Forum > News & Announcements > dropdown thing (plz read)
Pages: 1 2 3
"dropdown thing (plz read)", 10 days ago, 8:49 AM #1
Kyo
🐊
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
hey everyone I'm here to drop down some news on you

Most of our layouts come with a quick navigation dropdown menu, where you just select a page, and off you go. However, as your archive grows, so does the menu. It's not really practical to have your entire archive in that menu after you get past a certain amount. Especially as you get past a thousand comics, the menu becomes unusable, starts lagging your browser if you try to use it, bloats your HTML file size, and our server doesn't like looping through all those comics either.

i should probably fix that, right? anyway, i lowered the maximum allowed page width to 300 pixels. end of announcement

okay okay fine, I did fix it! I promise! I also made them work better with chapters. If you're using a simple layout (that you did not convert to HTML), or an unchanged default layout, you'll get those changes automatically. If not, you do have to edit your HTML (wait, don't go yet!!) - but I promise this is really as easy as it gets. If you still don't feel up to the task, just invite me as an author with HTML editing privileges (make sure you check that box, it's not checked by default), and I'll get that done for you no problem.

You may already have applied a layout code that does something similar using our existing layout codes - if you did, I would still ask you to swap that out for this one, please. First of all, you'll be able to configure the behaviour in your webcomic settings, but also, it's a lot easier on the server if your archive gets large.

Instructions to apply this change:
1. In your webcomic management, head to "Edit Layout"

2. Find the box labeled "Useful" either on the side of the editor or below it (depending on your screen size)

3. Click "Download Layout Backup" - That way in case anything goes wrong, we have a plan b. You always gotta have a plan b, ok?

4. At the top of the page, click "Comic Page"

5. Click the HTML editor and then press CTRL + F

6. search for "<select" (without the quotes)

You will find something like this:

<select onchange="jumpTo(this.options[selectedIndex].value);" class="comicnavlink">
            [l:archive]
                <option value="[v:l.comicurl]" [c:l.currentcomic]selected="selected"[/]>[v:l.comictitle]</option>
            [/]
         </select>

replace it with:

<select onchange="jumpTo(this.options[selectedIndex].value);" class="comicnavlink">
            [l:dropdown]
                [c:l.newgroup]
                    <optgroup label="[v:l.grouplabel]">
                [/]

<option value="[v:l.url]" [c:l.is_selected]selected="selected"[/] [c:l.is_disabled]disabled="disabled"[/]>[v:l.title]</option>

[c:l.endgroup]
                    </optgroup>
                [/]
            [/]
        </select>

8. check if there's a second select tag on the comic page, if so do the same thing to that one

9. also do the same thing on the overview page

you are now done!

10 days ago, 12:55 PM #2
Zack-ta

Registration date: 19th May 2013
Never gave this much thought, but had to check out my main comic after reading this and have to say, I like the new system.
10 days ago, 2:00 PM #3
smee440

Registration date: 27th Nov 2019
Nice job Kyo, that looks really neat. With 600+ pages to scroll through this is so much better. Thank you.
10 days ago, 3:10 PM #4
Reapeageddon

Registration date: 20th Nov 2019
Holy crap. All we need to do is transfer SmackJeeves' chapter management system here and we will reign supreme! Well, you don't have to, but I really appreciate the hard work you put into all of this, Kyo!
10 days ago, 3:29 PM #5
Snarkclaw

Registration date: 9th Oct 2014
Kyo:i lowered the maximum allowed page width to 700 pixels. end of announcement

Well, the resulting heart palpitations from that gave me my cardio for the day. Thanks!

To be a thorn in your side after you make this helpful change...

I do not know whether this is related to the change, but I would guess so, due to the change in chapter archiving and the timing...

Problem
For me, links to individual chapter archive pages no longer go to individual chapter archive pages, but instead to the entire archive page.

Example
As of yesterday, http://deerme.net/archive/42200 showed me only the 20 comics (Deer Me 481 - Deer Me 500, comic page numbers 501 - 520) of that chapter. Today, it shows me the entire archive.

It does not simply redirect to the entire archive page, though. The archive page has a page title at the top that does not appear on the individual chapter archive page, so something knows to distinguish the two. However, the individual chapter archive page now lists all pages from the comic site, including those from the desired chapter, those from other chapters, and those not in chapters.

I checked and this problem occurs for each of my three comic sites currently using chapters.

Before I start tinkering around and trying things, would this be fixed by applying the change to the new drop down code?
10 days ago, 5:24 PM #6
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
Awesome! I haven't gotten so far as to 1,000 comics, yet. But now I won't have
trouble when I reach it, thanks!

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

10 days ago, 9:27 PM #7
Kyo
🐊
Snarkclaw:Well, the resulting heart palpitations from that gave me my cardio for the day. Thanks!

To be a thorn in your side after you make this helpful change...

I do not know whether this is related to the change, but I would guess so, due to the change in chapter archiving and the timing...

Problem
For me, links to individual chapter archive pages no longer go to individual chapter archive pages, but instead to the entire archive page.

Example
As of yesterday, http://deerme.net/archive/42200 showed me only the 20 comics (Deer Me 481 - Deer Me 500, comic page numbers 501 - 520) of that chapter. Today, it shows me the entire archive.

It does not simply redirect to the entire archive page, though. The archive page has a page title at the top that does not appear on the individual chapter archive page, so something knows to distinguish the two. However, the individual chapter archive page now lists all pages from the comic site, including those from the desired chapter, those from other chapters, and those not in chapters.

I checked and this problem occurs for each of my three comic sites currently using chapters.

Before I start tinkering around and trying things, would this be fixed by applying the change to the new drop down code?

No need to tinker, this'll be something I have to fix on my end. the archive loops are all one shared object that loads the archive cache only when needed, and so that if you use multiple on a page, it doesn't have to load things twice, so I guess I somehow bumped into it while adding all this. I'll fix
10 days ago, 9:42 PM #8
Proxy170

Registration date: 3rd Nov 2013
Love the change. But I wish I could let the unchaptered pages appear in chronological order as one offs, rather than bunched at the top. I'm guessing the only workaround is to build a chapter just for that page?
10 days ago, 10:50 PM #9
Kyo
🐊
Snarkclaw:

alright, single chapter archives should be all fixed. let me know if any other issues crop up!

Proxy170:Love the change. But I wish I could let the unchaptered pages appear in chronological order as one offs, rather than bunched at the top. I'm guessing the only workaround is to build a chapter just for that page?

at the moment that would be correct. I do like the idea but to be honest, it would complicate things a bit further so I'm unlikely to add it unless a lot of people want that functionality.

Reapeageddon:Holy crap. All we need to do is transfer SmackJeeves' chapter management system here and we will reign supreme! Well, you don't have to, but I really appreciate the hard work you put into all of this, Kyo!

i don't see any dropdowns on smackjeeves.com so everything about this feature is 100% original do not steal

in all seriousness though, if you preferred the way chapters were set up on smackjeeves (or just in general have an idea on how to do it better), I would like to ask you to please describe the parts of the SJ system you liked and how they worked either in a new thread in the suggestions forum or if you don't want the hassle of all that, just a post in this thread instead. I'm always up for improving things but I don't really know how smackjeeves managed their chapters to be honest
10 days ago, 11:32 PM #10
PeterVonBrown

Registration date: 7th Jan 2016
Apologies if I'm thick-headed here... I'm using a default layout with tweaks to it (like special picture buttons and such). If I'm reading right, I'm "okay" and don't have to implement that HTML code? Also, for future pages that I upload, will I need to change the width to 700 to do so? I don't wanna make anything explode, as it were. :) I'm only currently at 200 and some pages uploaded, but given that my comic is on ongoing series rather than a "single story arc" 'book', who knows how my hundreds it shall reach. I don't, however, have any 'chapters' or 'sections', special or otherwise.
10 days ago, 11:36 PM #11
Kyo
🐊
the 700 pixel thing was just a joke, please do not actually size down your comics

as for your layout, if you have edited your HTML in any way prior to this announcement, you will not get the changes automatically, so you'll have to do the find and replace deal, or invite me as an author and I can do it for you. It's not hard to do, so this is not a big deal

e: I edited the number in the OP to be smaller to make it more obviously a joke
10 days ago, 11:51 PM #12
Snarkclaw

Registration date: 9th Oct 2014
Kyo:alright, single chapter archives should be all fixed. let me know if any other issues crop up!

They are fixed, indeed. Thank you very much! :-)
9 days ago, 12:04 AM #13
Yaaboa!

Registration date: 6th Dec 2019
Thank you so much for this! The template I'm using didn't have the navigation bar, so I was going to choose one of the different templates, find and steal the code, then change back to the other and replace all my code, plus the nav code. This saves me a ton of time!

I really like the way this bar shows only the pages that are in the current chapter. I've been seeing different comics out side of CF and SJ that either use separate bars for the chapters and pages, or one bar that list all the pages in the entire series. Both of which seem really clunky.

Thanks again, Kyo, for all of your hard work in continuing to improve this website. I'm really glad that I made the switch!
9 days ago, 12:44 AM #14
Valigarmander

This is really helpful. Thank you!
9 days ago, 2:11 AM #15
jellyfishin

I was one of those that had a different code for the dropdown menu. This new dropdown code looks way more neat than what I had originally.
9 days ago, 2:50 AM #16
reddog f.13

Kyo:i lowered the maximum allowed page width to 300 pixels. end of announcement

has Smackjeeves update PTSD flashbacks.
____V____

looking at the update and i really love the new condensed format. =]
9 days ago, 3:08 AM #17
Kyo
🐊
that's too wide, here i fixed it

9 days ago, 3:12 AM #18
killersteak
Botanist
Registration date: 25th Apr 2011
so i dont have to worry about it until i reach 1000 pages?
9 days ago, 3:21 AM #19
Kyo
🐊
I would recommend installing the new code pretty much no matter what, even if your archive is small, it's easy to do and it'll make the dropdown more compatible with chapters as well. The 1000 thing is also a fairly arbitrary cut-off, not some specific breaking point I discerned using rocket schmience, even a 400 item dropdown isn't really pleasant to use, though it may not lag your browser quite as badly.
9 days ago, 3:33 AM #20
Text
And who could forget dear future knight
Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
Kyo:at the moment that would be correct. I do like the idea but to be honest, it would complicate things a bit further so I'm unlikely to add it unless a lot of people want that functionality.

if this does end up being added, may i suggest having it work so that you can put in chapter values like 2A, 4B, 6D, etc? and then it'll order chapters by their number first, and then their letter. so if you have chapters 1, 1A, 1B, 2, 3, 3A, and 4, it'll order them... well, exactly how i just did.

edit: maybe also a specific condition for whether a chapter is a new numerical value or not, for layout organization? and some that check the chapter number, letter indicator, etc?