Pages: 1
"Comic is not yours(?)", 5 days ago, 5:20 AM #1
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
Quick question: what would this mean? I get this error
sometimes, only just this month. What's happening?
I can't even access someone else's comic if I wanted,
and: Even when doing a collab-comic thing; one's unable to
upload or do anything else to another's comic without
permission, right? So the upload screen wouldn't be there
even IF I was trying to screw with someone else's comic...

The situation is: I'm uploading from my 2DS as normal,
and when I fill out the forms and pick "upload"
sometimes it loads the "Comic's not yours" error
message. Or the upload button doesn't work at
all... It literally happened a few minutes ago, sometimes
in it happens in the afternoon, but it's happening at bedtime
too, now... (This' in case something's happening at
specific times)

Why doesn't the site recognize me
uploading to my own comics?

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

4 days ago, 2:54 AM #2
Kyo
🐊
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
I think what's probably happening is that the mass upload script is erroring (possibly because it's using something the 3ds doesn't support?), and it's just sending you to the managecomic.php page without any webcomic id at all. Does it happen when you try to do a specific type of thing? Unfortunately I doubt there's any way to get access to the javascript console on a 3ds, so it's hard to do anything beyond guessing.
4 days ago, 2:05 PM #3
CrosEL

It only happens at random; and I only upload from the 3DS as it's the only thing it can do easily. You have
to be right, I'm not doing anything complicated and I just heard that Nintendo's sending "updates" to kill
the usability of the system to force customers to move on...
I guess the only thing to do is grin and bear it until I can get a legit art tablet to draw/upload from.

4 days ago, 9:14 PM #4
Ngamer01

Registration date: 3rd Dec 2019
Nintendo doesn't kill old hardware. When a product reaches end of life, it only means the hardware stops receiving official support like new games and apps, firmware updates, and repair support from Nintendo themselves (3rd parties are free to continue making new games and apps for 3DS, firmware updates, or offer repairs, but there will be a period where you have to move on and stop offering support).

For those on older hardware that find they can't do stuff they used to, I'm sorry, but it's time to get a newer piece of hardware. Since Nintendo doesn't have a webbrowser on Switch, you just may have to work with a new smartphone or tablet if you can't use a PC/laptop.
4 days ago, 10:05 PM #5
CrosEL

Ngamer01: I'm sorry, but it's time to get a newer piece of hardware. Since Nintendo doesn't have a webbrowser on Switch, you just may have to work with a new smartphone or tablet if you can't use a PC/laptop.

Nooo, everything costs so much... :(
But you're right, I can't do it now, but Yeah, another device's more preferable...

3 days ago, 2:39 AM #6
killersteak
Botanist
Registration date: 25th Apr 2011
dont you have a library or something you can utilise to get things done?
"Try Kyo's fail-gator mode", 2 days ago, 6:35 AM #7
xwindows
ascii man
Registration date: 23rd Dec 2014
Kyo:I think what's probably happening is that the mass upload script is erroring (possibly because it's using something the 3ds doesn't support?), and it's just sending you to the managecomic.php page without any webcomic id at all.

CrosEL:It only happens at random; and I only upload from the 3DS as it's the only thing it can do easily.

@CrosEL, are you doing mass upload or page-by-page? If you do page-by-page upload, mobile browsers usually have an option to disable JavaScript in their preferences; so go do that, then refresh the upload page, and try again.

Once you do it this way, the thing will fall back to a plain HTML-based form submission; which should work unconditionally for page-by-page upload. (1)

You can do this every time you have to upload to Comic Fury, or when you use Comic Fury in general. (2)(3)

Note: Don't forget to re-enable JavaScript once you're done; that is, unless you really want live digital-minimalistic NoScript life like I do.

@Kyo, is the page-by-page uploader script hooked in a way that when its last-ditch exception handler caught unexpected failure, would bypass itself and let old-school form submission take place, as if JavaScript was disabled from the start? (e.g. by keeping relevant data in-element rather than in-variable, and return `true` from the <form>'s onSubmit handler)

Ngamer01:For those on older hardware that find they can't do stuff they used to, I'm sorry, but it's time to get a newer piece of hardware.

I oppose this sentiment; this is called regression, not development. Each function of the software should continue to work as long as the functionality demanded by the gist of the said feature is present.

It angers me so much, that most contemporary developers ignore (some even condescend) this practice, for business reasons; and it is one of the main reasons that we have electronics junk piling higher than our head. As a power user, and libre software developer, I refuse to be a part of this vicious cycle.

This is why I always demand device which is user-programmable down to the OS/firmware-level; so I can continue to support myself, and the likes of me, until the device die on me without spare part I could solder on. (These exist, but not in every realm of computing, and definitely not gaming platform)

Side note: The device I'm typing this on is ~7 years old, and another one I own is approaching its 13th birthday. I also use Comic Fury without JavaScript from day one, and by default (99.99% of a time) for technical as well as political reasons.

-----

(1) Even I don't currently have a real comic, it is the function I have been semi-regularly testing here for many years now. (2)
(2) Caveat: this workaround won't apply for mass upload or uploading multi-images page; for @Kyo reasons.
(3) The only Comic Fury forum function that won't work in this configuration is Like/Dislike post; for an unclear reason.
2 days ago, 6:52 AM #8
Kyo
🐊
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
you would not get this error on the single page upload, the reason this error is showing up is that the mass uploader <form> tags do not have an action or a method attribute (since they're meant to be used in conjunction with js anyway), hence they default to get, and overwrite the current webcomic id

I'll add attributes to make it at least redirect to a more meaningful error when this happens (to be honest this was already on the issue tracker, but I hadn't gotten around to it yet)
Yesterday, 5:12 PM #9
CrosEL

killersteak:dont you have a library or something you can utilise to get things done?

No.

I'm uploading from my game system, and even now, I'm borrowing my dad's PC
since my android has severe typing problems.

And even then, I can't make the comic on my
android, so I can't upload it from that...

Merged Doublepost:

[quote=xwindows]@CrosEL, are you doing mass upload or page-by-page? If you do page-by-page upload, mobile browsers usually have an option to disable JavaScript in their preferences; so go do that, then refresh the upload page, and try again.

Once you do it this way, the thing will fall back to a plain HTML-based form submission; which should work unconditionally for page-by-page upload. (1)

You can do this every time you have to upload to Comic Fury, or when you use Comic Fury in general. (2)(3)

Note: Don't forget to re-enable JavaScript once you're done; that is, unless you really want live digital-minimalistic NoScript life like I do.

If my DS has the option, Ill try this!

And yes, I WANT to live a no Script life: you know how many times my DS and android would stop COMPLETELY
and I waited for like 15-20 minutes for the page to load, only for it to tell me it's running a script
and it's taking a while?

(sorry, that last part resonated SO much...)

Pages: 1