Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Would your family approve of your comic?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
12 days ago, 1:57 PM #41
the only safe place is the top shelf
I... suppose they would?

When I was a kid, I used to show my works (comics and prose) to my parents all the time. And what I write today is not that different (though more mature and sophisticated I hope). And most of the time my comic is relatively tame when it comes to sex or violence...
12 days ago, 2:59 PM #42
Reapeageddon:My family knows that I make comics and they're insisting that we have them printed. Pretty mixed though, since I don't want my first published comic series to be Boss Rush. Boss Rush was always meant to be a webcomic and I feel like it wouldn't work if it was published.

I've complained about this before but yeah I have a lot of people who are nominatively supportive on the clause that "You should get this published!" when by published what they mean is printed. Ok so you will read my comic if I spend hours readying it for print, pay $$ to have it printed and bound? but won't read it as it is freely displayed on the internet? Cool appreciate it thanks

Yes I work traditionally but 1. my physical pages aren't "finished" and 2. I just set them down all over the place after I scan them so me trying to go around collecting the whole archive for a casual reader would probably take as long as getting it ready for a print run lol
12 days ago, 2:59 PM #43
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
they do, and in fact, many scenes were inspired by interactions with them!

they've always been supportive of my passion for drawing, but it doesn't hurt that I'm very big on keeping things as family-friendly as possible. random kids should be able to read my comics, dangit. things like gore, foul language, politics, edginess, adult content and misplaced realism are off-limits in my works. ok there's occasional toilet humor but who cares

(not sure what their reaction would be if, hypothetically speaking, I were to go in, let's say, the opposite direction. but that's a moot point, because I have zero interest in doing that to my characters, and I'm supposed to enjoy my own comics. it's not gonna happen, ever.)

now though, it doesn't mean they approve of every lame pun I come up with, but you can't win them all.
12 days ago, 4:55 PM #44
and the Sorcerer's Stone
I don't know if my mom would approve of the contents my comic, but knows I make one and doesn't seem to care too much. I mean, she likes the fact that I draw a comic but was never interested in what I do, since we don't really talk about it.
12 days ago, 6:08 PM #45
LOL NO!!!!! People say the fuck word in mine!
12 days ago, 6:16 PM #46
While my family have always supported me in making art, I think my comics would be met with mostly indifference and in a few circumstances be found distasteful by my family (mainly because they don't generally don't approve or at least don't have interest in stuff like grotesque monsters). As well as this, I also attribute it to the kind of fiction that other people in my family like, which is vastly different from the stuff I produce. I did show a family member my comic Bloom Saves Everyone when I was still working on it, and they didn't really understand it.

Oh well, at the end of the day you'll never please everyone, no matter what you create.
12 days ago, 6:50 PM #47
Lmaoooo no. The main character is lgbt + disabled and they're not really....open minded about those subjects. They more or less know I make a comic but they never were interested in my art to begin with (especially my mother who only like ~realistic stuff~ and thus didn't even bother looking at my art if it wasn't observation studies). They did support my hobby though, by buying me art supplies and such.
12 days ago, 8:22 PM #48
My aunt was the first person to comment on [home] and I brought up laughing to my mom how I'm not going to post about future updates where aunt can see because of profanity. My mom supports my work but just about had a meltdown about there being profanity in my work.

I think my mom actually fully supports my work but fears backlash from our super conservative family.
12 days ago, 8:25 PM #49
My few relatives who know of my comic do seem to approve (Polaris is for general audiences, no flags needed), even if they don't really follow the story seriously and might have only seen a few pages. They like the fact that I've got a comic but then there is the eventual "This stuff if great. You got talent! But why don't you do something like create the next hot superhero that can make billions like Marvel...". I don't have the heart to tell them that those days are long over for comics creators.
12 days ago, 9:12 PM #50
got away with it
Probably, but I'm not going to show it to them in case they come across a few pages that they probably wouldn't
12 days ago, 10:49 PM #51
started a new life without the kids
A while ago I tried to get my dad to read it and he got bored and quit a third way through... so that's nice......
11 days ago, 2:02 AM #52
Hmmmm some ofthem definitely wouldn't, for some upcoming scenes... :D lol
11 days ago, 2:03 AM #53
I don't know but they support my endeavor in making a webcomic. They didn't know the contents and I don't think I want to show them at all.
11 days ago, 4:50 AM #54
formerly DrFurball
For the most part, yes, they DO approve!

My mom is one of my biggest fans, sharing the link on Facebook and Twitter every time there's an update. She even leaves comments sometimes.

My dad was a big fan of WiaC when I was doing the "first draft" of it in high school, but I don't know what he thinks of the current iteration. I know he's been given the link, and I imagine he likes what he's read.

One of my aunts reads it and supports me, though I'm not sure if she quite understands it.

My brothers are aware of it, and definitely supported it when I first launched it (my youngest bro even having plans to bring me on as a guest on his short-lived podcast/YouTube channel), but I don't think they really keep up to date with it.

My youngest cousins (aged 13 and 10) have read some of it, and enjoyed it.

My stepfather is indifferent, I imagine. Very conservative, and probably feels like it's mostly just a harmless hobby because it doesn't make me any money, though I imagine he's disturbed by the idea that I'm pushing 30 and making comics.
11 days ago, 5:21 AM #55
My immediate family actually understands how much work, skill and dedication goes into this stuff. But they also know it's not doing my health any favor -- like, it is THE contributor to long term health issues of mine, and it's bad enough that I don't see myself ever doing another comic series after finishing this one. Because of that, they do not want me to keep doing this. But they are supportive of me in general.

They don't read it, in any case. It's not their bag of tea, and they know me well enough -- I would *not* want anyone to read my comic as a personal favor. If anyone reads my comic, I want it to be because they personally enjoy it.

EDIT: Forgot the question was "would they approve of it" rather than "do they support it." I don't think it would get their enthusiastic approval, but also not disapproval? Certainly nothing vehement enough to outweigh their concerns for my health issues.
11 days ago, 6:23 AM #56
My mom does so, yes. Even her nursing friends do.
11 days ago, 8:51 AM #57
My art hobby is my secret super hero identity, only few relatives know that I draw and that's it.

Their only complain is "Why don't you draw kiddie stuff like you used to?". I explain how zoomers these days don't like kiddie stuff, and they play violent and colorful game like Fortnite, and obviously they browse whatever they want on their Iphones.
11 days ago, 9:24 AM #58
Well, my mom is my co-author so... yes? XD

My dad is supportive, but doesn't really know what the story's about. He just believes that everything his daughter creates is amazing. As for all my other relatives, they don't really know about it, or I don't think they do anyway.

I'm quite lucky.
11 days ago, 11:31 PM #59
very spifflike
J-son:They're mormon so no.

So is mine but they didn't seem to mind.

My dad enjoys the comic. He finds Kyoni cute and the story convincing enough. Jokingly he said it seems written to be animated. This is partially true as I studied up on cinematography in the middle of chapter 2; I felt it would help. He does have some solid critiques that I agree with. Chapter 1-3 the art needs to be completely redone; he said it took too amateur compared to later chapters. Chapter 6, which was all combat, he felt went on for too long and it was too dark. Despite the monsters being fully drawn they often were hard to see with his smartphone. Then again my dad and I used to watch anime together so he's probably an exception to the rule. Now he and I talk about the comic and anime whenever we meet up a few times a year.

My siblings don't really care. My brother tried reading it but I don't know if he got very far. One of my adopted siblings loved the comic, she likes Kyoni. My grandpa is excited to see me draw but he doesn't want to read it. Sometimes I'll show him pages and drawings and he'll talk about various projects of his own. My male family line has a habit of working on large projects (grandpa is a civil engineer) so he's happy to see the creative spark still alive. After my dad saw me doing the comic for 6+ years he started working on writing some Light Novels.

My mom didn't like it as it was way too violent and the language is rough. She liked the art of chapter 5 though before she passed away. My grandma was happy to see how I drew the comic. she tried to pick up art when she turned 70 but had a hard time with it until she passed. Since she wasn't a fan of technology she said if I printed it she wanted to read it. I guess I failed on that part.

10 days ago, 12:41 AM #60
they approve of it, but they don't understand it at all. they also think it's good that i'm expanding on skills that i can maybe "monetize" but that's not my goal with any of this, i'm just out here having hobbies.