Forum > General discussion > So, Coronavirus
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
10 days ago, 5:06 PM #241
What a sucker
Last night, I had a thought that worries me, what about the pet shops? Tell me that there's people people taking care of the animals.
10 days ago, 5:11 PM #242
I gotta stop by a pet shop on my way home for my roommates cat. It’s technically retail, I think, so they’re probably still open? I’ll let you know if they’re shut. The governor only ordered the closure of bars and restaurants here as I currently understand it.

I don’t work with the public so I should be safe enough..
10 days ago, 5:36 PM #243
Unapologetically Enthusiastic
My boyfriend's sister works for Petsmart, and she's told me that stores like hers are classified as Essential, and thus are unlikely to close. If anything they'll get reduced hours, maybe, but pet care is considered essential, at least here in the US.
10 days ago, 5:50 PM #244
Some shelters have taken a turn for the worse though. From what I've heard at least.

---
10 days ago, 6:41 PM #245
rivaling gator
As far as I understand it only non-essential things like bars are closing. Anyplace that sells food and supplies for people or animals is "essential service" and so is staying open. My vets is still open (sortof) and they said they'd set back six cans of the prescription food my cat needs when it comes in.

Several zoos that have closed to the public are doing things like taking the more tame animals on a tour of the facilities to look at the other animals. And filming it to show people stuck at home. Animals can't get corvid so they are safe, I'd be more concerned about things like shelters that euthanize having to put down all their animals because they can't handle them all.
10 days ago, 7:32 PM #246
What a sucker
I only brought up the pet shops because I thought the shelters would be safer, but the idea of more animals dying in shelters because of the virus is not a happy thought.

Knew about the zoos, though. Penguins touring an aquarium IS a happy thought.
10 days ago, 8:24 PM #247
For some reason the British government have also decided to cancel all qualification exams this year, claiming that "alternate methods" will be used to determine grades.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
10 days ago, 9:14 PM #248
So I posted here a couple of days ago, and I may have gone a little overboard and lashed out irrationally. The truth of the matter is that I am scared out of my wits myself. I am still very much concerned about these shutdowns lasting longer than two weeks, and the economy is completely fucked. I've been trying to rebuild my life since I had a mental breakdown a few years back, and this has really been putting a crimp in that. I am also concerned for my dad. He's 87 years old and living in a VA home right now. I've been going to see him at least twice a week since he first got put in, but I've only been able to talk to him over the phone since this COVID scare got started. The truth is that I've been feeling like I'm ready to go over the edge again, and all of the hysteria is bringing my closer to it.

That said, I feel like the best thing to do is to prepare for the worst, whatever that may be. I've been building up my Vitamin C intake lately, and I have been preparing myself for the worst case scenario in case the whole system bottoms out. The only thing I wanted to point out the other day was this: don't expect the government or anyone else to be the magic pill that will come and save everything. Only you (whoever you are) can save yourself.

Purchase Drannik & Lizzep and other comics here.
10 days ago, 9:30 PM #249
RJDG14:For some reason the British government have also decided to cancel all qualification exams this year, claiming that "alternate methods" will be used to determine grades.

Unless they mean they move GSCEs/A Levels to online exams or coursework I have no idea how they're going to do this, and I've worked in exams for nine years. The professional body I currently work for just confirmed they won't be running anything in exam centres, although I'd guessed as much already. They'll either try to run them online, postpone them or cancel them. So I'm either going to be super busy next month or have nothing to do!
9 days ago, 3:44 PM #250
My dad is having to cancel (rebook the ferries for) our week long trip to my grandad in Northern Ireland, who is 92 and in relatively poor health (he probably has a 1/4 chance of dying). I probably have about a 1/200 chance of needing hospital treatment and about a 1/1000 chance of dying, while my parents probably have nearer a 1/100 chance of dying and my mum's parents (my grandparents in Bath, UK) probably have about a 1/30 chance of dying if they caught the disease (they're in their mid-late 70s but in good health).

9 days ago, 4:21 PM #251
So, I was able to draw this. Everyone, please wash your hands.
9 days ago, 4:34 PM #252
paid to be there and look good
Soap is actually a lot better at destroying viruses than disinfectant (which is better at killing bacteria).

Viruses are basically just a bunch of RNA contained inside a skin made out of fat, which gets dissolved by the soap.

Rubbing alcohols will absolutely destroy all the bacteria in your hand but it's only partially effective against viruses, so always make sure you soap your hands or, at very least, use disinfectants that also dissolves fats.
9 days ago, 6:58 PM #253
I can explain
Alcohols are not universally great at destroying viruses, but at high levels they're good enough against coronavirus. I believe the CDC is recommending at least 60% alcohol content to kill coronavirus, and levels up to 95% have been needed for some viruses like hepatitis and norovirus.

Also not all viruses have lipid layers, and some are DNA instead of RNA. For instance, the adenovirus (one of the "common colds") is a nonenveloped DNA virus, and is trivially destroyed by alcohols. You're correct as far as coronavirus goes, but it's not universally true of all viruses.

I have been employing a mix of sanitation methods. If you wash your hands too often, you get dry skin - which can, ironically, open you to infection. And you may need to sanitize when away from running water, such as in your car. So I've been washing my hands before eating and after evacuating, and using hand sanitizer elsewhere. I've found a spray bottle of isopropyl-based sanitizer very handy for disinfecting objects.
9 days ago, 7:53 PM #254
goes fast
They shut down all the restaurants/pubs and stuff like that in the UK now. So me and my friends have cancelled our lunch, but I still have to go into town on Sunday to pick up my new glasses. I'm still planning on going to Scropton, although I've decided to drop a day and only go on Saturdays and I'll be leaving at 12 instead of 2:30. With my lunch cancelled, I'm gonna see if I can pay for a riding lesson to help them out a bit. I don't need a leader while riding, so it should be okay.
9 days ago, 8:47 PM #255
Takeaways are exempted from the opening ban, though. I believe that this includes allowing people to enter a coffee shop or fast food premises as long as the seating area is gated off and they are buying food to eat off the premises.

Merged Doublepost:

GMan003:Alcohols are not universally great at destroying viruses, but at high levels they're good enough against coronavirus. I believe the CDC is recommending at least 60% alcohol content to kill coronavirus, and levels up to 95% have been needed for some viruses like hepatitis and norovirus.

Also not all viruses have lipid layers, and some are DNA instead of RNA. For instance, the adenovirus (one of the "common colds") is a nonenveloped DNA virus, and is trivially destroyed by alcohols. You're correct as far as coronavirus goes, but it's not universally true of all viruses.

I have been employing a mix of sanitation methods. If you wash your hands too often, you get dry skin - which can, ironically, open you to infection. And you may need to sanitize when away from running water, such as in your car. So I've been washing my hands before eating and after evacuating, and using hand sanitizer elsewhere. I've found a spray bottle of isopropyl-based sanitizer very handy for disinfecting objects.

I've been getting pretty drunk a lot of this week, and ever since I began drinking regularly in 2017 I haven't had any major colds... Not that getting drunk on a regular basis is good, either.

9 days ago, 8:55 PM #256

Hope this lame joke brightens the mood for somebody
9 days ago, 10:29 PM #257
Digital Metalworker
I went grocery shopping today and found everything I was looking for. I had no idea that could feel so good.
8 days ago, 3:03 AM #258
Just a thought or two: if this is the new normal, maybe the city as we know it is obsolete and society should decentralise. In Britain the High (Main) Street has been in decline for years as stores can't compete with big malls and Amazon, so perhaps it's time for retailers to replace big stores with mini-supermarkets (quitegoodmarkets?) in suburbia instead.
Storm Over Whoomera (NSFW, nudity) Comic Fury | Renderosity (first page)
Created by Ed Kline, co-writer Lee M
8 days ago, 3:18 AM #259
I can explain
Cities have survived ten thousand years of social evolution, including far worse plagues than this one, and far larger social upheavals. I think the system is stable. It's just too efficient to have "everything" in one place, and that's about more than just retail.
8 days ago, 7:06 AM #260
and the Sorcerer's Stone
Bizzaro-world news:
Coronavirus: France's homeless 'fined for not staying indoors' during COVID-19 lockdown

Merged Doublepost:

Sikyanakotik:I went grocery shopping today and found everything I was looking for. I had no idea that could feel so good.

I found the toilet paper rack full yesterday. And everything else was in its place as usual.
Those who buy stuff by ton now have stocks and no reason to come back at the supermarket for a long time.