Forum > Co-Authors offered/wanted > Looking for a spriter
Pages: 1
"Looking for a spriter", 6 days ago, 1:13 PM #1
Unfortunately I need a spriter to make a bunch of Pokemon sprites for me.
Unfortunately I will not be able to pay but we can talk about it (and you can use the sprites for yourself if you want)
Whenever I get sprites from sprinters resource they appear blurred and I tried everything, I even tried making my own sprites but they don't really look too great and honestly asking for help with somthing like this is my last thing I'd do with making a comic.

I need Pokemon from gen 1-3 done but to be honest I am not asking for all, just mainly these:

Charmander line
Bulbasuar line
Pikachu line (including female tail)
Eevee line
Squirtle line
Pidgeot line
Igglybuff line
Kangaskahn
Legendary bird trio
Mew
Lugia
Ho-oh
Latias
Latios
Groudon
Kyogre
Treecko line
Mudkip line
Torchick line
Nidoran line
Zigazoon line
(And more that I may add later)

I will credit you when I use them and I'll never use the sprites outside of my comic or comic cover/banner. I willlet you know when I need more Pokemon sprites.
Sprites can be the same view as the Pokemon mystery dungeon games or side view like the super mario games.
Not sure about backgrounds... depending on your style I may make my own or use the game's if it's alright with you. You can do the backgrounds if you choose.

Please make sure they do not show up blurry when used on iOS and try to not put too many on one sheet?
6 days ago, 2:10 PM #2
Digital Metalworker
That's an awfully big job to do for just exposure. Are you sure you can't collaborate with one of the many other people here working on Pokémon fancomics?

ADDENDUM: I just did a count of the Pokémon listed, and that amounts to 58 individual character sprite sheets not including regional forms and Obstagoon. That's … excessive, to say the least.
4 days ago, 2:28 AM #3
BMR

Yeah, that's... a lot of work. Speaking as a pixel artist, on a good day, I might be able to get a decent non-animated sprite in something like 30 minutes to an hour and a half. No idea how many are in a line, but if it is indeed 58 according to Sikyanakotik, that's over 80 hours of work right there. And that's just individual sprites, not counting other poses and stuff. That is a massive ton of work, especially for just exposure.

EDIT: After taking a look at your Team of Trust comic, that bit about the resources being blurry seems to me as less of an issue with the assets themselves, and more an issue with whatever rescaling algorithm you're using. You're going to want something with no interpolation when resizing pixel art, otherwise it will indeed get that blurry look. No idea what software you're using, so wouldn't be able to tell you what to use to fix it.
4 days ago, 5:07 AM #4
I am on iOS and the app I use is called "autodesk sketchbook" (or however it's called). I get the sprites from the sprinters resource and I get the image by taping the download image link and saving the image.
I then open Sketchbook and I paste the sprite sheets on it (resizing is not done until later) I make the background transparent by using the fill tool then I select one sprite then I copy it then I paste and resize the one sprite on another layer
4 days ago, 7:49 AM #5
BMR

Haven't used that program, so can't help there. But what you're going to want to look for is how to turn off the interpolation when scaling. Stuff like "Linear", "Bicubic", etc... That's what you need to turn off. Because even if you do somehow manage to get a spriter for free, until you fix that rescaling problem you'll keep getting blurry images, no matter what your spriter provides you.
4 days ago, 9:03 PM #6
BMR:Haven't used that program, so can't help there. But what you're going to want to look for is how to turn off the interpolation when scaling. Stuff like "Linear", "Bicubic", etc... That's what you need to turn off. Because even if you do somehow manage to get a spriter for free, until you fix that rescaling problem you'll keep getting blurry images, no matter what your spriter provides you.

^ This, really.

Gonna add to BMR's advice and mention that I think you're asking for help in the wrong place here - the issue is with your setup, not the sprite sheet themselves. So it would be better to ask for help directly in the AutoDesk Sketchbook forums on how to scale images up/down without causing anti-aliasing or blurriness.
3 days ago, 3:11 PM #7
Try this Pixel Art Scaler (works in the browser):

https://lospec.com/pixel-art-scaler/
3 days ago, 5:25 PM #8
BMR

I just gave it a shot. It's great at rescaling, and it should do everything that Silver Flame requires. However, I would not recommend it for actual pixel art, as there are sometimes a few problems. I experimented with it, and found that it will sometimes mess up your palettes. A 16 color sprite was bumped up to 30 colors somehow, and isolating those duplicate colors can be a pain.

Still a decent tool though, if you're just looking to rescale pixel art for use in a comic.

I would however, recommend that site in general, as they've got a bunch of other good resources, and their tutorials are great as well. Lot's of good stuff there.