Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > I can't stop subscribing to webcomics
Pages: 1 2
"I can't stop subscribing to webcomics", 8 days ago, 11:47 PM #1
Timishayd

Registration date: 22nd Nov 2019
I think it is becoming an addiction, haha. But suddenly I see comics that look so good, I can't help myself.

Now the only problem is to find time to read them.

Anyway, does this happen to you? Subscribing to lots of comics knowing you barely have time to read? Probably it's just a temporary problem because I'm new here. Hope to catch up soon to all the comics I subscribed to.

Btw, I'm not sure if this belong here but since is webcomic talk hopefully it's on the right place.
One week ago, 12:12 AM #2
jellyfishin

Registration date: 20th Nov 2019
I take advantage of the "Save/Load my place" system, that way I can binge read on my own time when I have the time. Managed to catch up on many of my subscribed comics that way.
One week ago, 12:54 AM #3
mitchellbravo

Registration date: 23rd Nov 2019
I sometimes fav based on the art alone, then start reading and have a hard time getting into it and wind up never finishing reading. v_v
6 days ago, 7:03 PM #4
Timishayd

jellyfishin:I take advantage of the "Save/Load my place" system, that way I can binge read on my own time when I have the time. Managed to catch up on many of my subscribed comics that way.

I do that too but when I think I'm up to date, I just add more webcomics to my subscriptions haha.

mitchellbravo:I sometimes fav based on the art alone, then start reading and have a hard time getting into it and wind up never finishing reading. v_v

Same (the part about faving for the art). But when I'm not into the comic I simply unsubscribe. I know myself well enough to now that I will not enjoy it anymore.
6 days ago, 7:21 PM #5
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
Timishayd:I think it is becoming an addiction, haha. But suddenly I see comics that look so good, I can't help myself.

Anyway, does this happen to you? Subscribing to lots of comics knowing you barely have time to read? Probably it's just a temporary problem because I'm new here. Hope to catch up soon to all the comics I subscribed to.

Btw, I'm not sure if this belong here but since is webcomic talk hopefully it's on the right place.

I HAVE subscribed to a few, but rarely read them... I'm working
on my on also, so it's hard to stop (when I DO have time to read
my family distracts me, like they do when I'm doing my own comic, so...)

Um.. if this helps: read right before or after you finish something: it's a brief moment when you don't have to do anything and can quickly read as you need to.. before someone else comes or a errand pops up again...

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

6 days ago, 7:44 PM #6
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
Timishayd:I think it is becoming an addiction, haha. But suddenly I see comics that look so good, I can't help myself.

I'm subscribed to a lot of comics atm too. Really, its pretty much to wait it out so I can have a lot of material to read when it is either completed or deeper into the lore. But yeah, same here.
6 days ago, 8:20 PM #7
Tehpikachu

i subscribe to an okay amount of first-time comics if they seem interesting to see how the author grows, but i put em back if they don't develop after a while
6 days ago, 8:39 PM #8
SpyreComics

Registration date: 11th Dec 2017
I am guilty myself of having more comics than having read, but, I usually set down a day for them to just sit down read and have some music on in the background. I love seeing all the different stories people come up with. I just wish I could read faster.
6 days ago, 8:48 PM #9
Matt Comics
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
looking back, I've shown a lot of restraint so far.

I try to read the whole thing before subscribing. with a few exceptions*, I generally go through a phase of silently reading the first bunch of pages, which more or less show what to expect from the comic as a whole. (depending on the comic's nature/format/whatever, it could be anywhere between 10 and 50 pages) then I either drop it if I can't get into it for whatever reason... or keep reading, leave some comments, and, with enough luck, hit that sub button.

this is also an easy way to know if I like something: if I keep coming back, I'm probably becoming a fan. that doesn't mean I'm gonna be a consistent reader, though. there's a lot of comics I need to catch up with, haha.

* I occasionally blindly subscribe and/or comment right away if I know the author enough to know they write something I'm gonna like anyway, or when the tone/content/premise/etc. is immediately perceivable and compatible with my tastes.
6 days ago, 11:40 PM #10
Algaire

Registration date: 4th Dec 2019
I use to subscribe based on the art and the plot (mostly fantasy)^^U without reading. Then when I have time (at night, coffee pause...) I read them one by one. It's slow, but I've read a good bunch of cool stories. Sometimes I enter just to "see and hunt", and then enjoy myself reading.
6 days ago, 11:48 PM #11
DestinyMason
Santa's little mercenary
Registration date: 10th May 2017
you say this like it's a bad thing :P

it seems like i'm the opposite lol. every comic i subscribe to either stops updating, or takes too long... sad is the life of someone with very specific genre tastes :(
5 days ago, 12:10 AM #12
mitchellbravo

I went through my favs on my old site when I was getting ready to move here, bookmarking all of them just to be sure I'd be able to check in on them again.

It was surprising to me just how few were actually active. There were so, so many that hadn't updated in the past half year to a full year; at some point you get the picture and know the creator isn't coming back, but it was a bit of a wake up just how many I was "following" that couldn't be followed anymore as they'd stopped!! I also had a few comics where I was like "Ah yes I remember reading this last year and interacting with the author in their comments section, good times, looking forward to their return" only to see the comic last updated in 2015, meaning my "recent" memories were 4 years old at the very least... A spooky feeling, becoming old
5 days ago, 12:21 AM #13
mightguy15

I hate that. It is very disrespectful to your audience to simply abandon your project, and it riles me up because there are people who wish they could get the subs some of these series have and these artist seem to take them for granted. Even manga in serialization will dedicate a story arc to closing quickly if the creator no longer desires to work on the series.

That is why I am always and always recommended people be wary of creators with complex art styles (such as realism which requires a massive amount of time to work on), ambitious story arcs, and how well the creator keeps their audience updated with the status of the comic. If you are going to abandon your project, you at least owe it to the people patiently waiting an explanation as to why you did so. No one is too busy to make a 5 sentence statement.
5 days ago, 12:35 AM #14
Kyo
🐊
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
I think in a lot of cases it isn't really an active decision to stop, but something that just sort of passively happens
5 days ago, 12:55 AM #15
mitchellbravo

mightguy15:I hate that. It is very disrespectful to your audience to simply abandon your project, and it riles me up because there are people who wish they could get the subs some of these series have and these artist seem to take them for granted. Even manga in serialization will dedicate a story arc to closing quickly if the creator no longer desires to work on the series.

That is why I am always and always recommended people be wary of creators with complex art styles (such as realism which requires a massive amount of time to work on), ambitious story arcs, and how well the creator keeps their audience updated with the status of the comic. If you are going to abandon your project, you at least owe it to the people patiently waiting an explanation as to why you did so. No one is too busy to make a 5 sentence statement.

I somehow agree and completely disagree with this post entirely

As a reader, I don't feel "owed" anything, as I haven't "paid" anything other than my time, which was voluntarily spent, enjoying what the creator had completed that far. A bit like a road trip that ends too soon, or a great second date where you never got a third, or a party you had to leave early.

Consider as well that some people only have so much story in them. They begin ambitiously because that is what inspires us to create at all, only to find that their motivation dies out before they hoped it would. Rather than close off the project, they leave it open, hoping they'll return to a point where they can come back and make more- or, more likely, their updates have become fewer and further between, and they don't even realize how long it's been since they last posted or interacted with readers. For some, anxiety (what will my readres say?) stops them from being able to drop those few sentences, even if it seems like it should be easy.

I have one comic that i love to shreds, and have followed since it was updating fairly regularly. The author has made it clear that due to a mix of health issues and eahc page just taking too long to make, any future updates will be sporadic at best (I think there's been maybe 2 new pages per year the past few years). I'm not mad at her, she wasn't making a living off this thing, she didn't take any of my money. I'm sad because her world was fascinating and I became invested in the characters, but that's life, you know?

I have a lot of sympathy for people who dropped their comics because I was nearly one of them. (yes it's time for mitchell's monthly recount of her mental health hiatus) there were a few years where my update count was steadily and noticeably decreasing, to its lowest point in 2017 (even though I had dealt with most issues by then) when I only put up 4 pages. Had my life taken a different turn- had my job been more soul crushign or demanding, had I been pregnant, had I been pregnant with a child who would not achieve independence and would need round the clock care- yeah, I could easily see dropping my comic and not bothering to come and tell my readers about it.

It's not fair, it's not thoughtful, but it's real, and it's not malicious. I've been disappointed by this process dozens of times. But people run out of steam, either because of external pressures (see job/kid scenario), or because they told as much of the story as they were able to tell. Maybe that's all there ever was to the story. Ought people not start a story because it could be too ambitious? I would argue no; even if that story never is completed, it may inspire dozens of others to take up the pen, and human life is enriched by art, whether completed or abandoned.
5 days ago, 1:19 AM #16
Timishayd

mightguy15:I hate that. It is very disrespectful to your audience to simply abandon your project, and it riles me up because there are people who wish they could get the subs some of these series have and these artist seem to take them for granted. Even manga in serialization will dedicate a story arc to closing quickly if the creator no longer desires to work on the series.

I know how you feel but honestly, I don't blame the authors. I mean, life happens.

When I had Tapas installed on my smartphone, I was following a good webcomic that had an engaging concept (about an immortal dude and a chick who are a couple and the story jumps or goes back in time depending how the story is going on). Then the author stopped updating for a few months and after all that time, suddenly made an announcement that the comic won't be updated anymore because they were having depression issues. Reason was that the only thing they cared about was making more pages for the webcomic and they were pushing away the people who they loved. It was sad and eye-opening at the same time.

Talking about Tapas, there I followed less than 10 webcomics because everything was either slice of life or comics that were going nowhere.
5 days ago, 2:37 AM #17
mightguy15

mitchellbravo:

Ahh, these were great points.

I'm not particularly saying that these instances make that person malicious. If anything the opposite, standing by such a statement would make me extremely hypocritical because my comic has spotty updates all the time. I know stuff in life happens. These are more or less just pet peeves.

I think that is an excellent mentality to have as a reader. I have a horrible habit of jumping to conclusions when it comes to trying to comprehend the audience.

However, personally I do think a least a minimum level of obligation occurs when people publicize a work they created with the intention of building an audience. Like, come on a two sentence description of what happened at least.

Ambitious stories and art can be fun to create and read, but what would be the point of creating them if you can't realistically complete that fiction?

I can agree that knowing when you are operating within your means can be difficult. This is exactly what I am trying to do. But I can't just see myself abandoning my series at all, and especially to the extent where I would disappear off the internet without an explanation for years on end. Even as a reader, I'd feel that as bbold and inspiring as those endeavors were, it would still be heartbreaking and frustrating to know that they were fruitless. Especially when it is a series I feel has truly great potential, but gets dropped while series I enjoy less with an output of minimal effort continues to succeed and grow (those god forsaken slice of life comics are out of control now. Some of them are really good, I just hate the ones with minimal effort and bad jokes).

And maybe these situations are painful for these creators too, but if that's the case, why didn't they let anyone know? It just feels like they either just didn't care enough or got distracted to the point where they simply just forgot about everything.

Certainly instances occur on short notice, but just come back eventually and let everyone know. I even agree with the instances that you listed, but lets be honest, those are serious hypotheticals. In all my years of reading webcomics that went on haitus, only two of those have been the case with series I have been following (pregnancy and work) and the authors still came back to tell her and his readers about it. Even in the instance where you don't want to share personal information, can't you just say you will be away for a while for personal reasons?

As I have said, it's nothing I take too personally, but I do think it is a respectable curtsey. Time is a resource, even if you spent 2 minutes skimming the pages of someone else's' series, that is 2 minutes of your finite life you aren't going to get back. And in most instances, subs are going to get even more invested than that, sometimes to the point where some of them actually do donate some money.

Of course I don't see this as a universal standard, but speaking on my own behalf, I think those things should be considered. At the very least, put an update in the comments section or your profile description of what's going on. I'm actually subbed to a few series where instances in the authors life has changed and they made the time to let everyone know. It's not a deal breaker of course, but it's something to be appreciated and it is definitely a respectful curtsey to your base.
5 days ago, 2:57 AM #18
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
I need to read more comics. I do follow a fair few, but I always end up falling behind, and catching up starts to look more and more intimidating until the point comes I think "...Yeah I really need to catch up on all this." I'm in to middle of doing that right now, heheh.

I think I'm about halfway through. Every time I do it with the goal of 'staying on top of things this time.'

I will get it. Eventually. Oh and if anyone should happen to be reading this whose comics I read, if I've stopped commenting this is probably why. I most likely have not dropped your comic.
5 days ago, 3:20 AM #19
jellyfishin

Registration date: 20th Nov 2019

Like mitchellbravo, I would also have to disagree.

Aside from the points that mitchellbravo and Timishayd mentioned earlier, I would also like to mention that just because something that hasn't been worked up for a very long time doesn't mean the project is abandoned.

For example: The first three Star Wars movies (Episodes IV, V, VI) ran from 1977 to 1983 (each movie being about three years to make), and many people (both audiences and some people working on the movie) were expecting the movie series to continue, as George Lucas originally said he was going to do nine movies for Star Wars. That didn't happen, and a lot of people thought the project abandoned. But then George Lucas mentioned plans to work on prequel movies in 1992 and the next Star Wars movie come out until 1999... that's more than a decade later after Star Wars Episode VI.

As for justifying speeding a comic to close due to creator's loss of interest - pardon if I will sound irate, but that did quite strike a serious nerve in me. The nasty dark side to that circumstance is that it can be detrimental to mental/emotional state of the creator. This especially if this is regarding about mangas serialized in anthologies, the real aim to speedfinish is due to the publisher looking to quickly transfer the slot (and audience) to someone else. There have been a few instances where the stress from doing so has resulted the creator becoming overly emotionally or mentally stressed (and in one known case, physically ill and landed the creator in the hospital). I can't, in good faith, force for someone to finish a comic if it's destroying them physically/mentally/emotionally, nor demand an explanation to why a comic hasn't updated in a while, nor consider the creator as being insolent toward their fanbase if they are not able to provide an explanation (this especially so if the creator is doing this as a hobby. For commercial aspects, the creator is responsible to some degree, but I'll stand my point that publishers and audiences need to remember that creators are not robots with unlimited energy).

While I do get disheartened when a comic seems to stall, it's more important to give space when space is needed. The creator either returns, or they don't and I just find something else to enjoy. There is no limit to how many comics one can subscribe to here, after all.

I do believe I'm getting off-topic, so I'll just mention that this be the end of my response to the matter.
5 days ago, 3:28 AM #20
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Registration date: 24th Mar 2014

Right on. Completely agree.