Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Yet another 3D comics question
Pages: 1
"Yet another 3D comics question", 25th Dec 2019, 11:21 PM #1
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
Hey guys, sorry about all the questions regarding 3D.

One final thing is stopping me from producing on my 3d comics, do you guys how to light scenes with skyboxes in Daz studio.

I tried everything but the scenes stays dark. The Lumien thing is at 50,000 for all lights that I'm using (the lighting props came with the scene when I bought it), all of the lighting and render settings are at default but the thing still comes out dark no matter what I do.
26th Dec 2019, 4:48 PM #2
UnitMComics

Registration date: 22nd Dec 2018
What luminance units are you using? Try kcd/m2 instead of cd/m2.

Is Render Settings > Environment > Environment Mode set to Dome and Scene?
26th Dec 2019, 7:16 PM #3
mightguy15

Thank you for this information. I ended up finding out what was wrong though. Here is the image I was working on:

Turns out the background I was using was for 3Delight, not Iray. I ended up PMing the creator of This background that I used and he/she gave me a pretty in depth rundown of not just the fact that his/her enviornment only works with 3Delight, but also how I can make it compatable with Iray.

Thank you for the response though, that is actually similar to what he/she told me as well.
8th Jan 2020, 7:54 PM #4
UnitMComics

Glad you figured it out. :)

Getting good lighting results in DAZ3D can be a befuddling time suck sometimes. I try to stick to HDRI as much as I can these days, as it’s a little more predictable than some of the other options.

Render is looking good!
Two weeks ago, 10:30 PM #5
darkhog

Registration date: 15th Jan 2013
Honestly I think DAZ3D is the worst for making comics. Not only you have to pay for features that are actually useful, but then you're fighting with issues like that. Yes, DAZ is easy, but at the cost of control.

I'd honestly would recommend learning Blender (both modeling, rigging as well as texturing), especially now that Eevee renderer is a thing. Your fans will thank you for the greater quality it will bring once you'll learn it. There are plenty of great Blender tutorials and even ones made for previous versions are still valid, it's just that most of the stuff will be in a different place and some key shortcuts may differ.

With Blender and enough work you can achieve Pixar-level quality or even photorealism, with DAZ your art will plateau after you learn to squeeze all the juices from DAZ renderer (and it's a very mediocre renderer). Not to mention that you need to pay in DAZ for features that are so basic they usually are available in demo versions of commercial 3d software.
Two weeks ago, 11:35 PM #6
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
While I agree that Blender offers more control (it's a complete modeling package after all), iRay looks pretty amazing. Cycles, iRay, Pixar's RenderMan, all these are unbiased renderers that use the same physically-based mathematical models of light and materials, so they should look very similar if not identical in the final render, given the same parameters for light and materials.

https://www.deviantart.com/second-circle/art/Daz3d-Iray-Skin-Shader-Settings-2-533718549

p.s. But, yeah, Blender's Eevee blows Daz3d away (in sheer speed). I think more comic artists will use Eevee for final rendering of comics because it renders instantly and looks passable.

https://www.deviantart.com/kenshin20080/art/Rebecca-rendered-by-Blender-2-8-EEVEE-798237448
11 days ago, 3:37 PM #7
UnitMComics

Blender looks like a great tool, but it’s certainly not for me.

I want easier to use, not harder. Less time intensive, not more.

Comic creation is a hobby, and, frankly, not even one I prioritize.

Yes, DAZ3D sucks (render times are long the interface is garbage, products are costly), but the problem isn’t lack of control, if anything it’s too much control, too much information.

I want to spend less time on my comic, not more.

Blender looks like it can produce impressive results, but the time investment is just too much.
11 days ago, 4:47 PM #8
BMR

Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
These are always an interesting read. I don't have much else to add to what's already been said here, but I'll go ahead and post here so I'm subscribed.
11 days ago, 5:48 PM #9
mightguy15

darkhog:Honestly I think DAZ3D is the worst for making comics. Not only you have to pay for features that are actually useful, but then you're fighting with issues like that. Yes, DAZ is easy, but at the cost of control.

I'd honestly would recommend learning Blender (both modeling, rigging as well as texturing), especially now that Eevee renderer is a thing. Your fans will thank you for the greater quality it will bring once you'll learn it. There are plenty of great Blender tutorials and even ones made for previous versions are still valid, it's just that most of the stuff will be in a different place and some key shortcuts may differ.

With Blender and enough work you can achieve Pixar-level quality or even photorealism, with DAZ your art will plateau after you learn to squeeze all the juices from DAZ renderer (and it's a very mediocre renderer). Not to mention that you need to pay in DAZ for features that are so basic they usually are available in demo versions of commercial 3d software.

Well, I use four programs for my comics:

Marvlous Designer in which I make custom outfits
Daz for posing and the figures
Blender for when I need to create effects and props
Clip Studio Paint for editing.

Most of what I got on Daz was free. There are entire threads dedicated to giving out free stuff. I only paid for 2 things in this scene and that was the background and fur for the wolf character.

I am not very tech literate. I have no clue about 3 programs or rendering. What I do know is that my computer is a piece of garbage. Pixar level quality sounds like my computer will light on fire trying to render that, and I don't really want to spend a boatload of money on a PC.

Thank you for the suggestion, but untill I am in a position where I know what the hell Im doing 100% of the time, I have to stick with Daz, lol. I do plan on moving forward with Blender once I seriously get used to modelling and rendering and get a good computer, but not now.

Merged Doublepost:

UnitMComics:Blender looks like a great tool, but it’s certainly not for me.

I want easier to use, not harder. Less time intensive, not more.

Comic creation is a hobby, and, frankly, not even one I prioritize.

Yes, DAZ3D sucks (render times are long the interface is garbage, products are costly), but the problem isn’t lack of control, if anything it’s too much control, too much information.

I want to spend less time on my comic, not more.

Blender looks like it can produce impressive results, but the time investment is just too much.

Funny enough I discovered a way to reduce render times deamatically and even use Iray on my potato azz PC

Step 1:
render a scene your potato can handle

Step 2:
Add the details you wanted to add and render those seperately:

Step 3:
Go into your favorite image editing software (mine is clip studio paint) and layer the images on top of each other while getting rid of whatever excess remains in the upper layer image:

Step 4:
Profit:

Render time=Still a long time, but not as long as it would have been with all of them in the same scene. Around like 56 mins

Step 5:
Enjoy being cash money:
imageimageimage
11 days ago, 7:16 PM #10
Centcomm
Powerhouse
Registration date: 5th May 2012
for the love of all thats holy spoiler the large pics please..

Based on render times if you are spending more than a hour on renders you are wasting time,

this is why i aviod iray totally - i still use 3delight and lots of fill lights and shadows.

Images are all rendered in house some effects are done in post work.

11 days ago, 7:31 PM #11
mightguy15

Centcomm:for the love of all thats holy spoiler the large pics please..

Based on render times if you are spending more than a hour on renders you are wasting time,

this is why i aviod iray totally - i still use 3delight and lots of fill lights and shadows.

Images are all rendered in house some effects are done in post work.

The problem is a lot of the props that I am using are only compatible with iray. I really wanted to start using three delight, but I don't know the first thing about how to make the images look good. it doesn't really look as well as you do when I render do you know where I can find any tutorials for how to use it? I couldn't even find the energy effects that you used in these pages. The energy effects are pretty much the only reason I used iray for these pages.
10 days ago, 3:12 AM #12
Centcomm
Powerhouse
a lot of the effects are single or double plane effects using transparent images. or post worked in using Photo shop

[img]https://www.deviantart.com/bloodhawk2002/art/Hacking-0001a-545461402[/img]

ok apparently something is preventing me from posting pics from deviant art. Ive never needed Iray for energy effects, frankly i hate Iray, worst thing that happened to daz
10 days ago, 3:29 AM #13
BMR

Centcomm:ok apparently something is preventing me from posting pics from deviant art.

Yeah, dA borked image links completely some time back. Still haven't figured out a way to link images from them, so a URL is probably the next best thing.
10 days ago, 3:31 AM #14
Centcomm
Powerhouse
fracking DA.. seriously.. thats the main reason i used them.
10 days ago, 3:50 AM #15
killersteak
Botanist
Registration date: 25th Apr 2011
(looks at final pic)
are you making a pron?
10 days ago, 4:16 AM #16
mightguy15

No I just thought that's how people dress in hell.
8 days ago, 1:38 AM #17
UnitMComics

Yeah...I once had an Iray render take more than 36 hours.
8 days ago, 2:34 AM #18
mightguy15

Dang, you have much more patience than me. I would have canceled a render long before that and just work with what I had, lol.
8 days ago, 3:12 AM #19
UnitMComics

An early lesson on the environments to avoid: big ones with lots of surfaces reflecting light.
8 days ago, 5:38 AM #20
BMR

And particle objects, like leaves or grass. Those can be a killer.