Forum > General discussion > Parents of Comicfury
Pages: 1
"Parents of Comicfury", 24th Dec 2019, 10:54 PM #1
not the one who meowed (?)
First of all, a teeny tiny explanation for my recent lack of activity

I've had to sort of unofficially go on hiatus, but even before she was born, I've had anxieties about where that'd leave my comic once this new life-stage kicked in. It brings me some hope, knowing many of you have munchkins of your own while still posting here, so if I may ask about your experience balancing parenthood and time-consuming hobbies... because right now it's a battle just getting any sleep, let alone drawing!

Did you find it easy to resume drawing comics with children? Difficult?
Was there a certain age they reached where you started to find time, again?

Bonus:

Do your children help inspire your work in any way?

P.S. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, you all :)
24th Dec 2019, 11:20 PM #2
I'm probs never going to be pregnant so I have no perspective for you.

But CONGRATS SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!!

I know of a ton of authors who took inspiration from their children. The whole Redwall series was based on stories the author told his kids at bedtime. <3
24th Dec 2019, 11:37 PM #3
πŸŽ€Official CF Wine TesterπŸŽ€
I had that worry. My baby is one year old next month and I've still been updating once a week...mostly. a few breaks here and there. But its nice to be able to go on the forums at night and still feel like I have an identity separate from parent and worker.

It is hard to keep doing comics but I draw in my spare lessons at work. Ha ha ha ha!
24th Dec 2019, 11:47 PM #4
Congrats on the new addition, NiaNook!

I don't have any kids of my own, but have been around several family members that have recently had kids and generally from what I learned from them... If you have the desire to continue with something you like, you just have to seriously just push through and do it whenever you think you can to continue your work while taking care of the baby...or have grandparents/other relatives that want to help if you ever need a little break now and then if possible.

And again, while I don't have kids of my own, my cousins' recent babies helped inspire my comic in that the main characters in it just recently had a pair of twin babies of their own.

25th Dec 2019, 12:41 AM #5
That baby is so adorable! And while I don't have kids yet, they definitely do influence my work. Their POV is always a good contributing factor to family moments.
25th Dec 2019, 4:04 AM #6
Venture Capitalist
Congratulations! What a beautiful gift!

edit: welcome aboard
27th Dec 2019, 12:18 AM #7
rivaling gator
Congrats on your beautiful bag of jelly beans! Super cute.

No parenting experience but I have been house-elf and nanny for several friends kids and each one is different. The first baby I took care of was a breeze. He could sleep through the vacuum cleaner running, I actually got a good bit of art time in while he was napping. But the second baby never slept, was really high maintenance and demanding (and also with two I never had any time to do anything other than kid herd). But I also got to hand them back over to their parents at the end of the day and you won't have that luxury.

Hoping you have a baby that naps easily and try and get your art time in little bursts.
27th Dec 2019, 12:49 AM #8
First 3-4 months was hard for me. It was simply because I was in pain after bad c section. After I got better I went to work, and I was alone at that time, because my husband was in different country, still, got my mother for a while and sister, but it was hard work. Because of lack of sleep you will be like a zombie, and it will take time till you will figure out scedule when what to do and when you can have time for your comic. BUT because of a baby I practiced drawing comic really fast, and art xD the quality was worse, but then it went really good. So just take your time. When you will be upset or mad just start to draw, not on your tablet but in some notebook, prepare new episodes in sceches and when u will have time you will continue comic :D

PS> because of my pregnancy RE:Eclipse exists.
27th Dec 2019, 4:23 AM #9
NiaNook:First of all, a teeny tiny explanation for my recent lack of activity

I've had to sort of unofficially go on hiatus, but even before she was born, I've had anxieties about where that'd leave my comic once this new life-stage kicked in. It brings me some hope, knowing many of you have munchkins of your own while still posting here, so if I may ask about your experience balancing parenthood and time-consuming hobbies... because right now it's a battle just getting any sleep, let alone drawing!

Bonus:

Not a parent, but OMG congrats! Good luck going foward!
27th Dec 2019, 4:52 AM #10
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Congratulations, NiaNook. I'm no parent but I'd probably drop most things to take care of offspring.
27th Dec 2019, 5:35 AM #11
Awww congratulations!! I have 3 myself, ages 2, 5 and 7. <3
27th Dec 2019, 6:23 AM #12
NiaNook:First of all, a teeny tiny explanation for my recent lack of activity

Bonus:

Awwww! She looks so cute!!! I hope you can find a way to balance your hobbies/taking care of your child! I definitely don’t have children yet so you have my respect, that is so cool!
27th Dec 2019, 9:48 AM #13
Nevermind, not important....

27th Dec 2019, 3:03 PM #14
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
aw, I thought this would be a thread about gator genealogy.

nice to see you back(ish) Nia! I noticed your disappearance but I thought you were simply busy with life and stuff. which is correct, but to a bigger degree than I imagined. congrats!! first a cat, now a baby. sounds like what happened to my family so long ago, if you swap the cat for a dog and the lil girl for a mischievous dude who is now typing this post.

I'm far too young and lost in the maze of my yet-to-be-discovered destiny to be a parent, though. so all I can suggest is, don't be afraid to take some time off until you manage to balance comics, babies, pets, world conquest, and lurking in the nianooks and crannies of CF.

see you around! :)
30th Dec 2019, 7:30 AM #15
Kokoneos:I'm probs never going to be pregnant so I have no perspective for you.

But CONGRATS SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!!

I know of a ton of authors who took inspiration from their children. The whole Redwall series was based on stories the author told his kids at bedtime. <3

Thank you! :D

Didn't know that about Redwall! I heard The Wizard of Oz was also spawned from a story someone told to their kids (or grandkids?).

The Letter M:I had that worry. My baby is one year old next month and I've still been updating once a week...mostly. a few breaks here and there. But its nice to be able to go on the forums at night and still feel like I have an identity separate from parent and worker.

It is hard to keep doing comics but I draw in my spare lessons at work. Ha ha ha ha!

Oh, an early Happy Birthday to your own! It's gotta take some real willpower and perseverance to keep pumping out pages while fulfilling all those roles, so kudos. (I always loved using school settings for working on personal comics)

MST3KFan:Congrats on the new addition, NiaNook!

I don't have any kids of my own, but have been around several family members that have recently had kids and generally from what I learned from them... If you have the desire to continue with something you like, you just have to seriously just push through and do it whenever you think you can to continue your work while taking care of the baby...or have grandparents/other relatives that want to help if you ever need a little break now and then if possible.

And again, while I don't have kids of my own, my cousins' recent babies helped inspire my comic in that the main characters in it just recently had a pair of twin babies of their own.

Thank you! And it sure sounds that way. It's possible, but takes real grit (or a baby that sleeps well instead of waking up everytime you put her down? @_@) It's a good idea to recruit help, but I'd hate to burden someone else to draw comics! lol And that's pretty neat about your cousins kids serving as an inspiration! Someone you know going through it must have helped portray it accurately. While researching all I could about pregnancy, birth and newborns to prepare myself, I kept thinking "Man, I feel so sorry for mom's having twins" Charlotte's held quite a torch!

MK_Wizard:That baby is so adorable! And while I don't have kids yet, they definitely do influence my work. Their POV is always a good contributing factor to family moments.

Thanks! Her head looks like a little peach, hehe
You can probably show your work to your future kids once that day comes :) Assuming you haven't already been entertaining the thought. That's gotta be interesting to read comics drawn by your own mom/dad!

lirvilas:Congratulations! What a beautiful gift!

edit: welcome aboard

She certainly is. Thank you, captain! >:)

Jessie Blue:Congrats on your beautiful bag of jelly beans! Super cute.

No parenting experience but I have been house-elf and nanny for several friends kids and each one is different. The first baby I took care of was a breeze. He could sleep through the vacuum cleaner running, I actually got a good bit of art time in while he was napping. But the second baby never slept, was really high maintenance and demanding (and also with two I never had any time to do anything other than kid herd). But I also got to hand them back over to their parents at the end of the day and you won't have that luxury.

Hoping you have a baby that naps easily and try and get your art time in little bursts.

Thank you! They are quite lovely beans, indeed.
That's very useful info about the baby's personality playing a big part. This baby seems polite, but at the same time, she hates being put down and pretends to be hungry just so she can get cuddles again, lol. I don't know what category this falls under!

princess_lom:First 3-4 months was hard for me. It was simply because I was in pain after bad c section. After I got better I went to work, and I was alone at that time, because my husband was in different country, still, got my mother for a while and sister, but it was hard work. Because of lack of sleep you will be like a zombie, and it will take time till you will figure out scedule when what to do and when you can have time for your comic. BUT because of a baby I practiced drawing comic really fast, and art xD the quality was worse, but then it went really good. So just take your time. When you will be upset or mad just start to draw, not on your tablet but in some notebook, prepare new episodes in sceches and when u will have time you will continue comic :D

PS> because of my pregnancy RE:Eclipse exists.

My goodness, thank goodness for your mother and sister. I can't imagine how hard it'd be to deal with a newborn alone WHILE recovering from a major surgery (a hard one, at that). People don't talk a lot about the recovery process that goes on after labor.
Thank you so much for the advice! Your speed and dedication to your stories while parenting is pretty inspiring! Hopefully I can get to that point XD

mightguy15:Not a parent, but OMG congrats! Good luck going foward!

Thanks, Mightguy!

E-hero Vulven:Congratulations, NiaNook. I'm no parent but I'd probably drop most things to take care of offspring.

Here here, the game changes and baby comes first. And thank you :)

BustyLaroo:Awww congratulations!! I have 3 myself, ages 2, 5 and 7. <3

3 kids, including a toddler, and still on Comicfury drawing lovely comics! Kudos to you! And thanks! Gives me a bit of hope!

ShaRose49:Awwww! She looks so cute!!! I hope you can find a way to balance your hobbies/taking care of your child! I definitely don’t have children yet so you have my respect, that is so cool!

Thank you, ShaRose :) I hope the same for you when/if that day comes

Matt Comics:

Alas, one day we shall reveal the origins of the gator and how he's related to the angry frenchmen

Haha, wouldn't have guessed anyone was keeping track, but that's right! Dog's are usually more high maintenance than cats, though, so that's something.
Thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully the guilt won't be too bothersome while trying to adjust :'> (lol, "nianooks and crannies". Of course, I shall be lurking!)
8th Jan 2020, 10:02 PM #16
rivaling gator
If she wants to be held all of the time I would suggest some sort of sling so she has the contact she wants but you still have your hands free to do stuff.

10th Jan 2020, 3:50 AM #17
Jessie Blue:

Oh yeah, that works when she's really sleepy, but otherwise she'll complain about the lack of wiggle room... or maybe me tying it wrong.
A great suggestion, though. If only I had more luck with it :')

EDIT-----
To no one in particular, just venting;
According to my mom (of 6 kids) and observing/reading from other moms, I understand now that this baby is more on the difficult side.
Pages: 1