Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - 3D Elements For Bgs

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > 3D Elements For Bgs
Pages: [1]

"3D Elements For Bgs", 10 days ago, 7:11 PM #1
Kokoneos

Registration date: 27th Jun 2015
I was thinking about how ppl are using 3D modeling to set their scenes these days.

Just thought I'd share sources I use for architectural modeling- as most companies are starting to create 3D models of their products so that interior designers can more easily use their work on their plans.

Some of the download options may be unusable due to them being formatted for AutoCad, ArchiCad, Revit, etc etc But most of the objects at least have a sketch-up file.

Now these products are copyrighted so I wouldn't necessarily plug and play the way I do for school and work but these could be great references. :)

Bim Object | General models from multiple manufactures

Steel Case | Mainly furniture models

Hermin Miller | Furniture models

Vitra | Furniture and Fabric Swatches

Cooper Lighting | These may be useless as they only provide Revit files

There are many more websites that offer this sort of thing.
10 days ago, 8:45 PM #2
khkddn
??Death is upon us??
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
Dang I forget that autocad does 3d stuff too, I only use it for 2d stuff, still have to look into that. I've used online house layout builders to make mockups of my characters houses, it helps a lot. The last one I used was roomsketcher which apparently you can use on tablet? Idk, having these types of refs is super helpful though
9 days ago, 12:50 AM #3
BMR

Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
If the backgrounds are going to just be used for reference, then I've found that SweetHome3D is a great tool for that. It's pretty much drag-drop for most things, and definitely easier to learn than most 3D packages.

Far as I know, it was primarily designed for making floor plans for visualizing architectural stuff, but is aimed more at designers rather than engineer-types. It's pretty intuitive to use, and is a pretty good resource for putting together quick backgrounds that one can then edit/draw over.

Takes just a few minutes to throw something like this together:

Though with some extra work, images can be made to render out like this:

And their built-in library is pretty extensive, lots of stuff to play around with. You can also import models and stuff from other places, so it plays really well with sites like where Kokoneos linked. But as she said, you have to be careful with licenses and the sort. The stuff that comes with SH3D is usually either GPL or CC, so there's less to worry about. But if you do need that one piece of furniture that doesn't come with it, it's easy to add it if you've downloaded it from somewhere.
9 days ago, 1:54 AM #4
AK Illustrate

Registration date: 30th Jun 2012
If you are like me and like to block things out in 3D first and then clean them up in your art program to make them look more natural with your art style, Kenney Game assets has some very good free 3D assets that are under creative commons license.

https://kenney.nl/assets?q=3d

If you plan to use blender and don't mind spending some money, blender market is my go-to. The models may also not necesarrily need blender to work if you know how to convert 3D files btween programs.

https://blendermarket.com/