Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Are you cookin? I'm cookin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
"Are you cookin? I'm cookin", 1st Dec 2019, 7:18 PM #1
I was cookin. I made bread today for the first time since I was like 10? It came out really dense and cakey but smelled good at least. Better than last February, I tried to make pumpernickel and didn't proof the yeast and the loaves never rose adn just had the smell, color, and consistency of equal parts dirt and brown playdoh blent together. Those things went straight from the oven into the garb

Planning butternut squash soup for dinner.

Are you cookin
1st Dec 2019, 7:27 PM #2
Venture Capitalist
Cooking?! I'm on day 4 of turkey and I still can't see the back of the fridge.
1st Dec 2019, 7:53 PM #3
I have had left over turkey and stuffing for lunch and dinner since last Thursday. send help.
5th Dec 2019, 3:09 AM #4
Mods- This thread should have gone in Mediterannean Avenue, I'm sorry for the error

(I did not cook today unleass you count tea)
5th Dec 2019, 3:14 AM #5
Kyo
🐊
i forgive you
5th Dec 2019, 3:20 AM #6
I was cookin' last weekend-- made a pumpkin loaf to bring up to my brother for Thanksgiving, and then together with his partner we all made pumpkin chili that was amazing. Recipe here. (we omitted beans and added in a bit of masala spice just for the hell of it)

I really wanna cook more and I have no excuse since I work from home most days. My main hurdle is motivation and setting aside prep time before I get too hungry.
5th Dec 2019, 3:21 AM #7
Not really cooking, but I tossed in some leftover duck with some fresh stringbeans and an egg in a small bowl and popped that into the microwave for two minutes. 'Twas pretty tasty.
5th Dec 2019, 3:45 AM #8
🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍏🍍
about 3 weeks ago I decided to boil a leftover piece of pizza I had

I ended up eating it afterwards and it tasted pretty much the same.
5th Dec 2019, 12:43 PM #9
I made stir fry tofu & veggies with brown rice for dinner last night.

Now I'm making some soup and sausage for breakfast. Mmmm, soup.
5th Dec 2019, 12:46 PM #10
this thanksgiving was the first time i brine a turkey. i always hated how dry it was each year and after tasting a family's marinated one, wanted to give it a shot.

family said it was the best turkey they had and it only lasted 2 days instead of the usual week of leftovers. XD
5th Dec 2019, 1:48 PM #11
This was years ago, but.. I cooked/baked a apple cake, it was delicious yet tough...
Also tried making dumplings last year(?) but made a deep friend cheese biscuit instead..

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

5th Dec 2019, 2:14 PM #12
goes fast
I made Potage le Magnifique a few weeks ago, I left out the jarrin root while making it though. I'm planning on making tomato soup and honey bread next week.
6th Dec 2019, 1:43 AM #13
Seems I've become known in the family for no-bake Malteaser Cheesecake. The secret is to melt Nutella and pour it over as a chocolate layer for a glossy finish.

It's gorgeous but I can only make it on special occasions as if I'm left alone with it, it disappears. And there's half a kilo of cream cheese in it. Deadly combo
6th Dec 2019, 9:37 AM #14
My dorm doesn't have an oven or a stove but when I was home for Thanksgiving I got to cook and some homemade cornbread using my grandma's recipe. That's the good stuff!
8th Dec 2019, 9:16 PM #15
I can explain
I tried making soup today. I've never gotten soup to actually work before, but I have a sack of leftover potatoes and figured I'd give potato soup another go. Good winter meal, despite it being like a mild autumn day outside.

So I found a recipe online that didn't call for too many ingredients I didn't already have, bought the remaining ingredients, and gave it a try.

First problem: It didn't really describe times. "Simmer at low heat until tender" is awfully vague. I left it for about 45 minutes, still wasn't super soft but I pressed on anyways.

Second problem: I apparently have no small volume-measuring devices. Had to eyeball anything measured in tablespoons. Think I undershot on a lot of it.

Third problem: Somehow I don't own any black pepper? Used steak seasoning as a substitute, since it's basically pepper and salt plus a few other bits.

Fourth problem: Wait where the fuck is my potato peeler? I know I owned one at one point.

Fifth problem: Oh shit it's about to spill over. Transferred half to another pot for final cooking, still made a mess but at least I didn't have boiling-hot water splashing everywhere.

Final result: For a "creamy potato soup", it really just tastes like vegetables boiled in water. Which sure, that's what soup is, but it's thin and runny despite me using twice the instructed amount of sour cream, in a last-ditch attempt to thicken it up. The onions way overpowered the potatoes, despite me using an extra potato (because I *still* have leftovers). The onions were overcooked and the carrots were undercooked and the celery was just a complete waste.

Still, it doesn't have that battery-acid taste that my last attempt at potato soup did. So it's an improvement. But now I need to decide whether I want to keep eating this for another dozen meals, or toss it out. I'm not even sure if I have enough tupperware to store it all.

And instead of leftover potatoes, I now have leftover potatoes, celery, carrots, and a half-dozen liters of mediocre soup.
8th Dec 2019, 9:25 PM #16
Kyo
🐊
if your soup comes out too thin, you can just leave it on the stove longer and it'll thicken up over time. if you're eating leftovers tomorrow it may also have thickened up a bit already, I'd at least give it a shot
8th Dec 2019, 9:39 PM #17
Just make sure to stir constantly. Don't want any of the solid stuff settling to the bottom and burning.
8th Dec 2019, 9:41 PM #18
Venture Capitalist
add corn starch:

if it's good enough for stir fry

it's good enough for you
8th Dec 2019, 9:55 PM #19
GMan003:tablespoons

I know this is too late, and if you don't have measuring cups it won't help, but there's 4 tablespoons in 1/4 cup (or 2 in 1/8 of a cup). Butter sticks have lines on the wrapper that denote tablespoon size pats, but if you have the butter out of a wrapper or on a butter plate that doesn't also have the measurements, a finger width pat of butter is about a tablespoon.

I love making soup but I've had a lot of failures like you describe. Like kyo says sometimes you just need to leave it to cook longer, and sometimes you just need to try it again as leftovers. I made a potato leek soup years ago that managed to have absolutely no flavor- I dumped a large amount of curry in just to imbue it with some sort of taste. I made that recipe again this year, used I think some more leek than called for, and made sure to let things simmer and sautee enough to become flavorful and it went a lot better.

Soup either turns out delicious or like you say just water with vegetables in it. keep some bouillon cubes on hand and you cna always toss a few in to the soup to add concentrated flavor in a pinch. They're one of my favorite kitchen staples these days. On cold afternoons i sometimes heat up a cup of water like I"m making tea and just drink a bouillon cube.

edit: Also don't underestimate the importance of salt in bringing out other flavors. In an effort to be healthy I stopped using salt for a while and couldn't figure out why things tasted so bland. You don't even really need a lot, a little goes a long way. It just seems to wake up the other flavor groups.
8th Dec 2019, 10:04 PM #20
mitchellbravo:edit: Also don't underestimate the importance of salt in bringing out other flavors. In an effort to be healthy I stopped using salt for a while and couldn't figure out why things tasted so bland. You don't even really need a lot, a little goes a long way. It just seems to wake up the other flavor groups.

idk if you've seen the miniseries "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" on netflix but the salt episode opened my eyes to just how many different types of salt are out there and how each can add a different taste or bring out new flavors in a dish. Chemistry in cooking is buckwild.