Forum > News & Announcements > add this code to your webcomic layout, become rich instantly
Pages: 1 2
"add this code to your webcomic layout, become rich instantly", 26th Feb 2020, 1:19 AM #1
Kyo
🐊
Hello

this time I'm here to bring you two small announcements, and one reminder while I'm at it.

1) We now have a full list of languages when creating your webcomic or editing it's profile/info in your webcomic management. The search still has the old list of languages for now (with all non-listed ones being categorized as "other") but that'll change in the future. In any case, if your webcomic is in a language that wasn't previously listed (say e.g. polish or thai), please update your webcomic info to specify the correct language!

2) I added anchors to comments in all the default layouts, so that I can actually generate links to a specific comment on your site (that will take you to the comment you want to see, not just the top of the page its on). Right now only your webcomic management and webcomic profiles use those links, but my updates will use them in the future as well (once it stops bundling comment updates - I'm working on it!)

Anyway, if you do not have an unmodified default layout, you need to modify your layout to be able to get these fancy links that are able to take you to specific comments on the page, but it's easy to do and it's worth it. Head to the "edit Layout" screen on your webcomic management, and do the following:

1. Click the "Comic Page" tab

find:

[l:authornotes]

replace with:

[l:authornotes]
  <div id="[v:l.commentanchor]"></div>

for the next two steps, if your layout is based on desire, do the steps described here next instead.

(still on the comic page tab) also find:

[l:comments]

and replace with:

2. click "Blog Display"

find:

and replace with:

and you're done!

if you know your HTML, you can also just apply the id attribute to an existing div in your comment loop, the above is more intended as a solution that works everywhere and doesn't require you to understand what's happening

3) just as a reminder, while you're fiddling with your webcomic info anyway - we changed our flag system to have two levels of flags a couple months back, so if you never adjusted your flags after that, they may be set higher than they need to be! Probably give that a double check also while you're at it.
26th Feb 2020, 1:24 AM #2
And who could forget dear future knight
but i like the bundling, it reduces clutter
26th Feb 2020, 1:30 AM #3
Kyo
🐊
to be honest, i don't really know what the new user cp will look like yet (i doubt it'll be that different from the old one visually anyway), maybe I shouldn't be making bold statements about it like that. Anyway, the current user CP kinda sucks at showing you which comment is new when you already received 12 comments on the comic before (an enviable problem to be sure, but still) - so at the very least I intend to do something about that somehow, probably involving these fancy new anchors. Same with replies obviously, the idea is to have you not have to manually search for your replies on the page
26th Feb 2020, 2:03 AM #4
Environment Knight
Kyo:2) I added anchors to comments in all the default layouts, so that I can actually generate links to a specific comment on your site (that will take you to the comment you want to see, not just the top of the page its on).

BLESS U KYO THIS WILL HELP ME SO MUCH

MY DAYS OF SCREENSHOTTING COMMENTS ARE OVER
26th Feb 2020, 2:16 AM #5
What a sucker
Tried it with PHCF and LECTRO, and while LECTRO looks okay, PHCF looks a bit...

Run-togethery?

Was it always like this, or is that because of the code? (I didn't do the blog thing yet because I don't have any blog posts - might wanna start updating those maybe.)

Also if your name has been censored from your comment, it's because it feels rude to use other people's usernames for this. For some reason.
26th Feb 2020, 2:55 AM #6
Kyo
🐊
oh dang, i guess my one size fits all solution does not fit all

If your layout is based on desire, instead, on the comic page AND blog display find:

<div class="boxes [c:l.is_reply]reply[/]">

replace with:

<div class="boxes [c:l.is_reply]reply[/]" id="[v:l.commentanchor]">

the author notes part you should be able to leave as is
26th Feb 2020, 12:20 PM #7
how can i tell its working? i think i added it properly, but i dont see any difference to show if it is.
26th Feb 2020, 12:28 PM #8
Kyo
🐊
you can head to your webcomic profile, and click "On <page name here>" on one of the comments - if it takes you to the comment rather than the top of the page, it's working
26th Feb 2020, 12:32 PM #9
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Kyo:Hello

2) I added anchors to comments in all the default layouts,

Are these responsibly sourced anchors from downed vessels? How heavy will this make each comment?

but i like the bundling, it reduces clutter

I like bundling potato skins into my hat at sizzler. It makes a delicious treat for later and my hat always smells inviting.

Seriously though WTF is going on?
26th Feb 2020, 12:56 PM #10
Kyo
🐊
an anchor is a way to mark a specific part of a page to be able to link to it.

So e.g. this is a link to this thread:

https://comicfury.com/forum/viewthread.php?id=40629

this is a link to your specific post in this thread:

https://comicfury.com/forum/viewthread.php?id=40629#p940453

the last bit after the # actually just tells your browser where to jump once the page has loaded, it doesn't even get sent to the server at all. and an anchor would be the HTML element to let the browser know where exactly on the page #p940453 (in this case) is, which would be the HTML tag with the id "p940453"
26th Feb 2020, 2:39 PM #11
Sounds like the title of this thread is nothing more than clickbait :). How come you've only gotten round to adding all these new features (multiple levels of adult content guidance, dark skin option, mobile version etc) in the last few months when the site's existed for nearly 12 years, though?

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
26th Feb 2020, 2:57 PM #12
Kyo
🐊
well, up until a year ago nearly all my dev time was being sucked up by a seemingly neverending site backend recode (and to be honest that went on a bit past the point of the recode being done as well, since after that I had to do all the cleanup that I couldn't do until it was done). Now that all the backend is sufficiently untangled, I've been able to focus on more visible changes. I also have more free time than usual right now (until april) so I'm just trying to plow through as many big changes as I can while I have the time to do so, since smaller stuff is easier to work on on the side, compared to bigger feature additions like (checks thread title) uh... comment anchors?
26th Feb 2020, 3:46 PM #13
🏋️‍🎨𝕽𝖊𝖓𝖆𝖎𝖘𝖘𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖊 𝕸𝖆𝖓 💅🏂
the site also went through some redesigns since the beginning, but this isn't exactly the same thing as adding features.

anyway, I know I said we need more silly N&A threads, but this is clickbaity as heck >:(

*checks language options* so many languages!!! this almost makes me want to learn Ojibwa or something just to make a short comic that actually uses this setting, haha.

also, Volapük shows as Volap_k in the dropdown, probably because it doesn't recognize unusual characters. if so, how about replacing it with Volapuk, accuracy be damned? edit, some hours later: nevermind, it shows up correctly now.

gonna add those anchors soon, too.
26th Feb 2020, 3:47 PM #14
Thanks, Kyo. It fixed a bug on my site regarding replies and comments.
26th Feb 2020, 4:07 PM #15
Botanist
i havent tried this code yet but i give it five/five stars. speedy delivery. cant wait to use it.
26th Feb 2020, 5:45 PM #16
Nice! It works perfectly for me!

Now, time to sit and wait for my imaginary dollars to roll on my bank account *u*
27th Feb 2020, 2:07 AM #17
this code works perfectly! thanks kyo! just one problem, my money seems to have siphoned out into an offshore account?
27th Feb 2020, 6:40 AM #18
Kyo
🐊
don't worry about that, this new feature has built in tax-evasion functionality
10th Mar 2020, 7:59 AM #19
Blimpmaster
Instructions unclear, I got my dick caught in my comment section

No, seriously though, I couldn't get it to work until I added the comment anchor code to [l:comments] on "Comic Page" as well. My layout is based on Caffeine Addict, so I think that one needs to be treated like the Desire layout (I do desire some caffeine, after all).
10th Mar 2020, 8:03 AM #20
Kyo
🐊
I'll edit the OP to make the instructions a bit more clear, by "also find:", I meant while still on the comic page tab.