Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > What did you get done today? -a webcomic thread-
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
8th Mar 2020, 7:36 AM #221
loved birds way before they were the word
I relettered the first chapter of KNM. Again.

The font I'd originally picked had major kerning and spacing issues that made it unworkable. I wasn't happy with the gigantic spaces between words and so I spent the weekend in Clip Studio adding new word balloons and text. It was bothering me a lot and I wanted to fix it while I had a block of free time carved out. I searched far and wide for the most fun, unique font for my comic.........and settled on one of the most popular fonts for webcomics because it was extremely readable. WELP. I'm using Comic Sans Digital Strip 2.

Hand-lettering my comic was a mistake on my part. I was inexperienced and had no idea what I was doing. I spent a lot of time this weekend covering up bad choices I made with formatting. The tails cross in not just one, but TWO places and it made me want die. I won't be making that mistake in the future. No, I'm not redrawing my first few pages. You literally could not pay me enough money to touch them again.

There's also the sneaky fact that I'll be getting my design degree soon. I didn't want to go out into the workforce and have a comic that uses an illegible font in my background.
8th Mar 2020, 11:26 AM #222
I woke up early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep because my mind was running. So I outlined a short episode of the soon-to-be-rebranded Cultish Manners in my head, and then when I still couldn't sleep, I typed it up, sent it to a collaborator to run it by them and started talking to another artist about commissioning them to do the art. Then I did some crude layouts to see how many pages it would be. It's been a very productive morning and since Spouse wants to spend today doing art, I expect the afternoon will be similar.
8th Mar 2020, 8:25 PM #223
Managed to color five pages of Crimson Knights. Almost halfway through an entire chapter.
9th Mar 2020, 12:39 AM #224
One lesson I have to learn with "to-do" lists is that I have to start giving myself credit for "good enough." This goes along with my 95% completion problem, where with most big tasks IRL I will get to about 90-95% of the way done with it and totally stall out at that last 5-10. I have to be realistic with myself that that last 5-10% may never happen (or not for a long time) and it's better to feel good about the 90-95 I got done and check the goddamn thing off the list.

THAT BEING SAID... Our office is officially "good enough," and my drawing desk is ready to go!!! The question is, do I try to break in "the new space" on this night, cursed night of all nights, Daylight-Savings-Time-before-a-Monday-morning night, at already 8:30 pm????? Or do I wait until tomorrow when I come home from work and have a little more time to spare?

[in Tommy Wiseau voice] I guess we'll see-eeee~~
9th Mar 2020, 1:37 AM #225
loved birds way before they were the word
I FIXED THE ABSOLUTE LAST OF MY LETTERING MISTAKES AND NOW I’LL NEVER HAVE TO DICK AROUND WITH MY TRADITIONALLY DRAWN PAGES EVER AGAIN YEHAAAAA
10th Mar 2020, 7:09 AM #226
I inked 75% percent of a page, that's all I could do with my spare time today. But I'm still happy because for the past week I've finally continued my comic after months of zero progress.
A dangerous path (action adventure) ON HIATUS

Various artworks
11th Mar 2020, 5:27 AM #227
Finished and uploaded my latest page! Three weeks ahead of posting schedule now!
12th Mar 2020, 11:20 PM #228
Finished page 13 sketch. I'm in the sketching mood these days. This weekend I'll start page 14 sketch.
13th Mar 2020, 1:32 AM #229
the only safe place is the top shelf
Finished page 24 of Chapter 22 - I am especially proud of that last panel...

And I also finished another page, for another project that is yet to be revealed...
13th Mar 2020, 1:39 AM #230
It's been so long since I sat down to work on anything that it's hard to find where to reenter. I feel like a new driver trying to get into a traffic circle.

I stared at one page, as it's pretty much complete and just needs to be scanned; then I erased the sketch lines of the inked foregrounds I've done on the scene that follows it. Then I stalled out and went leafing through all my sketch references and sketchbooks, not looking for anything, just browsing.

I wish tere hadn't been so much time passing between when I last drew and now. It's like a starved person at a buffet- I want to do this, but also that, and also that, and what about in the future when I do that.... etc.

Maybe tomorrow will be more productive.
13th Mar 2020, 2:00 AM #231
Got a midweek update in!
13th Mar 2020, 4:25 AM #232
Finished page 25 of my comic! Despite only 4 pages being out, I AM still working on some. So guys, I did it. I reached a quarter of a hundred pages. 25 pages and still growing in such a short amount of time is just phenomenal--
13th Mar 2020, 6:25 AM #233
Paid the first half of the fee to the artist I commissioned for a four-page story, sent him my scribbled layouts to support him with drawing. Did some more watercolored illustration practice. No comic work directly.
Two weeks ago, 10:21 PM #234
Working on a single-page vignette right now. Drunk Eddie is so tragic but so fun to write and draw. I'm keeping track of my start and stop times (we'll see if I keep remembering to do that) because i"m interested to see how long it takes me to do a page from start to finish. Should be a relatively low-inensity page in terms of needing to do any research or get any reference images and there's text but no dialogue so it's a good baseline of a minimum time frame.
Two weeks ago, 10:52 PM #235
put together an art piece to post as prep for a serious arc, will probably be the page for next week or the week after, which means i am actually building a buffer despite my best efforts
Ko-Fi | succ up to zucc | reddit
13 days ago, 3:29 AM #236
yaaaas build dat buff!!!!

I timed my start and stop times- my longest stretch lasted about a half hour, but most were between 5 and 15 minutes. I thought I worked for a lot less time cumulatively but it ended up being just under 2 hours of work. That's a primary sketch and ink. Tomorrow I'll keep track again when I ink lettering and add in background elements and maybe even color. I had saved this page for a while because i wanted to do it all in one day, but given how wacky things are right now in, like, the country, I can probably give myself a break and count "one day" as "one 24 hour chunk of time."
13 days ago, 6:28 AM #237
I just uploaded all five of next week's pages. The week after that is already drawn and I'm halfway through applying all the grey marker ^_^
13 days ago, 7:11 PM #238
I'm so sorry for dominating this thread

I just colored that page I was working on last night. There's 6 panels and each one has its own color scheme. Surprisingly I blitzed through it in a little over an hour. There's a few more touches I want to add and I'm debating whether to get colored pencils involved...

Lol I just added up my time from the morning and it worked out exactly to the minute the same amount I did yesterday!!

Assuming it takes another 30 minutes to finish the page, it works out to 4 hours and about 20 minutes to do a single page. Like I said I know it was a "light" page content wise in terms of not having to go out of my way for reference images or detailed backgrounds or dialogue but like, now I know I *could do* a 4 page scene in less than 20 hours. A lot of my scenes are less than that, and that's reasonable to do in a week when I think about just the numbers like that.

Thankyou all for unwillingly indulging and being audience to my great timing experiment; hope you join me next time when I just keep talking more!!
12 days ago, 4:35 AM #239
I've been real stumped coming up with my next page that's due up in a couple of weeks and I am hoping to come up with something to story board today, so with no strip to work on I just drew a bunch of other stuff I can post throughout the week on social media like my OC as a Pokemon Trainer, a St. Paddys art, and some little gag for April fools day. Also used the time to update a few things on the site like Cast bios and media. So it was a productively unproductive weekend.
10 days ago, 1:46 AM #240
Finished page 13 and completed the sketch of page 14.

School has been a betch these days, there will be probably another week when I won't post anything.