Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > been at this too long ers
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
"been at this too long ers", 12th Mar 2020, 9:24 PM #1
***click here to see most recent question post***

So I'm looking at the calendar today like why does this date feel significant, then reamembered that I uploaded my first page of this comic on this date 11 years ago.

It's weird to think how much the webcomic landscape has changed in that time. I had joined a site that had a decent but not raging amount of activity, which steadily began to die off in the ensuing years, then I moved to Old SmackJeeves, which had a deccent but not raging amount of activity, and began to steadily die off in the ensuing years.

I apologize in advance as I've recenlty joined here, which has a decent but not raging amount of activity, and I've been the common denominator in the other two circumstances.

Any others of you been at this a long-ass time? Any 5 or 10 + year people? (alright I'll extend to some of you four-ies too, but don't get used to it)

Every day I'm going to come in this thread and ask you a question and you can respond to it or you can not respond to it you know it's like your choice and shit

I'm calling all of us "BATTLERs" which stands for been-at-this-too-long-ers. Sounds cool huh!!!

Sup Battlers Question #1- What was something that was a major concern or issue for you with the creation or comic process years ago when you started, but now it isn't anymore? What changed?

For me, I had to divorce myself from this idea that using certain media was "wasteful." I didn't want to use markers because I was afraid the marker would run out (the idea of getting a new marker to replace an old one was foreign to me as my markers were all old things that came from sets people had given me as a child). A friend gave me her prismacolors when she updated to copics and having a huge set to choose from helped me break out of that mindset.

I also took a while to come around on the concept of sketching and inking. It seemed, again, "wasteful," in terms of wasting time mostly. Why ink when I can just draw it right the first time??? I forget what prompted me to come around on this, but thank god I did

I was also more "fame" obsessed at the beginning- like part of my mind knew I was never going to "make it big," but I aspired to have some degree of internet fame. In the earlier interim years I wanted to make money off the comic and remember feeling jealous of artists who made a lot of money via ads and such. These days I consider it a successful time if I have a handful of regular readers, some of whom comment regularly.

Asked questions:
12th Mar 2020, 9:31 PM #2
πŸŽ€Official CF Wine TesterπŸŽ€
Mine is over 8 years old. I've never had success.
12th Mar 2020, 9:42 PM #3
mitchellbravo:

Sup Battlers Question #1- What was something that was a major concern or issue for you with the creation or comic process years ago when you started, but now it isn't anymore? What changed?

How to publish stuff?

How old am I? When I very first got into doing comics, there was no internet. Even after there was internet a few years later, there was no such thing as a webcomic. So my first years were consumed with figuring the best way to get something out there.

The comic book industry was, as it still is, a club that you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get into, and even then the chances to do something unique weren't great. So that left self-publishing. But a decent-looking comic book was expensive to produce with offset printing (the only real choice at the time.) The final choice was photocopying and making minicomics or digest / zines by yourself- make a dummy, lay everything out, go to your local Kinkos at 1 or 2 in the morning when there was no one there (excepting other bleary-eyed creators) so there was room to spread out, and making copies, copies, copies. Cut, fold, staple. Try to figure out how to afford a color cover (you couldn't, usually.)

Nowadays, anyone can publish on the web, and on-demand print shops with high-quality computer printing have brought the cost on professional-looking printing down (especially now that you can print 10 copies if you want, instead of having to order 2000.)

Now, of course, the problem is getting your work noticed in the ocean of content the internet offers.
12th Mar 2020, 9:43 PM #4
Environment Knight
HECK YEAH BB BEEN AT THIS 10+ YEARS...... MY ACHIN BACK

I really feel that whole wastefulness thing, I uh... I still feel that way, RIP. My parents are thrifty to the max and that REALLY got passed down to me, also being an environmental scientist doesn't help omg guys I could talk to you for hours about garbage
Anyways it's easier to psychologically distance myself from the waste produced by iPads and Apple Pencils, so I feel more at ease when drawing with them and don't feel so anxious about sketching, although I'm STILL USING UP ELECTRICITY AND CONTRIBUTING TO DEPLETION OF RARE METALS AND DESTRUCTION OF HABITAT UGH UGH UGH--

anyways let me answer your question

I was very very very concerned that I would not be able to fit in all the absolutely nutso insane backstories of my 10000000 characters into my comic and I was RIGHT. THANK GOD. BECAUSE THEY WERE STUPID AND DID NOT NEED TO BE IN THERE
12th Mar 2020, 9:53 PM #5
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
heh. I'm uploading 2009/10/11/etc. stuff online, but I've been regularly making comics since... 2006? and some things are even older. my first ever comic page (unless I find an even older one) was drawn in 2003, when I was a tiny kid. lemme aboard the BATTLERs ship!

anyway, to answer the question, I guess I was really bothered by my crappy choice of paper and pens back then. cleaning up those scans is a pain but that's what happens when you're too poor for ultra fancy printer paper. I don't even feel like paper has significantly improved now and I make at least one digital comic anyway but my doodles and colors somehow look better now. I did get much better pens, at least.

drawing on cardboard has always been amazing, though.
12th Mar 2020, 9:58 PM #6
KAM

15 years as a webcomic, mumble mumble years doing cartoons for my club newsletter.

Question 1.
Huh... can't really think of anything.
12th Mar 2020, 10:25 PM #7
I started posting my first webcomic back in... 1999, I believe. "Webcomic" wasn't even a commonly used term back then. But to be fair, I have not been actively comicking for the past 20+ years. There were some long breaks.

Disregarding my disaster first webcomic, I haaaave...

+5ish years posting my previous webcomic. (I'm not sure. I'll have to double check?)
1 year of posting Heart of Keol, ver 1, in Korean.
Immediately after that, began posting Heart of Keol ver 2 (the current version, i.e. a reboot) in November of 2014. So all together, I guess I have more than 10 years of doing webcomics.

I didn't have a lot of concerns back when I started. I certainly have a lot more now. But I guess one thing I don't have to worry about these days is maintaining my own forum for the comic. Nobody does that anymore, for better or worse.
12th Mar 2020, 10:35 PM #8
Kyo
🐊
my webcomic? i haven't started it yet but I've been working on the site to put it for 11 years now
"I’m sissy fuss.", 13th Mar 2020, 3:42 AM #9
I’ve been pushing this boulder up the hill pretty much continuously, through three different webcomics, since 2004. All us small fries wanted to be on Keenspot back then. Who’s even heard of Keenspot nowadays?
13th Mar 2020, 4:02 AM #10
Venture Capitalist
Been on this stint of scribbling since March 2014. When I started, I saturated the shit out of my unshaded pages. Also, I was terrible at drawing anything. My progress is debatable, but getting good tools and scratching away pretty much every night since then seems to have helped.
13th Mar 2020, 6:28 AM #11
Webcomicking since 1994. First mentioned online as part of a glut of comics-on-the-web in 1996, when there were like a hundred of those things.
13th Mar 2020, 7:16 AM #12
Since 25th of October 2008, back in DA days, when it was tolerable and somehow got SOME comments here and there.

I was really into dragons at the end of 00's.
Of course on the other side, I was bandwagoning from one fandom to another, artificially boosting myself followers and feedback.
All went to hell when I've decided to quit fanarts for good.
13th Mar 2020, 7:29 AM #13
Blimpmaster
Been making my increasingly accurately titled webcomic since October 2009... definitely been at this for too long

I wasn't funny and I intentionally drew worse than I actually could because I was lazy.

Now I actually try with my art. Arguably still not funny, but hey, I make myself laugh.
13th Mar 2020, 7:48 AM #14
In April I guess I'll have been making comics for the internet for 20 years, almost continuously. Most of those comics aren't online anymore, many of them didn't last long enough to get anywhere, some of them I made with other people who disappeared during the comic, some fan comics, mostly original comics.

I've been working on my current comic since September 2010, it's a remake of my first webcomic from 20 years ago, and almost the only one I regretted never finishing. I don't think any of the series I've ever made were really that popular, or at least weren't more popular than what I'm doing now.

Making the comic file sizes really small. Back in the dialup days, you'd have to make your comics take up as little space as possible. You'd either make them inks-only, or try to have a REALLY limited amount of colors per page to make the gif or png files small. You'd want 60k-80k pages. Back then 250k-350k pages were impossible.
13th Mar 2020, 8:46 AM #15
and the Sorcerer's Stone
I made my first webcomic back in college and that was... 14 years ago. o.O

It was the first run of Synthetic Life and it was a bit weird. I'm still baffled at how this name still wasn't taken by the time it made a comeback.
I haven't been very consistent in making comics, but had one comic in-between.
It seems like my slice-of-life/teenage drama thing was more successful than this.

When I first started? Pah! I didn't have any concerns. I thought I was the best thing to ever grace the webcomic world, lol. I was extremely confident.
What changed now is that I'm way less confident about my work, I know I still have a long way to go in order to be a professional, but at the same time I know I've become much better. If I were to compare my work of then with my work now, well, yeah. Today's me crushes my 20 year-old me.
13th Mar 2020, 9:08 AM #16
I have been a web comic artist for about 6 years now, started with another comic made with poser that is no longer running. been working on my current comic blunderland for about three years and did have it up elsewhere but i have just moved to this site as a new home. been working as a cartoonist and caricaturist for about 20 years but done art all my life (and i turn 48 next week :( )

to your question...

when i first started i had my own web site, but i soon got sick of the amount of work you have to do to keep it running behind the scenes and taking you away from the art, this is why i prefer (and thankful for) site such as this that allow us to put our comics on with less hassle and giving us more creative time.
13th Mar 2020, 9:26 AM #17
KAM

Cope:Who’s even heard of Keenspot nowadays?

*Raises hand, falls off walker, breaks hip*
13th Mar 2020, 9:51 AM #18
Third of August, 2013, for the crew below (a little earlier on the Duck)... but I had 3 efforts before that, the first kicking off on 10/10/10 - a date which works in any format ! B-)
13th Mar 2020, 10:45 AM #19
not the one who meowed (?)
Hey, that is a cool name :]

Been drawing comics since... uh... sometime in the late 90's, I think. Probably 6 or 7 years old? Numbers are sketchy.

It wasn't until 2008 I actually posted any of them online! (On DeviantArt, to be exact. Even got 1 or 2 readers despite how crappy and barely legible [see sample below] they were, but DA was a bustling place, back then)

I think Matt Comics answered this for the most part. :'D I was afraid of using too many resources and crammed tiny panels onto lined paper, fearful of using my mom's precious printer paper! Not a care in the world as far as the story or "fame and fortune" part went. Drawing digitally helps. And buying my own paper, I feel less guilty using it.
13th Mar 2020, 10:53 AM #20
Tangentville is coming up on five years in a month or two.

However, I did another comic (EgresS) before that for about a year before I found out three important characters in it had near identical counterparts in a famous comic I didn't really follow. That gutted me and I never resumed work on it.

mitchellbravo:

When I first drew Tangentville, it was mostly for myself and I had no plan to share it with anyone. My friends & family were used to my pseudo-anime/superhero stuff that occupied me since middle school which I was endlessly starting and never finishing.

Tangentville was initially gag-a-day departure from all that and it started to address some social issues. The response from friends/family/coworkers was surprisingly enthusiastic. But when I got it into my head to put it online, I was terrified of how strangers would react to things like, say, a trans character or pages calling out religious hypocrisy.

Of course now, I fearlessly just write/draw what I write/draw. I have a small but fervent group of readers that followed me from the SmackJeeves implosion to here ^_^