Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Would your family approve of your comic?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
12 days ago, 5:29 AM #21
not the one who meowed (?)
Well, none of them DISapprove.

They're all pretty indifferent (sans husband, who not only reads it, but actually seems to enjoy it)
_________
EDIT (misunderstood the question's intention)
12 days ago, 5:39 AM #22
My family knows that I make comics and they're insisting that we have them printed. Pretty mixed though, since I don't want my first published comic series to be Boss Rush. Boss Rush was always meant to be a webcomic and I feel like it wouldn't work if it was published.
12 days ago, 5:43 AM #23
I'm blessed with parents that don't give a crap. I think they think I made up the characters or something. They know that I spend most of my free time working on comics but they don't know about my Pokemon fan comics. They barely know what Pokemon is. I've tried to get them to read one of my original comic stories and they just didn't understand how to read or follow the speech bubbles, so I gave up and haven't bothered since. :P

Thankfully my brother mostly shares the same interests as me and he at least will read my stuff :)
12 days ago, 5:59 AM #24
I forgot to mention that my 98-year-old great aunt, though she’s never actually read my comic, is very supportive of it and is always asking if I’ve tried publishing it in a newspaper or magazine XD she’s amazing
"Is making cheesecakes art? Let’s say yes.", 12 days ago, 6:26 AM #25
I’m the closest thing my family has to an artist, so they tend to be fairly impressed that I draw comics at all. They aren’t really comic readers, though.
12 days ago, 6:44 AM #26
black market meme hookup
i have to make my comic so that my mom approves of it :'I she reads it, we still live in the same house (thank god i'm finally moving out in a few months) and already she calls me out on the tiniest, tiniest little things

it's v uncomfortable and im glad im moving out before my comic gets serious. heaven forbid the evil antagonist's design might have some really vague, unintended ties to satanism if you squint (yes she got mad about this too)

i think my oldest brother is my only other family member who reads my comic... he gets it tho
12 days ago, 7:07 AM #27
They're mormon so no.
12 days ago, 7:08 AM #28
goes fast
My family told me to upload my comics on facebook, so my other family can read it too, so most of them do. I tend to make my comics I bit more family friendly because of this, The Underground Empire is an exception, because of all the blood. It's why you'll never see proper swear words in my comics, only things like 'bloody hell' XD
12 days ago, 7:21 AM #29
My family would approve if they even knew what they were looking at. My mom in particular doesn't read comics and its taken her months to even find where I post them. She thought that my Instagram updates were the comic and she was very confused. My brother read it though and he said he likes it :'^)
12 days ago, 7:25 AM #30
Technically yes.
We've been making iterations of the comic that eventually made it to Comicfury for years, so our family definitely knows about it. But, there are some things we want to do with it that they might not approve of, namely anything on the more mature side of things.
12 days ago, 7:27 AM #31
Unapologetically Enthusiastic
So... I read this title and had this innate visceral reaction to it. Which I found strange at first, because my parents are generally supportive, though have fallen behind on keeping up with my comic, like, whatever, it's no big deal.

Then I remembered that someone on here, I can't remember who, has mentioned multiple times that their parents forbid them from sharing their comic (that includes lgbt characters) with family and friends because they're homophobic and live in a religious community and then I was like "ah, that's why this question is bothering me."
12 days ago, 7:41 AM #32
Yeah! I know they do! I actually started my comic after a conversation with my kids yielded the name "Steamroller Man" as a cool superhero name. So I am really doing my comic with my family in mind. I show every page to my wife and kids, and run every story idea past them to see how they react. If the idea makes them laugh then I know it's worth pursuing.
12 days ago, 8:00 AM #33
hello.

uhm, no, not really. I mean, tbh, I haven't shared my comic with anyone I know because I'm too embarrassed to so I don't have to worry about it that much. Only two of my friends know I'm drawing comics, but thankfully only one of them keeps asking me (but she means well).

But considering where I want to take my story, and how personal it is to me, no, I don't think my family would approve, and I would be too stressed/anxious/scared to know my friends are reading it, even though I think only two or three of them wouldn't approve.
12 days ago, 8:01 AM #34
I left my family in the dust on the other side of the country DECADES ago for many many reasons, not the least of which was their rather negative opinion of my "dumb-ass hobby" that I was, supposedly, "too old for"... when I was TWELVE.
I was too old to be 'wasting my time' drawing when I was twelve, according to them. When I finally got away from them all at 17, they were much less subtle with their opinions.
I won't go into some of the braincramped B.S. I had to deal with from them, but, suffice to say, most of them wouldn't approve of me being a law abiding citizen who draws comics, particularly not at my current age.

... ANY bird can be a Phoenix, if it's ON FIRE.
12 days ago, 8:18 AM #35
Dunno if they'd hate it, but I enormously doubt they'd approve. I make allusions to it occasionally if they ask if I'm still doing a webcomic, but they get a flat NO when they ask to see it. Fortunately, they know me as a private person so it's not out of character to end the conversation. Even my friends don't see it. My wife is aware and understands that I do it as a hobby, but she doesn't read it, although she'll occasionally mention she likes the pictures.
12 days ago, 8:36 AM #36
not the one who meowed (?)
fedoramoron:("he mistakes her for a boy? i wouldn't mess with that gender stuff")

Oh jeez, maybe she's mistaking it for something more political, cause that's a surprising thing to take issue with
12 days ago, 9:17 AM #37
noticed 🐈
heckos:My parents would but I don't show it to them. Even when I still updated I didn't because I was kind of.. embarrassed? I'm really self-conscious of my writing, so I only sent the link to most of my friends if they asked specifically.

It's that funny situation where you don't care if complete strangers can see it but not the people close to you lol

This is me too! I have traditionally kept my comics "private" from family (despite them being on the internet and available for anyone) partially out of embarrassment and self consciousness. People who know you intimately can pick up on everything semi-biographical, see every inspiration, and I feel uncomfortable with that.

It's also out of habit - I'm 28 years old but I started making comics as an only-child teenager who shared EVERYTHING with my parents, except that. It was my single private outlet for my feelings, and it felt like a bit of fun rather than a "proper" publishing success that warranted sharing it. Flash forward ten years and it's a huge part of my life and I'm getting paid work and opportunities and I'm realising that letting them in on it is well overdue! Keeping it all private has been a bit selfish because seeing my work brings my parents so much joy. I for-reals published a children's science comic last year and seeing them showing it to all their friends and relations was embarrassing, but nice.
12 days ago, 9:51 AM #38
I don't even think this site approves of my comic.
Don't click this if you're a sissy
12 days ago, 11:48 AM #39
Do they or would they approve of it? Yes. I set out to make a family-friendly comic, so there's nothing anyone should be offended by in it. Bracy's rudeness is probably the only thing I could ever imagine a parent not wanting their child to see.

As to the issue of whether I share it with people, the only relatives I've shared it with are my parents, my grandmother, and one of my brothers. I've also showed it to some friends and people I've met here and there. I've never received any bad feedback about it, but I do get the sense that some of the people I share it with don't find it particularly interesting.

The reason I've never shared it with my other brother is because he has a history of making me feel bad whenever I try to do something creative, so I figure if I avoid showing it to him, he won't be able to discourage me. I also have a sister, and while we get along OK, I've never showed it to her for reasons I'd rather not get into here.
12 days ago, 12:54 PM #40
What a sucker
Very interesting responses.