Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Would your family approve of your comic?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
"Would your family approve of your comic?", 8th Feb 2020, 1:17 AM #1
What a sucker
Title says it all. I love my comics, but I only share LECTRO with my family because I get the feeling that PHCF's profanity, lgbtq+ characters, and slight irreverence would cause a bit of strife between me and my family.

Eh, it's not for them, it's for me. And besides, I'm an adult. I'm old enough to buy M-Rated games and drink alcohol. And I can write whatever I feel like because it's my life.

But what about you? Would your family give your comic the thumbs up, or would they hate it?
8th Feb 2020, 1:19 AM #2
Botanist
yes, and no.
8th Feb 2020, 1:24 AM #3
LOL...it's funny you ask this X"D....I was just talking to my friend about this yesterday.

MOST of my family approves. In fact...it is my youngest siblings favorite thing I do :P..and a source of inspiration for my little brother's comic (amazingly he has a main character with brown hair and a scar over his eye XDD)

Buuuut...

My grandmother thinks it's evil X"D. I overheard her telling my dad that aaand I found a note she wrote about it that she hid in the closet. LOL. But...when she read it she gushed over the drawings and how the characters seemed so real. Then I find that secret note :P (thankfully my dad stuck up for me haha)

I just chock it up to a different generation. Even tho it really upset me at first. It's the red eyes and fangs and snakes that get her, I think :P

8th Feb 2020, 1:31 AM #4
Approve? I am blessed because they support it.
8th Feb 2020, 1:33 AM #5
Venture Capitalist
No.

Edit: HELL no.
8th Feb 2020, 1:34 AM #6
It's kind of funny, my family has always encouraged me to pursue art while also having no interest in actually reading it. They'll peep a page here and there and be like "cool ha" and my mom claimed, when I told her about SJ imploding and moving to CF, that she wanted me to tell her the URL so she could "stay in the loop" lmao

My dad's side of the family had like, proper artists in it though, like painters. My dad and one of my cousins on that side of the family went to school for art. My mom's side of the family was more practical and entertainment-oriented with their art, my mom told me she used to do a comic strip for her college paper and my Pop Pop told me stories about drawing Popeye cartoons for his buddies during the war and stuff.

Would they *like* it is a different story, but I don't think any of them would be repelled by the content, just bored lol
8th Feb 2020, 1:38 AM #7
What a sucker
Oddly enough, my family's kind of the same way. They don't read my comics, as far as I know, unless I link to them on Facebook. Not even my sister, who does approve. I'm more concerned that they're going to get up in arms because I made it.
8th Feb 2020, 1:43 AM #8
Ooooh, short answer "yes" with an "if".... long answer "no" with a "but"... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8th Feb 2020, 1:47 AM #9
loved birds way before they were the word
-removed-
8th Feb 2020, 2:17 AM #10
swears it's 7 inches
Only ones who really know I have one are my parents and my little brother. Mom keeps telling me I should quit adding in the more risque stuff, but besides that my folks are pretty cool with it. Honestly they're just confused on what it's even about

I wish I knew too

8th Feb 2020, 2:17 AM #11
mitchellbravo:It's kind of funny, my family has always encouraged me to pursue art while also having no interest in actually reading it. They'll peep a page here and there and be like "cool ha" and my mom claimed, when I told her about SJ imploding and moving to CF, that she wanted me to tell her the URL so she could "stay in the loop" lmao

My dad's side of the family had like, proper artists in it though, like painters. My dad and one of my cousins on that side of the family went to school for art. My mom's side of the family was more practical and entertainment-oriented with their art, my mom told me she used to do a comic strip for her college paper and my Pop Pop told me stories about drawing Popeye cartoons for his buddies during the war and stuff.

Would they *like* it is a different story, but I don't think any of them would be repelled by the content, just bored lol

Similar sentiment here. Most of my family doesn't read the comic, they just happen to like peeping at the pages. They'd probably be amusingly confused if they read mine.

Can't quite say the same for my brother, though. Never showed my recent comic to him, but given his attitude to go all poo-poo on my non-vanilla fanworks, I'm pretty sure he'd roll his eyes and say how lame it is.
8th Feb 2020, 2:27 AM #12
My family supports it, my dad actually believed in it more than I did at one point—when I kind of gave up on it he never did. He doesn’t have much time to read it anymore but I know he really cares about it—he’s just got so much on his plate. This comic is really here because of him TBH.

My mom criticizes me for my dedication to art but she doesn’t count IMHO because she criticizes everybody for little to no reason. Sometimes she’s supportive sometimes not so much.

My siblings are very supportive and some of them read it regularly. Sometimes a sister or brother will read a script for me and give whatever feedback they can. (My little brothers are a pretty big help right now with my action scene struggles). I still bounce my ideas off a lot of my siblings but my sister who is closest to me in age probably knows more about it than anyone else in the family.
8th Feb 2020, 2:33 AM #13
My parents would but I don't show it to them. Even when I still updated I didn't because I was kind of.. embarrassed? I'm really self-conscious of my writing, so I only sent the link to most of my friends if they asked specifically.

It's that funny situation where you don't care if complete strangers can see it but not the people close to you lol
8th Feb 2020, 2:37 AM #14
Birb is the Worb
My family are supportive, but I think they just care about me and want to be polite! I don't think they have much interest in reading it, especially my parents since we have really different tastes in media. My dad can also be very old fashioned, so I really don't think he'd enjoy reading my stuff. Well, the later parts at least, he seemed to like chapter 1, when my mum insisted on buying a print copy of my work and it arrived. It was a bit embarrassing, I don't really like sharing my work with family.

If 'approve' is the word though, yeah my family approve, since it's what I like to do and there's nothing in my work that's extremely objectionable. Yes, my dad complains and does offensive impressions when there are gays on TV, but he accepts me just fine so I don't think he cares I write LGBT stuff.
8th Feb 2020, 2:41 AM #15
🥔 Potato Parttaker 🥔
My family supports the idea of me making stories. But my comic, and its subject matter? No.
8th Feb 2020, 2:48 AM #16
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
Partially. They wouldn't approve of certain choices. The relationships... the teeth... Mariel...
8th Feb 2020, 4:00 AM #17
I don't know. They don't even know I'm drawing a comic because:

1) I know they wouldn't care.
2) They wouldn't approve.
3) They don't speak English.

My mom is old and my dad is even older, and have never been interested in art related stuff. My sisters are interested in other stuff like being mothers and work related stuff. I'm always been the alien of the family, I'm nothing like them.

Honestly, I don't plan to show them any time soon. I don't plan to show them ever. The only people close to me that are aware of the existence of my comic is an old friend and my husband.

And I agree with the sentiment of "I draw the comic only for me". The fact that people read it too is an nice extra which I'm thankful for.
8th Feb 2020, 4:24 AM #18
As far as the content, The Extras is officially "all ages," so there won't be anything to be offended at. That's not to say I'll pull emotional punches or shy away from awkward topics; I'll just do it without running past the PG line with words and images.

As far as working on comics instead of, say, studying for med school, that's improved a lot as I got older. My mom used to bug me all the time about pursuing creative things instead of doing "practical" things. When my stepfather passed and I was able to help her navigate the challenges of selling off most of their assets, house, etc. I think it convinced her that I was an actual adult, and she's not said a word of complaint about it lately. Or maybe she's just resigned to what I do now, who knows?
8th Feb 2020, 4:42 AM #19
Oh yeah, they like it.

They don't always 'get' it though xD
8th Feb 2020, 5:08 AM #20
My parents approve of my comic (even if I lean a little too left for my mom's liking). My dad is a huge fan and reads every day. My uncle is also a huge fan and binges like crazy. The rest of my family aren't really comic readers, so they haven't checked it out. But I hardly think my bad puns, anime references, and occasional topless mermaids would really bother them.

I do occasionally email the odd PG page to my one grandmother from time to time; she'd probably be concerned about some of my commentary on religion in Tangentville but not so much the other stuff that makes me say "rating is usually PG-PG13 with the occasional R-rated occurrences".