Forum > News & Announcements > New Feature: webcomic profile recommendation thingy
Pages: 1 2
4th Mar 2020, 11:31 AM #21
Kyo
🐊
NiaNook:
But interestingly, that's not always the case, because I've also found a lot of lower-sub-count comics being recommended. Oftentimes these are comics from people who are still very active in the forums, so I suppose that community-closeness creates common subscriber groups.

the algorithm will somewhat factor in overall popularity and counterweight it, so that recommendations aren't always just a subset of the most subscribed webcomics, and smaller webcomics also have a chance to pop up. So if you e.g. have two webcomics with whom you both share the same number of subs, the one with a lower total sub count will always appear higher in the results

Some recommendations seemed very different from the related comic, so the comic probably only has, like, 2 common subscribers who coincidentally like a very different comic. If comicfury wasn't a smaller site, I'm sure the recommends would be a lot more precise, but variety is a good spice.

yeah this can happen, especially if you don't have that many subs yet, but there is also a cutoff point where if your commonality is based on little enough data, it just doesn't display the match. I did this mostly to stop inappropriate comics from randomly showing up on webcomics where it would not be so appropriate. Although sometimes I also double checked outliers where i assumed this'd be happening and then it turns out to be based on 14 common subs somehow.

There's also some relatively popular comics I actually couldn't find anywhere. Helsirvente being one of them! Is there, like, a threshhold where a comic is relatively popular, but the subs come from so many diverse places that it never shows up in any recommends??

yeah this can definitely happen if your subs have less in common than usual. I just checked helsirvente in the database, it does show up in the generated recommendations for a bunch of comics, but all the ones where its score was the highest just happened to have too many higher scoring comics for it to show up (without people exercising their frontpage filters anyway - that's the whole reason it generates more results than it shows, so there's something left to show once people start applying those filters)

JammyTheBirb:This is a really awesome new feature and I love it :D Thanks Kyo.

I'm just wondering now if there would be a way to filter out crossover exchange sites. Since they're not so much the kind of thing people will suddenly decide to read.

well i mean, you can block specific comics (both in your frontpage settings and in the recommendations for your own webcomics specifically)

killersteak:Is there a way to make it its own page? like if i made a new page and added a tag [comicrecs] and they'd all show up there?

that's a cool idea, I could probably add a loop for it, but I'd have to do some cache magic to make sure it doesn't show any broken webcomic avatars
4th Mar 2020, 11:55 AM #22
Birb is the Worb
That's true. I don't want to block the exchange sites from appearing on the front page, but if there's a way to block them from my recommendations I'll have a go at that.
4th Mar 2020, 12:12 PM #23
Kyo
🐊
on the recommendations of any webcomic you're author of, at the bottom right you'll find a link titled "Manage Recommendations", where you can configure the flags and also block comics from your recommendations. this won't affect the front page
4th Mar 2020, 1:06 PM #24
Kyo:once you have about 10 subs you should be starting to have at least some recommendations at the bottom of your webcomic profile!

Me with 9 subscribers:
4th Mar 2020, 1:07 PM #25
Kyo
🐊
well the good news is that 9 is about 10
4th Mar 2020, 2:58 PM #26
🏋️‍🎨𝕽𝖊𝖓𝖆𝖎𝖘𝖘𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖊 𝕸𝖆𝖓 💅🏂
I can confirm I've been having a lot of fun trying to find comics I already read on random profiles. and I even found more stuff to read! woohoo!

nitpick of the day: I know you want to make it stand out, but this whole recommendation box's background color is almost the same as the site background (on light mode). it looks like someone cut a rectangle in the gray area and tried to hide the now-empty space with avatars. something lighter than the gray area, but darker than the current color might be the answer?
4th Mar 2020, 6:28 PM #27
rivaling gator
Oh this is nice! I have 31 subscribers and my recs list is full. Very cool, thanx Kyo and Matt!
4th Mar 2020, 9:27 PM #28
Hells yeah! I love it! I was just thinking how it's basically impossible for people to find a comic once it's been finished and this is great way to get exposure for those and related works!
5th Mar 2020, 10:46 PM #29
Hm...any way to add a "this author recommends..." area? Where you can rec things that aren't automatically on your list?

Only other way I see is to block others so the one you want will show, but that just seems mean :(
6th Mar 2020, 5:15 PM #30
Great idea :D I haven't noticed a sudden increase of subscribers, personally, but I still do enjoy the whole "getting a peek at what other stuff my subscribers are reading" bit.

(Spoilers, it's mostly BL stuff. And not a single soul was surprised that day x,D)
6th Mar 2020, 9:52 PM #31
Lmao I'm doomed to forever be related to secret santa XD

Love this though!!! Thanks for implementing it
7th Mar 2020, 9:38 AM #32
ohhh what a fun new feature! I dont have 10 subscribers yet, but I'm excited to see what pops up there when I do :^D
11th Mar 2020, 5:35 AM #33
Late to the party, but awesome feature!! Kyo is just too good
13th Mar 2020, 4:51 AM #34
Powerhouse
I approve what our reptilian overlord has offered us! ( seriously thank you.)
14th Mar 2020, 8:45 PM #35
Ohhhh collaborative filtering!! I was literally just thinking "man this would be nice to have" and there it is lol. What strategy are you using? Jaccard similarity on users?
"Please guys, it can be useful for my webcomic!", 15th Mar 2020, 6:18 PM #36
<<no self promotion>>
6 days ago, 2:44 AM #37
Is this an opportune time to beg for more subscribers?