Forum > Critique > S.P. title theme prototype (and why I need one)
Pages: 1
"S.P. title theme prototype (and why I need one)", 8 days ago, 12:13 AM #1
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
I've decided that once Spider Pizza Chapter 1 is finished (and I'm still seeking an artist for that) I'll produce the rest of the story as a serial visual novel. The ability to push out a lot of story content without needing to produce or contract original artwork for every single page means I can likely finish all twelve planned chapters in two years rather than six. I likely should have gone this route sooner, but I want to finish Chapter 1 in the format in which it started.

That said, switching formats adds additional production demands, and one which is practically essential from a marketing perspective is an original soundtrack, which could get extremely expensive if I contracted that out too. Fortunately, I have some experience making original songs for Today's Client, so I decided to spend a little too much money on FL Studio 20 and try to make something more professional.

Long story short, here's the anime-sized prototype I've put together for S.P., the series title theme and Rose's post-character-development theme:

https://soundcloud.com/patrick-reding/sp-prototype/s-QM6Na

It feels to me like this has a nice groove, but I really want to know what you guys think. What parts of this track just aren't working for you? For that matter, what parts are working? I know I still have a lot of work to do polishing this up, so I need you guys to be honest about where that work is needed. Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks for moving this to the right spot, mods.
8 days ago, 1:13 AM #2
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
That was very entertaining. It felt almost like an 8-bit chiptune of yore. I like lo-fi stuff so I wouldn't change a thing.

What examples of music are you aspiring to, or what qualities do you value in what you're trying to achieve?
8 days ago, 2:05 AM #3
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
Thanks a lot, Robotwin. I was aiming for a funky pop-metal sound, somewhere between Saint Snow and Pat Benatar. Of course, you can't really get the sound of a wailing overdriven guitar without actually being able to play one, but I managed to build a decent enough rhythm and bass guitars with Sakura. I'm guessing that and the arpeggios in the chorus are cementing the lo-fi vibe. I'm honestly just happy to hear someone else think it worked.

This likely will be the only vocal track on the soundtrack, although I will produce a looped instumental version as well. I'd sing it myself, but I don't think I could successfully emulate the singing voice of an 18-year-old catgirl.
8 days ago, 4:20 AM #4
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
Forum > Critique > S.P. title theme prototype (and why I need one)
Pages: 1