Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > What did you get done today? -a webcomic thread-
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14
4 days ago, 11:56 PM #261
I'm a bit jealous. For me it's like which markers will I sacrifice for this one lol.

Honestly I like the way my effect turned out after all and I'm almost done with the scene which is cool because then I have a 3 week buffer after the next page goes up. My problem now is I keep adding more layers of color and I'm worried it's not going to look as good after it's scanned and won't fix nicely.

Seriously I think these pages are the most saturated I've ever done. I am mostly happy with them though and it's a good lesson to go one step beyond my regular "yup that's good enough" stopping point. I've passed that point at least 3 or 4 times by now and I'm glad I kept pushing through it, and that I had the time and space to be able to push through it.
3 days ago, 8:36 AM #262
KAM

Oh, didn't realize you used real colors rather than computer.

I've tried markers, colored pencils, watercolor pencils, acrylic paint, even cutouts of colored paper, but once they've been scanned or had a digital camera photograph them they all look washed out and terrible.
3 days ago, 10:25 AM #263
I was able to color and shade a page today. Also, it seems that it's less stressful to work on an page entirely then work on multiple pages in parts.

Page 1 Sketch -> Page 1 inking -> Page 1 coloring -> Rest -> So on and so forth... -> Done!

is much less stress-inducing than

Page 1-5 Sketch -> Page 1-5 inking -> Page 1-5 coloring -> Done!
3 days ago, 1:49 PM #264
KAM:Oh, didn't realize you used real colors rather than computer.

I've tried markers, colored pencils, watercolor pencils, acrylic paint, even cutouts of colored paper, but once they've been scanned or had a digital camera photograph them they all look washed out and terrible.

It never looks perfect when freshly scanned, I have to tweak saturation and the levels a bit, but I can usually get it close to "the real thing." It takes patience and a lot of fiddling around though.

Reapeageddon:I was able to color and shade a page today. Also, it seems that it's less stressful to work on an page entirely then work on multiple pages in parts.

Page 1 Sketch -> Page 1 inking -> Page 1 coloring -> Rest -> So on and so forth... -> Done!

It's funny how everyone works differently. I have an easier time staying motivated and focused if I just stay on the same step for a while over the whole scene. To me it's a bit like prepping all your ingredients before you start cooking. I guess for you the analogy may be it's like finishing prepping lunch before you start prepping dinner :)
3 days ago, 1:49 PM #265
KAM:Oh, didn't realize you used real colors rather than computer.

It never looks perfect when freshly scanned, I have to tweak saturation and the levels a bit, but I can usually get it close to "the real thing." It takes patience and a lot of fiddling around though.

Reapeageddon:I was able to color and shade a page today. Also, it seems that it's less stressful to work on an page entirely then work on multiple pages in parts.

It's funny how everyone works differently. I have an easier time staying motivated and focused if I just stay on the same step for a while over the whole scene. To me it's a bit like prepping all your ingredients before you start cooking. I guess for you the analogy may be it's like finishing prepping lunch before you start prepping dinner :)
2 days ago, 5:52 AM #266
loved birds way before they were the word
mitchellbravo:It never looks perfect when freshly scanned, I have to tweak saturation and the levels a bit, but I can usually get it close to "the real thing." It takes patience and a lot of fiddling around though.

Oh god, I know that pain. The first 30 odd pages of KNM were done with marker and India ink and it took forever to get the scans looking right. The levels tool is a godsend.

And yeah I have to stick with doing only one step at a time to maintain patience on pages. I tend to render individual parts like puzzle pieces instead of working the whole thing at once.

In other news, I finished flatting my most recent pages today. Discovering that the reference layer tool ACTUALLY EXISTS has already saved me so much time.
2 days ago, 12:54 PM #267
Lutzbug:Oh god, I know that pain. The first 30 odd pages of KNM were done with marker and India ink and it took forever to get the scans looking right. The levels tool is a godsend.

I still have trouble now and then with scanners "reading colors wrong," I can't explain it any better than that, but particularly around skin tones, things were getting parsed really badly when digitized. I had one scene with a character with pink undertones adn another with peach undertones, after scanning the pink person looked moderately sunburned, the peach person was simpsons yellow to the point of blurring the boundary between her hair and skin o_o On another page, browns were turning purple, and purples were turning red. I couldn't even use the hue adjustment tool because as soon as I fixed one color, it would then match another color that needed changing, and I couldn't do all at once, because everything needed individual amounts of adjusting....
I've since switched scanners but that was a micro hell

And yeah I have to stick with doing only one step at a time to maintain patience on pages. I tend to render individual parts like puzzle pieces instead of working the whole thing at once.

In other news, I finished flatting my most recent pages today. Discovering that the reference layer tool ACTUALLY EXISTS has already saved me so much time.

I like the feeling of the puzzle piece method where you get to that point and look down adn you're like "Oh! This is just about finished."

What does the reference lyaer tool do?
2 days ago, 2:51 PM #268
loved birds way before they were the word
I still have trouble now and then with scanners "reading colors wrong," I can't explain it any better than that

Ugh, I know exactly what you’re talking about. Some scanners are so terrible at understanding colors that they don’t even know what to do with subtle differences in tone. I had a scanner that could not understand purple. It turned it into a dark blue every time. The same scanner blew out reds to the point where they were oversaturated and pixelly. Thankfully I don’t have this scanner anymore, but it was a pain.

It might be worth mentioning that this scanner was from 2004.

What does the reference layer tool do?

This tool is extremely useful for making comics because it makes it easier to color lineart—and I only learned of its existence a couple weeks ago. When you set your lineart layer to a reference layer, you can use the flood fill tool on separate layers as if you were coloring on the same layer as the lineart. Basically the program stops the flood fill tool from going past the lines you’ve drawn in the ref layer.

I’ve only been doing digital art for a little over a year—I was primarily a traditional artist for most of my life. I’m still learning the ins and outs of digital art, and reference layers is a tool that could have saved me eons of time. I was originally going into my lineart layer, selecting the spaces between lineart, growing the selection, editing it, and THEN using the paint bucket tool on another layer. I kept thinking “there’s got to be a better way than this” but I didn’t know what it was.
2 days ago, 3:00 PM #269
Yesterday, I started to ink the first 12 pages of my upcoming story arc. I would be much further along if I hadn't caught a major sinus cold from my Dad this week...and buying Animal Crossing: New Horizons for my Switch. >_>

2 days ago, 3:34 PM #270
Blimpmaster
I've been inking and colouring some pages today--I'm taking a break right now because I realised I've been inking non-stop for about three hours #justisolationthings
Yesterday, 7:28 PM #271
I had four pages scanned in, had already edited and uploaded one, and got a really good way into editing the second one when I realized it just... was unpleasantly streaky and just not nice to look at, just sloppy. One of my art goals this year was to take more time on each page and really give my best effort instead of rushing to "get it done with." So I'm making good on that goal by pulling my markers back out and fixing the streakiness issue on all of the pages, even the one that was already "done." It's worth taking the 30-60 minutes (?) now so that for all the years to come I don't have to look back at these pages and go "Ugh, I shoulda... I wish I'd..."

It's annoying because the two hours (?) already spent editing are now for nothing, BUT on the bright side I didn't really feel like starting a new page today and this feels important and worthwhile.
Yesterday, 7:35 PM #272
Finished up on penciling my third page of the week, filling my weekly quota.