Forum > Community Projects & Art Trades > Weekly Newsletter Looking to Feature Independent Creators!
Pages: 1 2
"Weekly Newsletter Looking to Feature Webcomic Creators!", 10th Mar 2020, 3:54 PM #1
Hi, all!

Instead of plugging my comic, I want to give you all a chance to plug your own comics and creations!

As a small creator, you ever feel like you're being ignored because you're not working for a mainstream company? Ever feel like there's no space on the internet to talk about your work aside from posting links in forums and social media? Ever feel like people don't take webcomics in general seriously?

I've grown increasingly fed up of the "post to social media and forums and hope the right people notice/retweet/reblog" business model and I'm looking to change things up. Right now, I'm working to put together a newsletter and blog site called "Ink, Sweat and Tears" which will be dedicated to giving small creators the type of spotlight they deserve. I'm going to be launching in two weeks or so and I'm looking to feature at least 3 creators per week.

My goal is to be able to spread more awareness about small, independent creators, make them feel special and give them the chance to feel like they have a space to talk about their projects.

So what do I need from you? First of all, it costs nothing to be featured. I don't believe in pay-to-play. If you'd like to be interviewed, there's a sign-up sheet here. I'll get back to you ASAP and we'll work together to conjure up an interview/article that's all about you!

In terms of content, I don't have a lot of restrictions. I'm not going to be picking and choosing who's work I like best so don't feel like you won't be "good enough" to make the cut. I'm literally going to feature anyone and everyone who responds. I just ask that your work not contain hate speech or glorifies graphic sexual violence. All genres are welcome and all skill and age levels are welcome.

Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from some wonderful creators soon!
-Indira
12th Mar 2020, 2:26 AM #2
Venture Capitalist
Bump--because this deserves some responses

(prolly needs to go to "community projects" tbh)
12th Mar 2020, 2:57 AM #3
Wow this sounds great! I hope that this project becomes a success!

12th Mar 2020, 3:55 AM #4
Seems really interesting and great to help creators! I don't have any actual comics up yet but maybe in the future I'll submit something.
12th Mar 2020, 12:36 PM #5
KAM

I'm KAM of The KAMics http://thekamics.thecomicseries.com/, I wanted to create comics in the worst way possible and at last I've succeeded.

Wait, that didn't sound right.

For years the only comics I did were printed in my club newsletter so the first 289 comics in my webcomic tend to revolve around rockhounding. When I discovered webcomics I would occasionally do fanart and in 2004 Kate Ashwin of Darken suggested I do a webcomic and my jokes expanded beyond rockhounding (although I still include new cartoons I do for my club newsletter).

Does that sound good or would you like more or less?
12th Mar 2020, 8:35 PM #6
This sounds nice!

And perfect for people like me who are not comfortable advertising on social media. I'm still way too new for this, but I would love to see who are you featuring on your blog soon!
19th Mar 2020, 8:14 AM #7
I'd be interested in this. I create the comic Almighty Protectors. I'm Ave (short for Avalynn, if you want to know how to pronounce it--basically Ava without that second A) Messer, a 35 year old (well, depending on when you put the information up, that can change--my birthday is on August 21st, if it's needed to change that number) trans woman from Redding, CA. I've always had a passion for writing and originally only was looking to pursue a path in writing novels and short stories. However, I had created some superhero characters when I was in 4th grade which wouldn't leave my head. As I developed them over the years (into entirely different characters with maybe the same names now), I realized I'd eventually want to put them down into comics. My draw had never been to art, so I shelved things, never being able to find an artist, until I honed my skills in a different superhero webcomic to where I felt I might actually be able to do my primary characters justice somewhat.

I actually had to stop myself. That's already a good amount of information, and I could have gone on and on. Once you get me started, it's hard to stop me from talking/typing.
20th Mar 2020, 3:13 AM #8
Oh snap. I was wondering where my thread went and didn't realize that it had been moved. CF really needs a better way for people to keep track of their threads.

THAT BEING SAID, I made a sign-up sheet here for those who are interested. There's a good 20+ people so far so it might take a bit over a week for me to get back to you but I promise you I will respond! No one will be left out :)
20th Mar 2020, 3:29 AM #9
Oooh this seems neat. Signing up!
20th Mar 2020, 3:45 AM #10
Venture Capitalist
There ain’t nothin’ comics creators like talking about more than their own projects! But that’s a pretty universal human trait. That’s why it’s always puzzled me when folks don’t respond to comments. Anyway, glad to sign up and looking forward to this!
20th Mar 2020, 4:05 AM #11
What a sucker
If you ever find yourself scraping the bottom of the barrel for content, I'm here for you.

I currently have two comics, LECTRO and Pine Hill Creature Feature.

LECTRO is a nearly two-year-old brainchild of over half a decade of planning, about a kid with lightning powers and little social skills, who is recruited to fight crime in an attempt to help him adjust to living in a big city.

Pine Hill Creature Feature is about an idiot and her friends, as they fight the monsters that lurk in their town. It's pretty new, having started last New Year's Eve, so not a whole lot has happened in-story, but the plans for it have seeds older than even LECTRO.
20th Mar 2020, 3:36 PM #12
lirvilas:There ain’t nothin’ comics creators like talking about than their own projects! But that’s a pretty universal human trait. That’s why it’s always puzzled me when folks don’t respond to comments. Anyway, glad to sign up and looking forward to this!

This is absolute truth! It's great to be able to give creators a chance to talk about their work and I'm enjoying reading through people's responses.
20th Mar 2020, 7:21 PM #13
the only safe place is the top shelf
....aaaand I signed up! :-)
Two weeks ago, 5:51 PM #14
Here's a recap for week 1! http://www.inksweatandtears.com/ink-sweat-and-tears-week-1-recap/

The sheer amount of creators who have signed up just goes to show how much a service like Ink, Sweat and Tears is needed. Hopefully, we can all work together to build a stronger webcomic community :)
Two weeks ago, 6:40 PM #15
Thanks for the feature!
Least one good thing happened this month.
Two weeks ago, 6:58 PM #16
Alley Dweller
I've signed up, love the idea.
Two weeks ago, 7:12 PM #17
TheStrangerous:Thanks for the feature!
Least one good thing happened this month.

Glad to be of assistance!

If you want to sign up with your other comic, you can join the list here :)
13 days ago, 12:06 AM #18
Okay! I just submitted my form! I hope I put what I had to say about myself and my comic in the correct places.

13 days ago, 3:30 PM #19
Dan with a Plan:Okay! I just submitted my form! I hope I put what I had to say about myself and my comic in the correct places.

Yep, everything looks fine :)
13 days ago, 5:56 PM #20
Signed up! This sounds awesome ^-^