Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Would your family approve of your comic?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
10 days ago, 12:54 AM #61
they think it's kind of cool that I can make some extra money doing it.
10 days ago, 4:17 AM #62
Mine have approved of it, so far. And I am grateful they like the idea of me expressing ideas that have been bouncing around in my head for ages. My older sister was my first fan, and she even wanted to assist in voice dubs.
But considering how I want my comic to shift, from the nice interactions and friendly character jabs, with some lightly sprinkled in dark humor, to the idea I have in my head of psychological horror elements and realistic tones, I think they'll slowly start wanting me to back off of it.
8 days ago, 3:06 AM #63
Birb is the Worb
Leafa:This is me too! I have traditionally kept my comics "private" from family (despite them being on the internet and available for anyone) partially out of embarrassment and self consciousness. People who know you intimately can pick up on everything semi-biographical, see every inspiration, and I feel uncomfortable with that.

I'm behind in the conversation, but so much this. This is the main reason I don't share comics with family. When my dad read the first chapter of Beyond, he kept trying to find things in the characters that applied to me, even though I don't deliberately do author avatar stuff. More specifically, he asked if Nate was autistic. I mean, it's not impossible-? But it was never on my mind. It's unlikely.

Also I used to have a ponytail and I wear glasses now, and though I never had both at the same time, I would be horrified to think anyone suspected I based any character's appearance on my own, silly as it may sound.
8 days ago, 3:18 AM #64
black market meme hookup
^my mom thinks of my protagonist as "me" even though my protag's personality and design are crazy different, and it's very weird. that specifically is harmless, but it could get uncomfortable fast; i never thought how to word the thing that leafa said, but it definitely hit the nail on the head. i'll bring it up next time my mom and i get in a fight about why i'm uncomfortable showing her my stuff when i post it for everyone else in the world to see
8 days ago, 3:25 AM #65
Of all the things for my family to disapprove of me doing I highly doubt my comics would bother them all that much. Honestly, they have pretty much learned to stay detached from my work and opinions after I came out as an gnostic atheist.
One week ago, 7:00 AM #66
on complicated terms with man
Pretty much all of my stuff is comedy-oriented, so I'm very glad that my mom "gets" my sense of humor. I've been able to show her my rough drafts to make sure the jokes are landing the way I want them to, and she's usually the first to say "but your writing is so funny!" whenever I'm doubting myself. My dad asks to see my work a lot as well, but he sometimes gets confused by the simple, cartoony style. Artwork is not always my strongest skill.

My brother isn't quite as interested in what I draw, but he knows me well enough to appreciate my weird interests. Yes, of course I made an entire webcomic that ended up being about brain parasites. That's just so me.
One week ago, 7:37 AM #67
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Yes
One week ago, 1:50 PM #68
No

Don't read if you're having a good day.

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

One week ago, 2:06 PM #69
What a sucker
Holy cow.
One week ago, 2:16 PM #70
Yes. Holy cow, indeed :(

I DO have slight support for
my newest comic, though! Solely because
only my sis knows about it and she likes drama:
The comic's a action-drama and she
doesn't mind giving suggestions on
what would be more feels inducing..

One week ago, 2:45 PM #71
I forgot to say this, but it was a family member who encouraged me to do my gag comic Word is the Bird because Sunday funnies are a good way to start. So it's safe to say that they approve of it and they support me. I am lucky like that.
One week ago, 3:27 PM #72
CrosEL:No

Don't read if you're having a good day.

Man, I think I'm fine with my family not caring about my creations at all. I mean, they leave me do my thing after all.
It also helps I'm an adult and don't live at my parents home.
One week ago, 3:33 PM #73
In my case, my family approves of my comic and are pretty happy I have that as a hobby, mainly because it's better than to stay in absolute apathy, so they generally encourage me to pursue my hobby.
One week ago, 4:38 PM #74
Timishayd:Man, I think I'm fine with my family not caring about my creations at all. I mean, they leave me do my thing after all.
It also helps I'm an adult and don't live at my parents home.

Lol, rub it in!

Seriously though, I wish my family DID leave me alone.
They actually try to stop me from doing it, I don't necessarily
need their support so much as I need peace and time to pursue
my hobby...

6 days ago, 12:50 AM #75
That’s awful, I’m really sorry. :(
6 days ago, 12:58 AM #76
CrosEL:Lol, rub it in!

Seriously though, I wish my family DID leave me alone.
They actually try to stop me from doing it, I don't necessarily
need their support so much as I need peace and time to pursue
my hobby...

I'm sorry, it wasn't my intention n.nU
It may seem like a long wait, but peace will come to you eventually.
6 days ago, 1:36 AM #77
They wouldn't enjoy it, per say. But they wouldn't have anything against me making it.
Edit: My mother keeps asking for places where I share my work. Yet when I do nobody in my family says anything. No feedback whatsoever, so I just don't share it anywhere.

---
6 days ago, 9:39 AM #78
My family is ridiculously religious, with the exception of my brother. They most certainly would not like my work since it features plenty of nudity. Violence, war, death, that`s fine- nudity- No. Heck even anything that slightly shows the female form is bad.

Yet, I still insist on doing these things.

And I still see my family regularly. Oh and I don`t hate religion at all, in fact I see it as important still.

5 days ago, 5:04 PM #79
CrosEL:No

Holy ..., that's terrible.
May I send you an internet hug?

Mine is largely mildly interested, but I'm a bit worried that some may end up being a lot less happy about it when some of the darker parts come into play.
Though people I send the script to keep theorizing over who I "am" (spoiler:nobody) which kind of makes it clear how little they know me as they keep guessing totally different characters.

"Oh, you're X character, right? Because she's really curious and naive?"

"So, Timofey's supposed to be you? He's so scared of everything, I really hope to see him grow."

(The closest may actually be Egam, but I suppose since he's autistic and I'm not out OR diagnosed yet people don't think of him.)

Still very much a mess, owning to my incompetence in actually getting pages online, any advice/critique is welcome.
4 days ago, 8:41 PM #80
In general my family have always supported me to draw. I don't actually know what my family members think about my comic. My sister knows the whole story and have always been supporting. I haven't talked about my comic with other family members and they haven't asked about it either. They know that I draw comic and they know where to find it. This is my hobby what I do on freetime. I don't know how my family would react if this was my actual job.