Forum > News & Announcements > dropdown thing (plz read)
Pages: 1 2 3
10th Jan 2020, 3:37 AM #21
killersteak
Botanist
Registration date: 25th Apr 2011
so is it supposed to not show every page now?
10th Jan 2020, 3:48 AM #22
Kyo
🐊
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
yes. you can configure the cutoff points in your webcomic settings (at the bottom). By default it goes back 40 pages and forward 80. the max value in each direction is 120
10th Jan 2020, 3:52 AM #23
killersteak
Botanist
strange. im so used to looking at the dropdown and seeing everything. i might have to rethink my navigation buttons to make that more obvious to any readers.
10th Jan 2020, 3:56 AM #24
Kyo
🐊
maybe I could make it show some ellipses to make it more obvious that there's more comics after/before
10th Jan 2020, 3:59 AM #25
killersteak
Botanist
or links to the archive page
10th Jan 2020, 4:02 AM #26
Kyo
🐊
if you want it to link to the archive page, you can also add your own links like this (I added the second line):

<select onchange="jumpTo(this.options[selectedIndex].value);" class="comicnavlink">
            <option value="/archive/">Archive</option>

[l:dropdown]
                [c:l.newgroup]
                    <optgroup label="[v:l.grouplabel]">
                [/]

<option value="[v:l.url]" [c:l.is_selected]selected="selected"[/] [c:l.is_disabled]disabled="disabled"[/]>[v:l.title]</option>

[c:l.endgroup]
                    </optgroup>
                [/]
            [/]
        </select>
10th Jan 2020, 4:06 AM #27
killersteak
Botanist
mmmyes i think that's suitable. thanks.
10th Jan 2020, 6:31 PM #28
Team Stormbow

Registration date: 14th Dec 2019
One thing: is it possible to be able to see the name of the chapter one is currently on instead of a blank bar? Or is that actually the case and I'm having a problem somewhere (keep in mind that this author has zero experience using HTML).
This is just me nitpicking btw. I love the new chapters subdivision, you did a great job.
10th Jan 2020, 6:48 PM #29
Mel Cormac
Blimpmaster
Registration date: 16th Aug 2013
Ooh, just made the edit and I like this a lot! Thanks Kyo!
10th Jan 2020, 9:05 PM #30
Matt Comics
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
gonna try this soon! but here's the real scoop. I went one step further and resized the whole site. enjoy your 300px pur-gator-y, Kyo.

12th Jan 2020, 4:00 AM #31
Kyo
🐊
Team Stormbow:One thing: is it possible to be able to see the name of the chapter one is currently on instead of a blank bar? Or is that actually the case and I'm having a problem somewhere (keep in mind that this author has zero experience using HTML).
This is just me nitpicking btw. I love the new chapters subdivision, you did a great job.

it shouldn't be blank, it should have the current comic selected by default. it is working for me on your comic
12th Jan 2020, 4:55 AM #32
Marcianek

Registration date: 3rd Dec 2019
Ohhh, loving this change! I used to have a chaptered code for a dropdown menu, which I've found somewhere on this forum too. However it was showing a "Read from this chapter" link under every chapter, bloating the lenght of the dropdown menu a little. Now that the titles of the chapters are actual links, things are far more clear.

By the way is there a way to customize either the background colors of the dropdown menu ( as in add a second one, so that there are two different colors for pages and chapters we're not currently in), or the text itself (for example, make the unselected chapter titles bold, and page titles normal or italicised or with a "dot" before them), so that there's additional visual distinction other than the indent?

It's no biggie though, just curious if it's possible for cosmetic reasons - I really love how functional and compact the dropdown menu is :D
12th Jan 2020, 7:57 AM #33
Team Stormbow

Registration date: 14th Dec 2019
Kyo:it shouldn't be blank, it should have the current comic selected by default. it is working for me on your comic

Oh, ok! As long as it works for the readers, it's fine. Thank you!
12th Jan 2020, 9:07 PM #34
Matt Comics
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
so I finally checked it out and this is basically a new version of the chaptered dropdown code, and it's also the default option, at last. no more scrolling through hundreds of pages on too many comics to list! :D

also, I'm seconding Marcianek's question. I wouldn't mind having bold chapter titles again, or something equally distinctive.
12th Jan 2020, 11:54 PM #35
-JoKeR-

Registration date: 20th Nov 2019
TLK!

Tested, Liked, Kept

image I think it works good.

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
13th Jan 2020, 1:14 AM #36
blargargy

Registration date: 25th Feb 2019
Works perfectly, thanks again Kyo!
13th Jan 2020, 1:50 AM #37
Kyo
🐊
Marcianek:Ohhh, loving this change! I used to have a chaptered code for a dropdown menu, which I've found somewhere on this forum too. However it was showing a "Read from this chapter" link under every chapter, bloating the lenght of the dropdown menu a little. Now that the titles of the chapters are actual links, things are far more clear.

By the way is there a way to customize either the background colors of the dropdown menu ( as in add a second one, so that there are two different colors for pages and chapters we're not currently in), or the text itself (for example, make the unselected chapter titles bold, and page titles normal or italicised or with a "dot" before them), so that there's additional visual distinction other than the indent?

It's no biggie though, just curious if it's possible for cosmetic reasons - I really love how functional and compact the dropdown menu is :D

Uhhh, I mean, kind of.

You can use the [c:l.is_chapter]...[/] condition to check if an element in the loop is a comic or a chapter (note that in the future, there may be elements that are neither)

<select onchange="jumpTo(this.options[selectedIndex].value);" class="comicnavlink">
    [l:dropdown]
        [c:l.newgroup]
            <optgroup label="[v:l.grouplabel]">
        [/]

<option value="[v:l.url]" [c:l.is_selected]selected="selected"[/] [c:l.is_disabled]disabled="disabled"[/] [c:l.is_chapter]class="dd-chapter"[/]>[v:l.title]</option>

[c:l.endgroup]
            </optgroup>
        [/]
    [/]
</select>

you can see I tacked [c:l.is_chapter]class="dd-chapter"[/] on at the end of the option tag in the middle. You can then style it in your css like this:

.dd-chapter {
    font-weight:bold;
}

it won't support all CSS styles, and this may not work at all, depending on both your browser and your operating system. a lot of what the <select> tag behaves and looks like isn't really that configurable. It also won't break anything when it doesn't work though so I guess it's still better than nothing.

If that's not enough for you, you can check out the blue monday layout, it has an implementation of the quick navigation that does not use <select> tags and is more customizable. it does also incidentally come with bolded chapter titles by default. (if you want to copy this into another layout, note that it requires javascript and css files which the blue monday pulls in on the overall section in the <head> tag)
13th Jan 2020, 2:45 AM #38
Marcianek

Thank you, it worked like a charm!

Indeed, there's some limit to it (for example current chapter will always remain on light grey background - but I actually don't mind it, it's strong visual indicator.), but on top of changig text style, I can add chapter background color too, like this:

And this is exactly what I hoped for.

Kyo:you can check out the blue monday layout, it has an implementation of the quick navigation that does not use <select> tags and is more customizable. it does also incidentally come with bolded chapter titles by default. (if you want to copy this into another layout, note that it requires javascript and css files which the blue monday pulls in on the overall section in the <head> tag)

Thank you for reccomendation and advice. I actually remember looking at this theme some time ago too - it seems like it would allow for making custom archive icon too, I suppose? I might check that out one day.
But yeah, for now the current dropdown is more than enough, big thanks again!
13th Jan 2020, 3:01 AM #39
Kyo
🐊
You'll probably be able to style the current chapter by adding a class to the optgroup element, or addressing it directly in your css. That's the way the current chapter shows up in the code, as an <optgroup> tag, which causes all the comics within it to be indented the way they are.

and yes, with the blue monday version of the dropdown, you'd be able to insert images into the dropdown options
13th Jan 2020, 4:28 AM #40
Marcianek

Indeed, it worked! Thank you! :)