Forum > Layouts, HTML, CSS & Javascript > Is it possible to reverse blog archive page numbering?
Pages: 1
"Is it possible to reverse blog archive page numbering?", Two weeks ago, 9:32 PM #1
Hi,

Right now my blog archive is set to show just one blog post per page, however the page order shows the latest post as page 1 and the oldest post as the highest current page number. Is there any way to reverse this so that the oldest post is page one and the newest post takes the highest page number?

I wish to do this so that blog posts will all be in one place and have more permanent links, while still being in the archive (not the blog page).

Right now, my blog archive html is as follows:

Based on the pinned forum post about variables, I suspect I'd need to edit the [c:lastpagenumber>1], [l:pages], and/or [l:blogs_paginated] variables somehow, but I'm not sure how this would work, or if it can be done at all.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
13 days ago, 8:51 AM #2
Kyo
🐊
this is currently not possible. You can reverse the order of the blogs that are being displayed on one page (by using [l:@blogs_paginated]...[/] instead of [l:blogs_paginated]...[/]), but you cannot reverse the actual page order
13 days ago, 11:56 AM #3
@MitchRandom, Maybe hack the system by copying old blog #1 to new blog #2 and replacing the old blog #1 with newest blog content.

Whew, need a way to automate that if you blog a large archive.
12 days ago, 4:43 AM #4
Kyo:this is currently not possible. You can reverse the order of the blogs that are being displayed on one page (by using [l:@blogs_paginated]...[/] instead of [l:blogs_paginated]...[/]), but you cannot reverse the actual page order

Ah that's unfortunate. Thanks for letting me know.

@MitchRandom, Maybe hack the system by copying old blog #1 to new blog #2 and replacing the old blog #1 with newest blog content.

Whew, need a way to automate that if you blog a large archive.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think that would be a little too much work. I'll just live with the current setup I suppose.
12 days ago, 6:58 PM #5
mitchrandom:I wish to do this so that blog posts will all be in one place and have more permanent links, while still being in the archive (not the blog page).

Hmm, well, that was strange to me so I checked out my blog and other comics' blogs and they are all in ascending numeric order. Older blogs are lower numbered, newer blogs are higher numbered. The links don't change. If you want to display permanent links to each blog, you have to list them like this:

http://yourcomic.thecomicseries.com/blogarchive/123456

So maybe you're talking about the page numbers at the bottom of the blog archive? True, those are in reverse order to the blog posting order. if you want older blogs to be on page 1, to fix that you would have to use Javascript, I guess. Put all those links in an array and reverse the index. (It's just cosmetic and not intended for permanent links).
11 days ago, 4:58 AM #6
Robotwin.com:So maybe you're talking about the page numbers at the bottom of the blog archive? True, those are in reverse order to the blog posting order. if you want older blogs to be on page 1, to fix that you would have to use Javascript, I guess. Put all those links in an array and reverse the index. (It's just cosmetic and not intended for permanent links).

That is what I was referring to. Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll just have to rethink my approach to the blog setup in order to get things to work practically (rather than cosmetically as you mentioned). Thanks though!
11 days ago, 4:17 PM #7
Humble opinion, but constricting the blog archive list to 1 at a time conflicts with the purpose of the blog display and defeats the purpose of the blog archive. Practically speaking, it's normal UI/UX practice to list a bunch of blog snippets or blog titles and let the reader select which one they wanna read in detail. But authors like yourself should have the option to direct readers to the latest blog or first blog rather than a contortion of the archive list.

For example, comics can link to the last comic with
thecomicseries.com/comics/last

Conversely, and inconsistently, this goes to the archive list
thecomicseries.com/blog/last

Maybe we should petition Kyo to fix this in a suggestion thread. Like have a settings option to display the latest blog when clicking "blog" in the navigation, rather than the archive list.
9 days ago, 5:31 AM #8
Robotwin.com:Humble opinion, but constricting the blog archive list to 1 at a time conflicts with the purpose of the blog display and defeats the purpose of the blog archive. Practically speaking, it's normal UI/UX practice to list a bunch of blog snippets or blog titles and let the reader select which one they wanna read in detail. But authors like yourself should have the option to direct readers to the latest blog or first blog rather than a contortion of the archive list.

I agree with that statement overall. The reason I ended up in this situation in the first place was I saw the blog archive and blog display structures as almost identical and thought they were redundant, considering the archive page showed entire blog posts. As a result I focused on the archive page and basically wiped the blog display page html so that I wouldn't need as many css classes (my stylesheet is already 1600 lines long). My mistake, but even if I hadn't done that I feel like I'd still have some form of this problem.

I could always just rewrite the blog display html from scratch, but I feel like it would be a waste of time considering I could just reverse page numbers in the archive, but as I've learned that's not possible unfortunately. Maybe I'll find the time to do it later on.

For example, comics can link to the last comic with
thecomicseries.com/comics/last

Conversely, and inconsistently, this goes to the archive list
thecomicseries.com/blog/last

Maybe we should petition Kyo to fix this in a suggestion thread. Like have a settings option to display the latest blog when clicking "blog" in the navigation, rather than the archive list.

I definitely think this would be a very helpful feature, good idea. I could probably use it as a workaround if it were implemented until I could rebuild the blog display structure.
9 days ago, 7:20 PM #9
Here's a generic blog display structure for you:

After getting blog display structure fixed, another possible workaround is to copy the "view blog entry" link when you create your latest blog, and put that link in your navigation manually in place of the blog archive link.

There's also a way to do it automatically, using Javascript to fetch the highest numbered link from the archive list, and populate your navigation with that link instead of the blog archive.
5 days ago, 8:30 PM #10
Ok, I'll give those two ideas a try. Thank you!
Yesterday, 10:11 PM #11
Here's another way to get a link to the latest blog, without Javascript!

Put something like this in your navigation in place of the default blog archive link:
[c:hasblogs]
  [l:blogs]
    [c:l.is_first]
      <a href="[v:l.bloglink]">Latest Blog</a>
    [/]
  [/]
[/]

Of course, you'll have to customize this to fit your navigation structure.
Forum > Layouts, HTML, CSS & Javascript > Is it possible to reverse blog archive page numbering?
Pages: 1