Forum > News & Announcements > New Feature: webcomic profile recommendation thingy
Pages: 1 2
"New Feature: webcomic profile recommendation thingy", 3rd Mar 2020, 9:26 PM #1
Kyo
🐊
yeah yeah yeah, I know, I know, too many announcements

you're gonna like this one though, it's a lot of fun, plus it's free promotion for your webcomic!! probably!! maybe!!

So, our frequently hibernating moderator for life, matthewja, and I butted our heads together to come up with an algorithm that generates "you might also like" type of recommendations for the webcomic profile page, based on what webcomics your subscribers are also subscribed to. It needs a certain amount of subs to be able to generate useful data, so it won't show up on all webcomic profiles, but once you have about 10 subs you should be starting to have at least some recommendations at the bottom of your webcomic profile!

Webcomic authors can also specify what flags they want to allow on their webcomic recommendations, and you can also block individual webcomics. The whole thing also will respect your frontpage settings, so it won't recommend anything (to you) that's filtered by those. Oh and the algorithm does also recommend inactive comics, but is biased towards active comics, so in order for inactive comics to show up, they have to have a stronger correlation than usual.

Try it out, check out the webcomic profiles of some of your favorites, you'll be sure to find some new stuff to read. Probably. No refunds though (but let me know if you run into any issues anyway)

e: also if you're american, remember to vote!
3rd Mar 2020, 9:30 PM #2
What a sucker
My sole produced comic with 10+ subs has its recommendations updated! Thanks for the update!
3rd Mar 2020, 9:37 PM #3
This sounds like a great feature - if I'm understanding correctly what it does! Thanks for setting it up!
3rd Mar 2020, 9:39 PM #4
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
that's a great feature! it also adds a lot of extra space at the bottom of the profile page, so that's another thing I'll have to get used to, haha. (I mean, you could always turn it into a slideshow, but it wouldn't have the same effect)

are common subscribers the only parameter used by this thing, though? what about genre? that would be pretty meaningful if you ask me.
3rd Mar 2020, 9:40 PM #5
Kyo
🐊
MattSchofield:This sounds like a great feature - if I'm understanding correctly what it does! Thanks for setting it up!

to put it a bit more plainly - it tries to find similar webcomics to recommend. But since similarity is hard to measure it does the next best thing, and looks for the webcomics that share the highest amount of subscribers with one another (it's a bit more complicated than that, but this is essentially how it works)

It doesn't look at genre or anything like that, I'd say that's something that'd be better covered by the still planned tag system (we did consider doing that though, and may still try and make more sophisticated algorithms, that's more matts wheelhouse though)
3rd Mar 2020, 9:41 PM #6
Venture Capitalist
This is fascinating seeing β€œwhere” my audience is... I’m damn glad for my work to be recommended to those few audiences!

Huge thumbs up, Kyo and Matt!

Edit: this is a good response to the erosion of the β€œPopular” pages as viable mechanisms to discover new reads.
3rd Mar 2020, 10:22 PM #7
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Change is scary
3rd Mar 2020, 10:40 PM #8
Lovely idea Kyo!!! Thank you!

3rd Mar 2020, 11:37 PM #9
Checked it right now and now I'm fearing my subs list is going to double in size lol

Thanks matthewja and Kyo!
3rd Mar 2020, 11:45 PM #10
Wait, dose this suggest other webcomics to me based of my readers

or

other webcomics for my readers based of what they read?
3rd Mar 2020, 11:48 PM #11
Kyo
🐊
it suggests other webcomics on webcomic profiles in general, based on the readers of that webcomic. The base results are the same for everyone (so it's not individual to users, but to webcomics), although they are filtered by your frontpage settings
3rd Mar 2020, 11:51 PM #12
Thanks. This sounds like it can really help.
4th Mar 2020, 1:07 AM #13
I just saw this today. It's a neat little feature.

Thanks, Kyo!
4th Mar 2020, 1:25 AM #14
This is really neat, thanks Kyo!

It is pretty interesting how much erotica is in my comic's recommends XD
4th Mar 2020, 1:55 AM #15
Neato! Sadly, I am a wee bit short of subs in order to return the exposure favor (ah, the curse of having a niche comic and weird update schedule), but I do love this helps me go hunting for new reads. I've been digging through some of the suggestions on my faves (though I did notice a trend that a lot of the suggestions being given I'm already subbed to, so I'm gonna have to dig a wee bit deeper than normal).
4th Mar 2020, 3:26 AM #16
I mean, looking at a couple comics with less than 10 subs, it seems as though it does activate, just with fewer recs.

I wonder how many other people's recommendations lists I'm on...
4th Mar 2020, 6:52 AM #17
not the one who meowed (?)
snuffysam:I wonder how many other people's recommendations lists I'm on...

I've seen yours recommended in at least 3 profiles, so far (mine, sunstrike & Bluemist, and MK's Jekyll and Hyde)

I like how it shows some comics that haven't updated in years so people can find old gems (but the algorithm preferring active comics is understandable)

I've been playing a game where I'd think of a comic and go clicking around through the recommendations until I find the comic I'm thinking of, but if you click on a comic with an animal character as the avatar, you'll get lost in animal/pokemon comics and have to find your way out, somehow XD Same if you click on the profile of a 18+ comic, you get lost in a forest of spicey comics.

Additional observations (probably stating the obvious):
4th Mar 2020, 7:11 AM #18
Yeah, I think shared subscribers is the biggest factor in determining recommendations - if comic A shares 1 subscriber with comic B, but comic A shares 20 subscribers with comic C, C will be the one recommended on A's page (though things like not being updated in a while will drag comics down, I imagine).

It is curious that, say, Helsirvente isn't showing up anywhere - even in my expanded view of 50 recommendations from Super Galaxy Knights, I don't see it anywhere, and Helsirvente's recs don't seem to lead back to it (for SGKDR at least, most of my comic's recommendations also have a recommendation for me). Like, Helsirvente is likely not the top related comic for its top related comic.

That's odd, but I suppose comics like that must just have a really diverse subscriber base, like you said. Or maybe most of Helsirvente's subscribers just don't subscribe to anything else, period?

Pretty interesting!
4th Mar 2020, 7:40 AM #19
Botanist
Is there a way to make it its own page? like if i made a new page and added a tag [comicrecs] and they'd all show up there?
4th Mar 2020, 11:26 AM #20
Birb is the Worb
This is a really awesome new feature and I love it :D Thanks Kyo.

I'm just wondering now if there would be a way to filter out crossover exchange sites. Since they're not so much the kind of thing people will suddenly decide to read.
Forum > News & Announcements > New Feature: webcomic profile recommendation thingy
Pages: 1 2