Forum > News & Announcements > Introducing: Quick mass uploader
Pages: 1 2
"Introducing: Quick mass uploader", 27th Dec 2019, 3:14 PM #1
Kyo
🐊
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
Hey everyone!

Tis the season of uploading large batches of comic pages at once! This probably would have been helpful to more people, had it come out a month sooner, sorry. Still, if you like uploading in batches, or have webcomics you've been hesitating transferring over due to the amount of form-filling involved, you'll probably want to take a look at this.

It's a new mass uploader! I made it! It lets you select all files at once, or drag and drop em, and generates pre-filled page titles based on the filenames. There's also a new fancy widget for setting comic release times, which is available on both on the old mass uploader (and has been for a few days actually), and the new quick mass uploader! Just head to the mass upload page, and you'll see it. If you prefer the old one, in the top left corner, there'll be a link to that one as well, still.

So about those titles generated based on filenames - the way this works is that the mass uploader looks through all the filenames you upload, and tries to detect a pattern. It's not magic, but it goes through some common ones I could think of, and then checks if all files you uploaded match that pattern.

So e.g. let's say your filenames look like this: "1 - title.jpg", "2 - the adventure begins.jpg", "3 - i already ran out of title ideas.jpg"

The mass uploader would be like, got it, they all start with a number and then a hyphen, so I'll just chop that off and I'm left with the titles "Title", "The Adventure Begins" and "I Already Ran Out Of Title Ideas"

But if your filenames look like this: "title.jpg", "the adventure begins.jpg", "3 - what a number.jpg", it would generate them as "Title", "The Adventure Begins" and "3 - What a Number", not chopping off the 3 in the last case, since it assumes it to be part of the title. The caveat here is that your files have to be formatted consistently. I dunno how y'all store your files, give me some feedback on that please so I can improve the tool.

Anyway, give it a whirl! In the ideal case scenario, you should be able to just drag, drop, hit two buttons and have the batch upload start. If your comic filenames contain your comic titles, that is.

Let me know what you think! I'm sure there's further improvements to be made. Oh and let me know if something breaks or you find a bug!
27th Dec 2019, 9:11 PM #2
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
Can't wait to use it! And can't wait to see how the filename thing works with my comic!

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

28th Dec 2019, 12:27 AM #3
Kyo
🐊
Like I said, let me know if it doesn't work so great!
28th Dec 2019, 12:50 AM #4
Squirreltastic-Blue

Registration date: 31st Dec 2014
I'm going to use it right now!
28th Dec 2019, 12:54 AM #5
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Wow. That's some impressive tool.
28th Dec 2019, 12:58 AM #6
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
^ Said the actress to the bishop. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nah but in all seriousness, this sounds really great! I may not be using it myself but I'm sure it'll be really useful for a lot of people.
28th Dec 2019, 12:58 AM #7
MayelV

Registration date: 1st Apr 2018
I used it today and worked like a charm! Thank you for your hard work.
28th Dec 2019, 2:02 AM #8
Zarzaliel

Registration date: 5th Dec 2019
I just want to say that as someone who has to upload 20 pages a week, this is a blessing and you are a beautiful person and I love you very much.

I just tried it and is everything I could ever want.

28th Dec 2019, 2:20 AM #9
FourString

Registration date: 24th Dec 2019
Thanks for the great feature! I just tried it myself and it works like a charm.
28th Dec 2019, 2:31 AM #10
Squirreltastic-Blue

I pressed enter when naming a page and then they all started uploading and I was like "OH MY GAWD! THEY'RE NOT READY" and then I had to go edit a bunch of stuff...

Otherwise, a very cool tool.
28th Dec 2019, 2:42 AM #11
blargargy

Registration date: 25th Feb 2019
Oh my lord thank you SO MUCH for this Kyo! This was the ONE thing - the only thing - that I missed from the old Smackjeeves, and you've gone ahead and even added an auto-fill for the titles. Thank you thank you thank you!
28th Dec 2019, 2:43 AM #12
Kyo
🐊
Squirreltastic-Blue:I pressed enter when naming a page and then they all started uploading and I was like "OH MY GAWD! THEY'RE NOT READY" and then I had to go edit a bunch of stuff...

Otherwise, a very cool tool.

good thing we have a mass-edit as well

Would you expect enter not to submit the form or was it just a muscle memory thing? I mean it's entirely possible to turn that off, but I kinda figured people would want to be able to submit with enter
"Scheduled uploads?", 28th Dec 2019, 2:47 AM #13
Dan with a Plan

Registration date: 19th Nov 2019
I preferred the old mass uploader where I could set different dates for each of the pages and do many of them on the same page. I don't see myself using the new uploader because I just like putting up many pages at once but having them release one at a time with minimum day-by-day input from me. I can see how this is great for people who release many pages at once, but I feel page-by-page releases like mine have kinda been left in the lurch.

[EDIT] found the old form uploader sorry (-/\-)
28th Dec 2019, 2:54 AM #14
Kyo
🐊
Yeah the old uploader is better for some use cases (e.g. the new one doesn't allow you to upload HTML embeds, so if you want to batch upload those, you can use the form based uploader), they share most of their code anyway, and on the backend it's exactly the same thing, so it's not too much effort to just support both systems.

the new tool will also let you schedule pages as well though, if I understand what you're saying correctly. Try dropping some images onto it, and hitting the "generate forms" button (it won't upload anything yet at this stage), and it'll give you the scheduler widget to set all times at once, but you can also manually specify/selectively edit the dates if you prefer
28th Dec 2019, 4:26 AM #15
killersteak
Botanist
Registration date: 25th Apr 2011
this would have been helpful 5 or so years ago.
28th Dec 2019, 2:48 PM #16
Shockodile

Registration date: 22nd Dec 2019
BARNACLES... I was mere DAYS early...

Though it's not the same thing exactly, and while possibly this isn't the place to ask about it, I've been thinking since I'm in the midst of doing a large swathe of edits to basically my entire comic- with the mass editor, selecting many multiple pages to edit is a bit of a pain since I have to click each checkbox individually. Is there a way to select many of them quickly? Like how you can click one file and then shift click another to select everything between them as well?

Personally I think it'd be sexy if the mass editor worked like the new uploader, if I could drag and drop files in and based on the titles/filenames it would find & edit the pages that're already uploaded. I have no idea how this would/could work, especially if people don't title their pages the same as their filenames (mine are all just 0.png, 1.png, etc since my comic is longform) but for what I'm doing it'd be nice. Just being able to quickly select many bullets would also be nice though, so if there's a way of doing that, I'm saved ;__;
28th Dec 2019, 10:35 PM #17
Kyo
🐊
Ohhh, I like where your thinking is at, I could definitely add an easier way to select pages for mass-edit, you're right it's pretty clunky right now for anything more than a few pages. The idea of mass-replacing files automatically also kind of intrigues me, although doing it by filename seems a little too dicy for me (especially since comic titles don't have to be unique by nature), but maybe I could rig something up where you drop in all the files, and then you select which pages they're supposed to overwrite all at once. I'll pop it on the issue tracker, I think it's a really good idea
29th Dec 2019, 1:31 AM #18
windmillKey

Registration date: 20th Nov 2019
Went to use the mass uploader today and had to double take haha. "This is.. different?? New??? AaaAAAA"

But gave it a go and I dig it!
Thank you so much for your continued efforts, much appreciated!

(Hmm i don't know if anyone else would get some use out of it but would there be a way of like writing the tags in once and having them copy to all pages you're uploading? I think I read somewhere you're doing something different for the tag system at some point tho so maybe it doesn't really matter o: anyway, cheers!)
29th Dec 2019, 3:06 AM #19
Squirreltastic-Blue

Kyo:good thing we have a mass-edit as well

Would you expect enter not to submit the form or was it just a muscle memory thing? I mean it's entirely possible to turn that off, but I kinda figured people would want to be able to submit with enter

It was an instinct button press, but I also use it on DeviantArt sometimes.
Also, I didn’t know there was a mass editor!
I’ll be sure to use it the next time I make a mass mistake!
29th Dec 2019, 4:25 PM #20
smee440

Registration date: 27th Nov 2019
Well I just used the new Mass Hadron Collider thingy to upload 50 pages and it worked like a charm, so thumbs up from me. Although the big crack with the blue pulsing light that has appeared in the wall is a bit disconcerting.
Anyway - great job, thank you smuch.