Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How do you make your backgrounds?
Pages: 1 2
"How do you make your backgrounds?", 5 days ago, 9:36 AM #1
Reapeageddon

Registration date: 20th Nov 2019
They're undoubtedly the biggest pain in the ass for me to draw whenever I gotta draw either city buildings or rooms. As of right now, I use a program called SketchUp in order to create 3D models of certain structures and buildings sometimes. Then I use an effect in CSP that turns it to only lines.

If we're talking about nature bgs such as forests or fields however, I just draw them. What about you guys?
5 days ago, 11:00 AM #2
KAM

Registration date: 24th Sep 2013
I use illegal alien labor, doesn't everyone?

;-)

Just draw/paint them. Admittedly it was easier on my old computer with Photoshop, but now I'm using MediBang Paint which behaves differently and I'm still learning how to do things the way I used to.

Painting tree filled backgrounds or fields tend to be pretty easy, or flat colored things like walls.

Brickwork is harder in MBP since there is no way I can find to make a straight line up & down or across (there is a line tool, but every angle is eyeballed, no default 180 or 90 degrees.)
5 days ago, 1:26 PM #3
Algaire

Registration date: 4th Dec 2019
Architecture is a pain in the ass, I hate it so much XD I use to draw a pencil sketch, then correct it digitally. I use to draw the perspective lines in a different layer and then use the straight line tool. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it sucks and I use to place dialogue bubbles over the ugliest part :-P
5 days ago, 1:53 PM #4
Jay042
Keeps with the times
Registration date: 7th Nov 2009
It depends on the scene. I ended up drawing this big apartment scene in last year's Christmas exchange piece, but I did the exterior hallway on the first panel as a simple set of color fill shapes. All I wanted to convey in the first scene was the characters were indoors, so I didn't need to spend a lot of effort establishing the scene, plus the lack of line work in the BG helps give more focus on characters in the foreground.
5 days ago, 2:30 PM #5
B.W.K.

Registration date: 30th Jan 2018
I simplified my background so a lot of the time its not a big deal.

When I do have to draw a background, I'll pull up a reference and use it as a basis for my designs. Having a picture of something helps SO MUCH!
5 days ago, 2:35 PM #6
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
I straight up draw them, they might look horrid if it's interior, though... There's never enough room for speech bubbles/words so it sucks balls trying to get everything to look right..
But... yeah, cityscapes, nature ect. I do them all without any problem... it's just making
them look alive as I picture in my head always end up being difficult..
so my main characters are mostly alone during action scenes and the landscapes really bare, lol!

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

5 days ago, 2:55 PM #7
Lampette

Registration date: 21st Nov 2019
i plot out the perspective and then go from there.
5 days ago, 4:39 PM #8
StanleyComics

Registration date: 4th Dec 2019
Backgrounds are a pain, but your thread gave me the idea to try out SketchUp now xD
5 days ago, 4:46 PM #9
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I make them as a separate picture entirely and then reuse them as needed.
5 days ago, 4:48 PM #10
Microraptor
the only safe place is the top shelf
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
The easiest way to draw a background is having the characters stand relatively close to a wall.
Best (though probably also the most boring) case is when it's just a naked wall in a a uniform color, thus you have to draw nothing at all and just fill the space with color.
For a little more effort, you can of course put stuff onto the wall: Framed pictures, windows, or whatever seems appropriate for the setting.
Also, you can zoom out a bit, and show the edges to the floor, the ceiling or the other walls. That takes only a few straight lines. (Though of course the wall/floor edges tend to look classier with a baseboard.)

As for outside, well...
Here too, you can try out choosing a relatively simple environment: A wide open plain (like e.g. the ocean, which is a wide open plain of water) and a few clouds in the ski.
As for more complicated stuff... For me personally, drawing vegetation is admittedly not my strength. For some upcoming pages of my comic, I had to draw a forest... So I drew a few trees and did a lot of copy/paste - I hope it won't be too obvious in the end result...)
5 days ago, 4:51 PM #11
-JoKeR-

Registration date: 20th Nov 2019
I'm known for having less backgrounds for just conversation scenes or action scenes ...but long shots or establishing shot are packed with details. Sometimes can backgrounds used for very interesting effects.

Extras/background people are slapped together like the whatnots from the Muppets ...if a person is too far away the details get lesser and lesser till they are just silhouettes or grey blobs.

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
5 days ago, 5:27 PM #12
BustyLaroo

Registration date: 5th Feb 2019
I just... draw them. Lol for areas that will appear many times, I do a planned out reference image now olto keep details accurate.
5 days ago, 5:54 PM #13
Catgut

Registration date: 28th Aug 2015
I try to draw a background, fail miserably, then summon satan and sell my soul in exchange for understanding how the hell perspective works.

More seriously, I make 2D floor plans for recurring interior backgrounds, something like that:

I'm also drawing the 4 walls on separate pieces and then I free transform my 2D floor plan to put it in perspective before adding the walls and drawing furniture accordingly. But tbh I'm just using a tutorial I found on the official clip studio paint website.

Sketchup is also a great way to simplify your work, I really need to pick it up again. As for exterior backgrounds, oh well..........let's just say I'll manage when I'll come to it B')
5 days ago, 6:28 PM #14
Eve Z.
and the Sorcerer's Stone
Registration date: 10th Mar 2017
I'm drawing an establishing shot right now from inside a library with curved walls and many details (Gawd help me!) and it literally took me hours...
I'm drawing them digitally right now and I want better results than I would have if I drew them on paper and I am getting them as I fiddle with dozens of layers and the transform tool. Ho-hum.

Oh, and this is only the first panel...

Not sure how I'm going to be able to finish this page in time to update my tomorrow, buuuut... I guess I'll manage if I put my mind to it. As always!... Er.

5 days ago, 6:37 PM #15
SMAComix

Registration date: 6th Jan 2017
Usually, I just go outside and if in a car I look out the window. Or I look up photos, magazines, and videos of buildings or nature to see what inspires me.

If all else fails, I play video games like the sims to see what sort of buildings I like to build.
5 days ago, 6:38 PM #16
fedoramoron
black market meme hookup
Registration date: 27th Mar 2015
i use SAI2's perspective tool now! if i'd known about it, i would have made the switch from SAI 1 a long time ago T-T idk if other programs like PS might have it, but i'd never heard of anything like it before so... excuse me if im the only digital artist who's been trying to do it by hand lol

of course just that alone isn't going to make you start drawing good backgrounds; you'll still need to know what shit actually looks like (and some basic design principles are good to look into too) but it's the biggest breakthrough i've made in my struggle with BGs
5 days ago, 6:50 PM #17
jamanning7

Registration date: 19th Nov 2018
Draw the thing.
5 days ago, 6:53 PM #18
Timishayd

Registration date: 22nd Nov 2019
Eve Z.:I'm drawing an establishing shot right now from inside a library with curved walls and many details (Gawd help me!) and it literally took me hours...
I'm drawing them digitally right now and I want better results than I would have if I drew them on paper and I am getting them as I fiddle with dozens of layers and the transform tool. Ho-hum.

Oh, and this is only the first panel...

Not sure how I'm going to be able to finish this page in time to update my tomorrow, buuuut... I guess I'll manage if I put my mind to it. As always!... Er.

That background looks fantastic!

I rarely drew backgrounds before working on my comic but it took me hours as well and they look ugly and unnatural.

Any tips on how to draw backgrounds? Other than references because I'm already looking into it hehe.
5 days ago, 7:02 PM #19
zerothe3rd
very spifflike
Registration date: 5th Feb 2014
They've gotten easier over time. Before they were the hardest part of the comic but my plans were always to just draw them. Using a perspective line and doing basic blocking I draw the rest of it. Landscapes I'll sometimes use Google Earth and find a nice reference. This is very helpful for aerial shots. While I don't use the aerial shots, with Google Earth, for buildings I will use it to get an idea of scale then design my own city. It probably helps that I like games like SimCity... Looking outside and looking at the scale of people walking next to buildings helps a lot for ideas. But the more details you add the longer it takes to finish. Nature is much easier and faster to draw.

^3-4 year old page for an example. It took like 10 hours for the big panel.
5 days ago, 7:39 PM #20
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
MK_Wizard:I make them as a separate picture entirely and then reuse them as needed.

I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!

Seriously. I would draw everything out every single time and it would take so much time. That's actually a brilliant idea!
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How do you make your backgrounds?
Pages: 1 2