Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - A Writer from Smackjeeves Appears...

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Introductions > A Writer from Smackjeeves Appears...
Pages: [1]

"A Writer from Smackjeeves Appears...", 11 days ago, 10:06 PM #1
Sol Kage

Registration date: 11 days ago
Hey guys, I'm Sol and I've been writing comics since 2006 when I started my series The Lone Swordsman, which is still ongoing to this day.

I've had other comics I've worked on, but sadly as I can't draw, I have to rely on other people (artists), and most of those projects ended up falling through, sadly. I wouldn't be opposed to starting them up again with new artists if anyone was interested, but my main focus right now is on The Lone Swordsman.

So, like a lot of people from the SJ community, I'm not pleased with what its new owners are planning on doing to the site. I don't plan on stopping my uploads there, but it did get me thinking that I could probably use a mirror in case something were to ever happen to that site. Plus, it could help me reach a new audience.

That said, my archive is pretty big. Our pages aren't exactly big, but we do have over 2,000 pages and we're on Chapter 64 of the comic.

Uploading all of that is pretty daunting, and would be fairly daunting for any potential new reader to read as well, I think.

So I'm considering uploading it a bit at a time.

Over on SJ, we upload a page three times a week. I could upload a page a day on here, but I'm also considering a different option.

I could upload a full Chapter once every week or two until it's caught up. I could then upload to here at the same time as SJ, or I could hold off until the newest chapter is completed and then upload it all at once, making it more episodic, which would give it a slightly different reading experience than if you read every page the moment it came out as we do on SJ.

I wouldn't mind some feedback from people on here on what they would prefer to see.

Also again, if you're an artist needing help from a writer either with your own idea or if you'd like to help with some of mine, let me know. I specialize in Shonen type stories, but I can do other things as well.

Anyways, hoping to hear from some of you people and maybe get more involved in the forum community than I did on SJ.
11 days ago, 10:31 PM #2
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Registration date: 24th Mar 2014
Heeeey! Welcome aboard!
11 days ago, 10:35 PM #3
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Hello there, Sol.
11 days ago, 10:49 PM #4
Timelapse11
goes fast
Registration date: 14th May 2017
Nice to meet ya, welcome to CF :3
11 days ago, 11:35 PM #5
Firefly Jelly

Registration date: 27th Nov 2019
Welcome from a fellow writer and SJ refugee!
10 days ago, 12:48 AM #6
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
Welcome!!
"Wish you well for your debut at the FuryTown", 10 days ago, 8:19 AM #7
xwindows
ascii man
Registration date: 23rd Dec 2014
Sol Kage:I could upload a full Chapter once every week or two until it's caught up. I could then upload to here at the same time as SJ, or I could hold off until the newest chapter is completed and then upload it all at once, making it more episodic, which would give it a slightly different reading experience than if you read every page the moment it came out as we do on SJ.

Sol Kage:Over on SJ, we upload a page three times a week. I could upload a page a day on here, but I'm also considering a different option.

As another S.S. SmackJeeves passenger (reader class), I would like to give a heads up regarding your "debut" strategy a bit.

Because here, updating page-to-page V.S. in bulk does not only affect your readers; it also affects your publicity.

As you might already know, the main exposure/discovery area on Comic Fury is the Recently Updated page, i.e. the front page. But the important catch is: a comic would appear at the top of this space, when a non-backdated page(s) (1) is published for public viewing, and the rate of appearance is limited to once a day per comic*.

- If you are uploading in whole chapter, and set all the pages to appear on the same date; your comic will get on the front page only once per chapter.

- However if you are uploading in whole chapter, but set the release date of each page to appear one page per day*; your comic will get on the front page every day, even you uploaded the chapter -or even the whole archive- in bulk.

See the implications?

Since your comic is new here, using the latter update strategy would let other FuryTown-goers discover your comic better while it's still in a debut stage. Manually uploading one page per day* also have a similar effect.

Once you caught up with all the archives and got all the readers you could; you might decide again whether to keep going page-to-page, or switch to bulk update for a more episodic experience.

Also, if you are targeting readers from a particular time zone and knew which time your readers check your comic, setting each page to come out at a specific daytime could improve your chance. If you choose to do this, make sure that you set your comic's time zone correctly (2), since it is separate from your personal Comic Fury time zone. (3)

Welcome to the FuryTown, the comickers' town of Free.
"Live free, or die"

-----

*7-Dec-2019 Update: The limit on Recently Updated appearance is now officially once every 8 hour per comic, to give your a fair shot on all time zones. So now, if you would like to release your archive more than once per day, clock them in.

-----

(1) If you would really like to backdate pages to reflect their original release date, I would suggest that you do it after your entire archive caught up (or at least, 24 hours* after the page in question gone visible) to make a full use of this exposure opportunity.
(2) Accessible in your comic's Webcomic Management > Info & Settings > Edit Settings page, under Webcomic Administration Settings subsection.
(3) Accessible in your Account Settings page.
10 days ago, 1:10 PM #8
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
Welcome to the CF!
10 days ago, 7:28 PM #9
Sol Kage

Really appreciate the feedback, xwindows!

Man, the changes to SJ were even worse than I imagined @_@. They even took away my full admin rights to most of my comics and I can't modify pages that I didn't personally upload. They also enlarged our pages making the resolution look really bad, and they took away my super easy to give away URL and the archives are really hard to navigate now.

Will definitely be looking to make this the main site for my comic once it's caught up.

Though if I do a page a day, that would take... over 5.5 years... and that's just for the pages I already have, let alone the ones that haven't been made yet...

Hmmm... might be better do to more than one page a day at different times of the day.
10 days ago, 9:19 PM #10
GreyCorsola

Welcome!!!
10 days ago, 9:56 PM #11
Firefly Jelly

Sol Kage:

Though if I do a page a day, that would take... over 5.5 years... and that's just for the pages I already have, let alone the ones that haven't been made yet...

Hmmm... might be better do to more than one page a day at different times of the day.

I have a lot fewer pages than that so far. I would have done a slower migration, but did it all at once out of an abundance of caution, and now I'm very glad I did. The new smackjeeves url they required for my comic doesn't work. I wouldn't want my readers to miss the Friday update, and they won't, thanks to ComicFury.

In your case, the 2x or 3x a day update migration would be great for always keeping your comic on the "newly updated" page for a loooong time.
10 days ago, 10:09 PM #12
BustyLaroo

Registration date: 5th Feb 2019
Hello and welcome! That IS quite the archive...! I do not envy the task ahead of you lol but you seem to have a good idea of what you're doing, and how to do it. :)
10 days ago, 10:29 PM #13
Sol Kage

Yeah, I decided I'm going to do five pages a day, every three hours within a 12 hour time frame until it's caught up. Would do it slower, but SJ's changes were far worse than I expected.

Just waiting on my artist to do up a Avatar for the comic before I start uploading.
10 days ago, 11:07 PM #14
Guybrush20X6

Registration date: 22nd Aug 2011
Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy your time here.

We've only had four Crocodile attacks this year so you picked a good time.
Pages: [1]