I'm here in the hopes that someone might be interested in working with me to bring their story to life.

Ideally I'd love to do a shortish story, but I'd be open to considering a longer one if it were under the right circumstances!

This work would be paid, but depending on the style complexity, color (or lack therof), and length that would vary greatly.

I have a lot of comics experience and a unique style. Please comment or PM if you have any questions!

Samples:

Joe's Hill and the Jesus Tree (2018)

Excerpt from Frames (2017)

9 days ago, 5:31 AM #2
shastab24

Registration date: 15th Mar 2012
While I would love for somebody to jump onto one of my comics for an issue, that's both likely not what you mean as well as something I doubt I could afford. But I could ask for other people in this thread: what are your rates for this? Always helpful to know that, so those like me who most likely can't afford it can easily step aside and not try to move things forward and waste your time.

Also, you have some great art. Whoever does have the ability to commission you will have some quality stuff.
9 days ago, 5:40 AM #3
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
How low can you go?
9 days ago, 7:49 PM #4
heckos

shastab24:While I would love for somebody to jump onto one of my comics for an issue, that's both likely not what you mean as well as something I doubt I could afford. But I could ask for other people in this thread: what are your rates for this? Always helpful to know that, so those like me who most likely can't afford it can easily step aside and not try to move things forward and waste your time.

Also, you have some great art. Whoever does have the ability to commission you will have some quality stuff.

E-hero Vulven:How low can you go?

@shastab24 - Thank you!

It really does depend heavily on the level of detail and whether the work will be colored, so take these prices as a vague guide and not as set in stone.

The Joe's Hill example is pretty time-intensive, so I'd probably want $100+ per page. (The colored title page would be a separate amount, $80+ depending on content)

If I were to do something smaller and more simple like in the Frames example, I would try to go for about $60-$70 a page because the level of polish and detail is very different.

The prices would vary also depending on the ultimate story length, and I might be open to discounting the total cost. Example: Seven pages at $70 a page = $490, but I would consider doing it for less.

I know my chances of finding an interested party on here are limited, but I figured I might as well try since I don't make enough to cover my student loans at my regular job and that's.. terrifying lol.

My general character art/portraiture prices can be found here.
9 days ago, 10:07 PM #5
dougwarner59

Registration date: 13th Jan 2012
I have been doing Freelance comics part time for about 3 years; I have created over 300 pages of freelance art and the most I have made per page was $60 (that is a full color page.) I usually have to take a story they wrote and turn it into a script that will fit the number of pages they want (that takes about an hour for every 4 or 5 pages)and I usually have to make changes to my artwork and text for no additional money. You may be a better artist than me so you may be able to get better rates. Personally, I would be too afraid to ask for the kind of money you are asking because there are plenty of good artist out there that will do it for a lot cheaper. When I first stared off I was making about $10 or less per page. Now I average about $50 per page(full color with text.) But, I have gotten a lot faster and I can usually do a full color page with 5 or 6 frames in less than 6 hours. Less frames take less time so for me to do a cover or full page illustration takes the least amount of time and is the most cost effective. I would never quite a regular job to become an freelance artist just for the money. The time I spent doing freelance I could have made more money working a minimum wage job. If I were you I would start off doing both and if you find out you can make more money freelancing then quit or take a part time job while you freelance. Anyway, though I would share and good luck.
9 days ago, 10:12 PM #6
shastab24

Registration date: 15th Mar 2012
Well, I can hope somebody does have the funds. I know it can be difficult to find such people sometimes, but such is as it is. I know I use Fiverr to freelance--but have mainly only found success in flatting and graphic design (but maybe that's an indication of my ability to draw over the site's relevance to getting customers), or moreso if I want to commission somebody else. Sure, that's more designed for single pages and the like, and not as much on full collaboration, but such is as it is. You've probably already considered them, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
8 days ago, 12:11 AM #7
heckos

dougwarner59:I have been doing Freelance comics part time for about 3 years; I have created over 300 pages of freelance art and the most I have made per page was $60 (that is a full color page.) I usually have to take a story they wrote and turn it into a script that will fit the number of pages they want (that takes about an hour for every 4 or 5 pages)and I usually have to make changes to my artwork and text for no additional money. You may be a better artist than me so you may be able to get better rates. Personally, I would be too afraid to ask for the kind of money you are asking because there are plenty of good artist out there that will do it for a lot cheaper. When I first stared off I was making about $10 or less per page. Now I average about $50 per page(full color with text.) But, I have gotten a lot faster and I can usually do a full color page with 5 or 6 frames in less than 6 hours. Less frames take less time so for me to do a cover or full page illustration takes the least amount of time and is the most cost effective. I would never quite a regular job to become an freelance artist just for the money. The time I spent doing freelance I could have made more money working a minimum wage job. If I were you I would start off doing both and if you find out you can make more money freelancing then quit or take a part time job while you freelance. Anyway, though I would share and good luck.

I think you'll find that if you speak to other professional comic artists that they would often charge higher rates than I've listed here. As a highly skilled trade, art deserves to be paid for accordingly, and charging $60 for not only the work of drawing a page but also coloring, lettering, and editing the script to fit is really unfair to yourself.

If that colored, typeset page and the editing took a total of six hours (which is optimistic), you're only making ten dollars an hour without accounting for the worth of licensing, materials, etc. This puts you far under the minimum wage of most states. I would recommend that you raise prices at least a bit to make your effort and time worth it.
8 days ago, 12:33 AM #8
wesley-draws

Registration date: 27th Jul 2019
I don't have a comic project in mind, but if you're open to other types of commissions I'd love to hire you! I'll send a PM :)
8 days ago, 1:00 AM #9
Taily
Environment Knight
Registration date: 9th Mar 2010
I have paid $95 a comic page just for lineart, no backgrounds, no nothing. Heckos's prices are incredibly fair.

Heckos... do you... draw furries?
8 days ago, 1:07 AM #10
dougwarner59

Registration date: 13th Jan 2012
heckos:I think you'll find that if you speak to other professional comic artists that they would often charge higher rates than I've listed here. As a highly skilled trade, art deserves to be paid for accordingly, and charging $60 for not only the work of drawing a page but also coloring, lettering, and editing the script to fit is really unfair to yourself.

If that colored, typeset page and the editing took a total of six hours (which is optimistic), you're only making ten dollars an hour without accounting for the worth of licensing, materials, etc. This puts you far under the minimum wage of most states. I would recommend that you raise prices at least a bit to make your effort and time worth it.

I agree it's not fair but I would like to get some jobs instead on none. I believe from past experience that most people who are not artist don't realize how much work goes into each page. I say this because I just got a client who accepted to pay me $25 an hour(which is kind of a red flag for me because most clients don't want to go over $10 an hour). Anyways, it is a black and white comic and the first page took a little over 3 hours to complete I told him how long it took and because of his reaction I told him I would only charged him for 2 hours, but he still couldn't figure out why it took so long and cost so much. He ask me if I could do it cheaper and I told him, no 50 dollars a page is the cheapest I could do. Then I told him it would be okay with me if he wanted to get out of the contract. He said because he liked my work he would stick with me for the next 5 pages and let me know after that.

Another problem is sometimes you can't find work. I've went months without getting any new work.

I really don't want to be a downer. Your artwork is really good and you may be able to get the money you ask want. I know I haven't been able to.
One week ago, 1:14 AM #11
heckos

Taily:I have paid $95 a comic page just for lineart, no backgrounds, no nothing. Heckos's prices are incredibly fair.

Heckos... do you... draw furries?

Technically yes! I don't do it too often but I have done furries situationally and I enjoyed it. I did a piece for your contest a few months ago, but that one is very detailed compared most comic work haha

Some furry work I've done: