Forum > News & Announcements > Introducing: ComicFury Narrow™
Pages: 1 2 3
"Introducing: ComicFury Narrow™", 19th Feb 2020, 1:58 PM #1
Kyo
🐊
Hey everyone,

As a tech guy, I always have my finger on the pulse of where things are going. As such, I have a prediction about the future to share with you:

I believe that using the internet on our phones is going to be the next big thing. Because of this, I've come up with a brand new concept, invented here at ComicFury, I call it the "responsive web design". If you view the site on a small device, you see, it'll now shift things around so it actually fits on the page. Let me just reiterate one more time that this has never been done before until now.

Try it out! Let me know what you think! And of course, tell me if there are any problems. I had to change a lot of stuff to make things work, so there's a lot of potential for new and exciting bugs. Oh and if you do run into any issues, please also let me know what browser you're using!

PS: Also, I probably can't really get away with this announcement without addressing this: It's nice that CF is now more usable on phones and stuff, but what about the webcomics? Well, things are as they were, these changes only affect the CF site itself (as you might have guessed). But in the future, I do plan to add an optional mobile-optimized infinite scroll mode that's integrated into comicfury itself, as an alternate browsing mode. This will allow everyone to have a mobile-friendly way to access their comics, while retaining our backlog of 11 years of custom layouts unharmed. But the infinite scroll mode won't have all the features of a fully fledged webcomic site, it's not meant to replace it. So in addition to that, I will also try to mobile-optimize our default layouts at least a bit better, just as I did with CF itself. None of that is done or even started yet though, so I got a lot more work to do.

Anyway, like I said, let me know what you think! There's also a setting to disable it in your account settings, note that this will only work on mobile browsers though (because it's based on the viewport tag, if that means anything to you).
19th Feb 2020, 2:03 PM #2
🥔 Potato Parttaker 🥔
Thanks for the heart attack. I was on cf on my phone earlier and it was normal and then thisss.

Anyway, thank you, man. It surprised me, I like it. It's nicer than zooming around to actually look at things/read them on the main site. I like that the forums are front and center on the main page but not the whole thing.
19th Feb 2020, 2:17 PM #3
I LOVE IT!

----

Kyo-master, why does ComicFury load so slow when I use my mobile data, but loads normally when I use real WiFi?
19th Feb 2020, 2:21 PM #4
I quite like zooming in on the desktop site on my phone, but it appears that since this was probably done using CSS based on the screen width rather than being a separate interface, I cannot switch back to the desktop view using "request desktop site". Is there a minor change you could make to the code in order to make this possible?

It's a good mobile interface though - one that doesn't "dumb down" the desktop interface.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
19th Feb 2020, 2:27 PM #5
This is great! I love it!
Now i don’t have to zoom in and out when browsing CF using my phone.
Thanks!

19th Feb 2020, 2:27 PM #6
🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍏🍍
I keep trying to scroll horizontally out of habit and get angry because nothing happens.
19th Feb 2020, 2:27 PM #7
I love it, Kyo. I just pulled the site up and my heart skipped a beat. This is SO much easier!

Apropos of nothing else but something I’ve wanted to mention for a while: I personally so appreciate that you have never added a “like” or “heart” button to comic pages like all other media sites seem to do...probably odd of me, but I have a theory that the existence of such a quick and lazy response button has actually resulted in LESS reader engagement than more. I know that I get far less commentary/feedback on Facebook and deviantart despite many viewers and I honestly believe it is because 90% of people feel like they’ve done their duty by clicking that like.

But here I still get massive reader response and thoughtful, enthusiastic commentary and I thrive on it. I may be wrong in thinking that would take a nosedive if an alternate, quick option were there - all I know is there was correlation between that option becoming available on deviantart and my gallery becoming a ghost town.

So just my vote, in case it’s something you ever considered - please don’t!

But yay for mobile viewing!

Merged Doublepost:

RJDG14:I quite like zooming in on the desktop site on my phone, but it appears that since this was probably done using CSS based on the screen width rather than being a separate interface, I cannot switch back to the desktop view using "request desktop site". Is there a minor change you could make to the code in order to make this possible?

It's a good mobile interface though - one that doesn't "dumb down" the desktop interface.

I just noticed that you can go into your settings and disable mobile site.

19th Feb 2020, 2:35 PM #8
I was propelled into the future as I refreshed the page. I thought the site was attacking me and I was ready to fend it off as I knew this day would come. But then, something amazing happened. I found that I could suddenly read the words without zooming in. The site was not my enemy just yet. What a wild ride. 2020 amirite everybody
19th Feb 2020, 3:05 PM #9
I'll join the "love" faction.
Really a great improvement for us who want to stay on the bed a bit longer xD
19th Feb 2020, 3:13 PM #10
Love the new mobile format. It was a pleasant surprise when I didn't have to zoom in to find anything. I went through some threads looking to see if any large images caused a post to stretch horizontally. The only things that stood out were images in spoiler boxes and linked youtube videos.
19th Feb 2020, 3:34 PM #11
Saeriellyn:I love it, Kyo. I just pulled the site up and my heart skipped a beat. This is SO much easier!

Apropos of nothing else but something I’ve wanted to mention for a while: I personally so appreciate that you have never added a “like” or “heart” button to comic pages like all other media sites seem to do...probably odd of me, but I have a theory that the existence of such a quick and lazy response button has actually resulted in LESS reader engagement than more. I know that I get far less commentary/feedback on Facebook and deviantart despite many viewers and I honestly believe it is because 90% of people feel like they’ve done their duty by clicking that like.

But here I still get massive reader response and thoughtful, enthusiastic commentary and I thrive on it. I may be wrong in thinking that would take a nosedive if an alternate, quick option were there - all I know is there was correlation between that option becoming available on deviantart and my gallery becoming a ghost town.

So just my vote, in case it’s something you ever considered - please don’t!

But yay for mobile viewing!

Merged Doublepost:

I just noticed that you can go into your settings and disable mobile site.

Ah yes, thanks for that!

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
19th Feb 2020, 3:50 PM #12
Gonna see how this displays on my tablet when I get home, but as of right now on my iPhone, mobile format looks super awesome. :D

I think my only one slight very minor gripe is that the rotating banner don’t look quite crisp? It’s not horrendous, and I can look past it, but I wonder if an image sizing issue might be at play here.
19th Feb 2020, 4:05 PM #13
🕎 Light it up 🕎
aAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

I can zoom in, but I can't zoom out. I like having my text barely legible and zooming out to fit as much onto my screen as possible (insecurity thing, I just want to see those gators sneaking around before they spot me!!!). It'll help for those lengthy posts so people aren't scrolling down for years.

That's my only gripe! Other than that, prefer this on mobile for sure. Makes it easier to navigate.
19th Feb 2020, 4:11 PM #14
pigs are smarter than bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
i straight up thought this was an early april fools joke
19th Feb 2020, 4:13 PM #15
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Front page looks weird
19th Feb 2020, 4:16 PM #16
Kyo
🐊
Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone! I'm glad y'all seem to like it for the most part

jellyfishin:Gonna see how this displays on my tablet when I get home, but as of right now on my iPhone, mobile format looks super awesome. :D

I think my only one slight very minor gripe is that the rotating banner don’t look quite crisp? It’s not horrendous, and I can look past it, but I wonder if an image sizing issue might be at play here.

Yeah, it's being rendered at 1:1 size to the viewport, which would be about the same size as on your average desktop screen. However your phone screen has a much higher pixel density, so it looks ugly. Unfortunately to really fix this I would have to redesign the banner. That probably will happen, I've played around with it a little bit, but since I'd have to also re-do the image for each individual gator, I decided not to let this delay the whole thing.

Shekets:aAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

I can zoom in, but I can't zoom out. I like having my text barely legible and zooming out to fit as much onto my screen as possible (insecurity thing, I just want to see those gators sneaking around before they spot me!!!). It'll help for those lengthy posts so people aren't scrolling down for years.

That's my only gripe! Other than that, prefer this on mobile for sure. Makes it easier to navigate.

I dunno if there's really a way to fix that, I think it's just something that's sort of inherent to making a mobile site. Since the page is now actually being rendered at the width of your phone's viewport, there's nothing to zoom out further into, since everything fits on the page. maybe there's phone browsers out there where zooming works the way it works on desktop browsers, but I haven't come accross any.

lilmikee2004:Love the new mobile format. It was a pleasant surprise when I didn't have to zoom in to find anything. I went through some threads looking to see if any large images caused a post to stretch horizontally. The only things that stood out were images in spoiler boxes and linked youtube videos.

I'll be sure to fix that, thanks for letting me know!
19th Feb 2020, 4:19 PM #17
how does the narrow version interact with giant, un-resized pictures in the forums
19th Feb 2020, 4:20 PM #18
Kyo
🐊
giant unresized images now get shrunk to fit the page in general

please do not embed any 20mb images though
19th Feb 2020, 4:21 PM #19
at long last
19th Feb 2020, 5:04 PM #20
loved birds way before they were the word
DOPE! This is great, thank you! I was surprised to find the site looking mobile friendly when I loaded it this morning, but everything looks good. Thank you for shrinking huge images in the forum too.