Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Is Art Dead? A look forward.
Pages: 1
"Is Art Dead? A look forward.", 9 days ago, 7:12 PM #1
DiggityDogDingo

Registration date: 24th Apr 2019
The short answer? No, thanks for reading.

Let me wax poetic for a second on the fact we are now entering the second decade of the century. The 20's roared for a reason the first time around, and there is no indication that our own 20's will not roar in the same way.

Art is thriving. Art is accessible in ways it wasn't even 10 years ago. Free programs, creation tools for all budgets, tutorials, forums, friends, discords, the list of ways to get your feet going in a positive way is endless. If you're willing to look for it

Pardon me for being optimistic, but there's enough pessimism in the world. When someone succeeds, we all succeed. For every person that makes it, it brings legitimacy to the Indie Art and Comic Scene. We should be shouting from the rooftops when someone accomplishes something great.

And that's more and more the trend I find online in my circles, and even here on CF (you need to look no further than the critique section of people willing to spend their time and effort to help others improve). We are NOT living in the early days of DA, if we ever really were.

I get it, negativity is easy. It's easy to be jealous and bitter about the wrong choices or the lack of success. But that doesn't change your path, it doesn't move you forward. You stunt your community, and what's worse you stunt yourself by being envious of what other people have accomplished.

I stopped creating for most of my early 20's because I did not think I was good enough, or would ever be good enough and was jealous of what my friends could do. I am not making that mistake this decade and the proof is in the work and the goals and the feedback I set for myself.

In short? An open challenge to anyone. Build a better space for creators, positivity is infectious.
9 days ago, 7:18 PM #2
DestinyMason
Santa's little mercenary
Registration date: 10th May 2017
cant help but think this is a response to the previous thread in MA-

I wholeheartedly agree with you, though. The world is looking for more creative people than ever to express themselves.

With enough grit and brain, I truly believe that anyone can tell a story and get people to listen.
9 days ago, 8:09 PM #3
straker

Registration date: 27th Jul 2012
Moving forward, there is one major element that will be a moving factor for creative types. The so-called gatekeepers and are continuing to lose relevance. In fact, they are probably almost extinct. It is no longer the privilege of self appointed artiste-elites to say "this not that" or "here's the flavor of the week". I'm hoping to see less of taping a banana on a wall and calling it art.
9 days ago, 10:36 PM #4
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
I severely hope it isn't...

what people expect from art and what it is and can be
are all many different things.. and wanting people to
"study art" before accepting their work in any
job is more so contradictory than anything.. Get the style
you want, but don't see art as you would grinding for
experience points in a freaking game...

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

9 days ago, 10:48 PM #5
Firefly Jelly

Registration date: 27th Nov 2019
straker:Moving forward, there is one major element that will be a moving factor for creative types. The so-called gatekeepers and are continuing to lose relevance. In fact, they are probably almost extinct. It is no longer the privilege of self appointed artiste-elites to say "this not that" or "here's the flavor of the week". I'm hoping to see less of taping a banana on a wall and calling it art.

The gatekeepers aren't retreating. There may no longer be a monopoly, but there are many, many more of them than there used to be.

In the old days of comics, you had three choices. Get in with one of the majors, either through connections or the slush pile, self-publish a professional-looking product at great expense and hope to catch lightning in a bottle, or be content with making 'zines at the local copy shop and building from there. In that sense, gatekeepers were never relevant; if you wanted to make art, you could make it. The question of finding a market and an audience by making 50 copies of a photocopied minicomic was (and still is) another matter.

Now, the gatekeepers are innumerable and fragmented. They exist everywhere from traditional publishing houses to the plethora of online platforms. Meanwhile, high-quality self-publishing is easier than ever- just put it on the web, no printing costs required. Almost anyone can afford the tools needed to make their own comic, and it's great to see creators of all skill levels and levels of engagement having a platform to express themselves. However, the drawback is that the internet is the new slush pile, and it's cavernously deep. In the old days, good stuff could get lost because one couldn't get a foot in the door; today, you run the risk of being buried under a mountain of shoes.

There's another, newer class of gatekeeper as well, and they often truly determine the flavor of the week- the fandom itself. While it's always been true that publishers respond to audience input, that input is now direct, immediate, and amplified. Trends start in hours and are dead in a week. It can be dizzying.

I also think that the banana-duct tape example was making the opposite point.
3 days ago, 8:00 AM #6
EllisMatthews8

Registration date: 2nd Oct 2018
Counterpoint: Pop culture is so dumb lately!

Maybe I'm biased or flat-out wrong, but a lot of time, the most successful "artists" aren't talented at all. Sometimes it does seem the artistry is missing from art. The goal isn't to create something beautiful or thought-provoking, it's to create something that the most people will buy, regardless of quality. At least in mass media.

There are some comics on here that are better than some runs at DC and Marvel. Maybe art's not dead, it's just hiding.
3 days ago, 9:24 AM #7
Nekoyuki

Registration date: 4th Jun 2018
EllisMatthews8:Counterpoint: Pop culture is so dumb lately!

Maybe I'm biased or flat-out wrong, but a lot of time, the most successful "artists" aren't talented at all. Sometimes it does seem the artistry is missing from art. The goal isn't to create something beautiful or thought-provoking, it's to create something that the most people will buy, regardless of quality. At least in mass media.

There are some comics on here that are better than some runs at DC and Marvel. Maybe art's not dead, it's just hiding.

True. It's not what you know, it's who you know, same as always. There are plenty of great artists who never see the light of day anywhere.

I would suggest art is dead, right along with music, film and literature. Fine art is certainly dead. What's the last Mona Lisa we had? Or the last Catcher in the Rye? Or the last Stairway to Heaven? You hear modern music these days and you just want to hang yourself it's so bad. That's because album sales no longer exist. And that means the quality goes down because there's less incentive for new artists to get involved. Humanity, by and large, seems to be bankrupt of creativity nowadays. Even Hollywood. All they ever do is remake shit. No area is unaffected. Even the video game industry is foundering.
3 days ago, 10:38 AM #8
Reapeageddon

Registration date: 20th Nov 2019
For as long as people create, art will never die.
3 days ago, 1:57 PM #9
DiggityDogDingo

Registration date: 24th Apr 2019
Reapeageddon

For as long as people create, art will never die.

That is a good quote and I am glad you said it.

EllisMatthews8
Counterpoint: Pop culture is so dumb lately!

Nekoyuki
True. It's not what you know, it's who you know, same as always. There are plenty of great artists who never see the light of day anywhere.

I would suggest art is dead, right along with music, film and literature. Fine art is certainly dead. What's the last Mona Lisa we had? Or the last Catcher in the Rye? Or the last Stairway to Heaven? You hear modern music these days and you just want to hang yourself it's so bad. That's because album sales no longer exist. And that means the quality goes down because there's less incentive for new artists to get involved. Humanity, by and large, seems to be bankrupt of creativity nowadays. Even Hollywood. All they ever do is remake shit. No area is unaffected. Even the video game industry is foundering.

I congratulate you two on so thoroughly missing the point. Especially you Nekoyuki, what an intentional misdirection. Album sales may be gone, but they've been replaced by sound cloud and singles. And if I may be so bold, why would you choose to listen to music you don't like when there is such a wealth of music choices from all corners of study, and skill. This isn't radio days only, you're not limited to the top 50 charts. We may not have "Mona Lisas" because we consume art and media differently. (And you would be amiss to judge modern art forms as only being worthy by the definitions of historical art anyway) "Humanity being bankrupt on creativity" is a needlessly pessimistic and lazy excuse to not try. Especially when again, we are not just limited to "Hollywood" to tell us what we should watch. You merely need to look at Netflix to be proven wrong. And as far as games go, I'm really not sure where you're seeing that because the only thing people have been able to talk about in the last year is The Witcher Series, Cuphead, Stardew Valley, Wolf Among Us, and No Man's Sky....all produced by relatively small gaming companies. (As apposed to big name titles.)

I would like to reaffirm my initial statements that we are in a rather unparalleled time of connectivity where communities like this exist. Where we are able to connect to other creators, where we even have a platform to showcase our work. That wouldn't have existed even 15 years ago. Success in however you measure it isn't limited to just who you know, or how lucky you were to get an internship at the big three. Small creators are able to break through in ways that we never have, and what's more decide, foster and grow among ourselves independently of what was assumed to be the only way up.
3 days ago, 2:36 PM #10
Reapeageddon

Registration date: 20th Nov 2019
EllisMatthews8:Maybe I'm biased or flat-out wrong, but a lot of time, the most successful "artists" aren't talented at all.

Successful artists don't give life to art, artists do. Doesn't matter how popular, talented, or skilled they are.
3 days ago, 5:29 PM #11
keltyzoid!
pigs are smarter than bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Registration date: 13th Feb 2015

art is dead because elitist pseudo-intellectuals keep insisting that it is.