Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > been at this too long ers
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
13 days ago, 8:13 PM #61
mitchellbravo:
Sup Battlers Question #1- What was something that was a major concern or issue for you with the creation or comic process years ago when you started, but now it isn't anymore? What changed?

Sup Battlers Question #2- Now here's the inverse to the other question.
What's gotten harder for you as the years have gone on? What maybe came easy or you had energy for it back when you started, and now that's not the case? How come?

Sup Battlers Question #3- If you got transported back in time, would you do this all again? What would you do differently, if anything? Why?

WHAT IS UP, BATTLERS, Question #4- In all your years you've been at this, what scene in your comic are you most proud of? Like if/when you go through your archive, you still feel really good about that scene? Maybe it was a funny scene that still makes you laugh, or an artistic reach you made, a dramatic page that still feels poignant. Link so we can enjoy your aptitude!

Sup Battlers Question #1
Biggest concern was the time area when I started my comic (2004) ...it was the time of home made mangas by little girls which obey to the unwritten rule that every comic which was labeled as Manga had to be made with the reading direction of a real manga from japan.

I didn't liked it and the printed version of Katran got even a warning at the end that the comic will be read in European reading direction.

The reception of my comic from the narrow minded "comic/manga fans" was devastating.
The "comic fans" dismissed it because it looked too manga.
The "manga fans" dismissed it because it wasn't manga enough.

Nowadays is this narrow minded behavior nearly gone. Especially on the internet are people more open minded and accept even "wild" mixes like my own stuff.

Sup Battlers Question #2
That's sadly easy to answer ...depression had hit me hard and the new job is draining all my energy and adds to the depressive mindset.

But ...maybe I get out of it. I searched finally for help.

Sup Battlers Question #3
I would have started making webcomics from the beginning and would have make merch around my stories... why?
Because trying to get successful on the printed comic market at that time was suicidal and left a huge dent in my confidence.

Oh and I would have proof on the web that my comic got copied from a (at that time) successful magaka from Japan.

Sup Battlers Question #4
I'm still very pleased by this sequence here.
katran.thecomicseries.com/comics/252
katran.thecomicseries.com/comics/253
katran.thecomicseries.com/comics/254 I laughed when I created it. And still do today.
katran.thecomicseries.com/comics/255

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
13 days ago, 9:10 PM #62
mitchellbravo:WHAT IS UP, BATTLERS, Question #4- In all your years you've been at this, what scene in your comic are you most proud of? Like if/when you go through your archive, you still feel really good about that scene? Maybe it was a funny scene that still makes you laugh, or an artistic reach you made, a dramatic page that still feels poignant. Link so we can enjoy your aptitude!

Try to pick just one okay we're all very busy here!!

I have one page I keep coming back to since I drew it in 2016. In the chapter, Happy Campers, the five characters camping together discover that they split into two... uh... "camps" about what they want out of a camping experience. In this page, the sheltered, wheelchair-bound girl finally gets to go out and experience nature with a father figure, and the man finds someone who shares his love of camping. Also, I think I painted a really pretty sunset. :-)
13 days ago, 9:18 PM #63
Venture Capitalist
Q4:

Here's a scene from five years ago that set the bar for all my other climactic scenes, with its obscured word bubbles, panicking crowds, and gunfire. Warning: violence.

Killing characters (that are loved by the audience) is a helluva drug!
12 days ago, 5:58 AM #64
KAM

Question 4
I keep showing off Gertrude & Brunhilda 48 as a good page, so let's go with that.
12 days ago, 7:30 AM #65
Blimpmaster
SUP BATTLERS!!! Question #3- If you got transported back in time, would you do this all again? What would you do differently, if anything? Why?

I would still do it again, but I'd script things out better this time, and make the first in-universe year much, much shorter and more to the point. I'd cut out jokes which aren't that good (benefit of hindsight and all that), and just tighten things up. I don't mind the comic being rambly at times, it' slice of life, but I'm kinda annoyed that the archive is SOOO full of duds, while I'm really proud of the last 3 years of comics.

WHAT IS UP, BATTLERS, Question #4- In all your years you've been at this, what scene in your comic are you most proud of? Like if/when you go through your archive, you still feel really good about that scene? Maybe it was a funny scene that still makes you laugh, or an artistic reach you made, a dramatic page that still feels poignant. Link so we can enjoy your aptitude!

I'm gonna cheat and go with a favourite chapter because I can't think of a single scene I really like. It's still a tough decision, but I'll give it to "Rivals". I feel it really begins to dig deeper into some of the worst sides of Jon's personality, and then he gets to redeem himself... in possibly the worst way. It's also the first chapter I feel Jon and Paul have a gosh heck conversation like normal human beings, and it's nice and (I think) funny.

I definitely don't like this chapter just because Jon gets punched in the face.

Link to the start of that chapter
Link to my favourite page from that chapter, if you don't wanna read the whole chapter, which is fair
12 days ago, 8:26 AM #66
not the one who meowed (?)
Question #4- In all your years you've been at this, what scene in your comic are you most proud of? Like if/when you go through your archive, you still feel really good about that scene?

Pre-reboot comic,

For what I have so far in this archive, there's a part in Book 3 where 2 of the protagonists go running into a burning building. Besides 1 or 2 hiccups with the pacing and wondering whether or not something is physically possible, that one's got dat tension, and I like how the overall pacing and natural flow of things came out TTvTT (There's so many dang parts I want to like more but have something I'm ashamed or embarrassed about in them. Blurgh)
12 days ago, 1:48 PM #67
Sup Battlers Question #4

AG C7P7

12 days ago, 6:02 PM #68
the only safe place is the top shelf
mitchellbravo:WHAT IS UP, BATTLERS, Question #4- In all your years you've been at this, what scene in your comic are you most proud of? Like if/when you go through your archive, you still feel really good about that scene? Maybe it was a funny scene that still makes you laugh, or an artistic reach you made, a dramatic page that still feels poignant. Link so we can enjoy your aptitude!

There are many to choose from, but I'll go with the earliest one that I think still holds up for the large part, namely the Atlantis storyline of Chapters 11 and 12:
The story starts with a giant pterosaur!
Appropriately moody deep sea visuals!
My best plot twist so far - Camilla: "Hello, sister!"
Camilla's backstory revealed!
...aaand the coin toss!
12 days ago, 8:14 PM #69
Dedown Battlers Question #5 - The last question I asked you about your best scene. Now I would like to know in general, which area of writing do you think you developed most strongly over the years?

I think I've just gotten better about pacing in general and just... focusing on scenes that matter and skipping ones that are pointless. When I look back at my pages that ran as the original "first chapter" which I took off of the site, it's a lot of disjointed little single-page episodes that like, aren't particularly funny, don't connect much to each other, don't add up to anything, don't built off of each other, etc, and there's not even schlongs or boobies on them to make it worthwhile. (There's still no schlongs or boobies in the comic but I try to at least include the other stuff)
12 days ago, 10:08 PM #70
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
WHAT IS UP, BATTLERS, Question #4

...damn. I think I'll have to kind of skip this question. never mind the fact that most of my awesome moments haven't been uploaded online (so far). I just can't choose one. the cow fights, the Months/aliens invasion, all those crowd scenes, everything involving the Author... I like stuff from every year, for many possible reasons. I still consider 2013 and 2014 my best years, though.

Dedown Battlers Question #5

it took me a LONG time, but I've gotten a lot better at juggling subplots, partly because I've read enough stories written by people who either forget too many loose ends or have never heard of the concept of arc fatigue. heck, after several experiments, I think I've found the ideal balance between slice of life silliness and more storyline-y stuff.

also, writing characters in general. character interactions are some of my favorite things to write. and it's amazing how many new and quirky characters I can add without having it happen at the expense of the "gen 1" OCs. character groups seem to expand pretty organically nowadays.
11 days ago, 2:36 AM #71
Sup Battlers Question 1
Back in 2004, my big problem was I couldn't focus at all, didn't think any of the stories thru completely, and couldn't finish even the first chapter of my main series, let alone the other projects. I kept putting it all off and then years later not only did I lose track of my password on Drunk Duck, I lost my old Email account when my family switched ISPs so I couldn't make a new one... Needless to say, I left the community but still read comics.

Flash forward to cyber Monday 2017, when I finally got my own laptop and I discovered YouTube. I found a lot of drawing guides and review and analysis videos on anime, movies, and entertainment in general that really helped me with everything I was missing a decade ago. Overly Sarcastic Productions "Trope Talk" video series is something I'd recommend to anyone who'd want to learn the basic story structures found in all entertainment.

Sup Battlers Question 4
For me, MBG is my best work so far, and this page stands out for me:

I want to do my best to incorporate little tricks like drawing the reader eyes to specific points where and when I want them to look, and this shows my best effort at that. I used the mage girl's dialogue to keep the reader on the right side of the page, even when they're supposed to go back to the left to continue reading, only to have her cut off by a shoe to the face that I hope someone gets caught off guard by.

11 days ago, 8:23 PM #72
mitchellbravo:Dedown Battlers Question #5 - The last question I asked you about your best scene. Now I would like to know in general, which area of writing do you think you developed most strongly over the years?

I'd say more serious character interaction that doesn't necessarily just play everything for laughs. Like this one with Babette and Tarik for example.

Also, my chapters are now longer in average, I guess due to a combination of more complex storylines (Look Ma, I can juggle an A and a B-plot now!) and at least a bit less rushing from plot point to plot point.
11 days ago, 8:36 PM #73
Hello Question #6 -Yesterday I asked you about your best writing development. What about your visual art? What specifically do you think you've improved the most at?

This is tough for me to say. I'd have to say overall probably coloring. When I started off, I didn't really understand ways other than "photorealism" of representing color- meaning like, just kind of making everything in local color. Each character had a specific color for their hair, their eyes, and their skin that i used every time I drew that character, regardless of the lighting in the scene. Grass is always green, yadda yadda. Around 2013-2014 I started to learn more about the practical application of color to evoke feelings, temperatures, mood, et cetera. I got pretty good at this (relatively) for a while, then had a bit of a backslide; I think now I'm starting to pull up again.
11 days ago, 10:14 PM #74
Question #4 - In all your years you've been at this, what scene in your comic are you most proud of? Like if/when you go through your archive, you still feel really good about that scene? Maybe it was a funny scene that still makes you laugh, or an artistic reach you made, a dramatic page that still feels poignant. Link so we can enjoy your aptitude!

This question made me reread a bunch of my comic, and I cringed much less than I was expecting :P
One of the moments I really like is this one where the villain finally begins to reveal his true colors. I feel like I nailed the execution and the dialogue. The only thing I don't like is that the main 'big reveal' panel is rather small.

Question #5 - The last question I asked you about your best scene. Now I would like to know in general, which area of writing do you think you developed most strongly over the years?

Dunno if this counts as writing, but: the amount of text I put in each panel and each speech bubble. Early on, I would sometimes cram too much into one space. That just makes readers' eyes glaze over it and skip it. Now, I make sure to keep a 'limit' of how much to put in. Making dialogue more concise is often easier than it seems!

Question #6 - Yesterday I asked you about your best writing development. What about your visual art? What specifically do you think you've improved the most at?

Rereading my comic for question #4, my earlier artwork was a lot worse than I remembered. It's not even that old; only five years (at most)! But far too often my characters end up with disproportioned bodies. That's still the case in my recent work, but much less often.
10 days ago, 12:28 AM #75
My comic, POW! Right in the Nostalgia has been going since 2014, so it's heading towards its 6th anniversary in September. Though it was a project idea before that for years I drew in sketchbooks for years before that. It wasn't until 2014 that I started to really develop a plot and the character backgrounds. And here we are today...lots of stuff has happened, lots of characters, etc, etc...

Sup Battlers Question #1- What was something that was a major concern or issue for you with the creation or comic process years ago when you started, but now it isn't anymore? What changed?

Well...I'd say just getting beyond a few pages. I've started webcomics in the past but not gotten beyond the character designing part, or I got to like around 30 or so pages with the webcomic before POW! Right in the Nostalgia. Given my comic is now over 1300 pages, I'd say I did well.

Sup Battlers Question #2- Now here's the inverse to the other question.
What's gotten harder for you as the years have gone on? What maybe came easy or you had energy for it back when you started, and now that's not the case? How come?

It's harder to find time for the comic. Especially with current events and me working retail as well as family matters.

SUP BATTLERS!!! Question #3- If you got transported back in time, would you do this all again? What would you do differently, if anything? Why?

If I got transported back in time, I'd hope I got transported back farther than when I started the comic as I feel like if I had the ideas I do now say back in the early 2000s, I'd be way further into things than I am. I have so many ideas I want to do for story arcs, but my not get to them here. Hard to say.

Well, I have a lot of scenes I'm proud of, but the one thing I always go back to is one of my Halloween story arcs from years back that parodied 80's zombie movies... The cover art in particular, with the coloring help of another artists that sadly does not post on here anymore, was made to invoke those old VHS tape box arts...

(And here's the start of the story arc if curious...)
The Return of the Night of the Living Dead

Dedown Battlers Question #5 - The last question I asked you about your best scene. Now I would like to know in general, which area of writing do you think you developed most strongly over the years?

I'd say character development. Like using the character of Allison as an example... She was originally brought it as the bratty younger sister to my main character that seemed to be just...unlikable. I had people tell me they did not like her, and yet a few story arcs that focused on her changed their opinions as I showed Allison going from spoiled rich girl, to an actual person that actually had feelings and insecurities when she was suddenly dropped in the "real world" by having a job and stuff.
She became one of my favorite characters to write for (even have another upcoming story arc involving her coming up soon.)

Hello Question #6 -Yesterday I asked you about your best writing development. What about your visual art? What specifically do you think you've improved the most at?

I'd like to think just drawing people overall has improved quite a lot. Like looking back at how I drew characters from year to year. Just everyone looks way better.
They say your art improves with time, and I believe it looking at my 2014 stuff versus my 2020.

10 days ago, 12:52 AM #76
mitchellbravo:

Battlers Question #5
I think I improved in the interaction between characters.
Guiding the reader through speech-bubbles and positioning of the characters.

Battlers Question #6
Oh that's simple. Backgrounds.
At the beginning my backgrounds where just placeholder to give that scenery a space to be.
But nowadays I use them to tell the story... or better said to aid the story.

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
10 days ago, 2:01 AM #77
mitchellbravo:Dedown Battlers Question #5 - The last question I asked you about your best scene. Now I would like to know in general, which area of writing do you think you developed most strongly over the years?

Writing actual stories, with beginnings, middles, and endings.

Before working on comics, I wrote many scenes, but not many stories. Now, I figure out where I want a story to go -- especially how I want it to end -- before I get too involved in writing individual scenes for it.

mitchellbravo:Hello Question #6 -Yesterday I asked you about your best writing development. What about your visual art? What specifically do you think you've improved the most at?

Color and layout.

Deer Me started as a B&W comic strip with tiny boxes. As a child and teenager, I used color pencils for my art, and a lot of that work was, to be honest, rather muddy. As a teenager, I started to switch to B&W ink, sometimes still using color pencils or markers for color, but I mostly worked in B&W.

While I have always had a good eye for greyscale balance, my sense of hues left much to be desired. I probably still have a lot to learn about color theory, but I feel I have made dramatic improvements in color over the years.

Also, my layouts never were great. Even stand-alone images are often poorly laid out, with characters' heads right at the top of the page, and characters spaced otherwise awkwardly throughout the page. I feel that has also improved greatly over the years.

Though huzzah for digital art. If I start the placement of the characters on the page badly, I can just move the characters. I certainly could not do that with physical media! :-)
10 days ago, 5:53 AM #78
Question #5 - It's easier for me to talk about how the writing in my comic got better, than it is to talk about how my writing skills overall have improved. Part of it is because I've been writing this one comic since the summer of 2013. I know why the first version got scrapped. I know how the writing in more recent chapters outshine the earlier ones. All of that is improvement. But how much of that is "keiiii got better as a writer, period" vs "keiiii has finally figured out what they want to do with THIS story"? That's hard to tell. Maybe the two go hand in hand in this kinda situations...

Haven't picked a page for #4. I may come back to it at a later time. :)
10 days ago, 10:15 AM #79
not the one who meowed (?)

That's a tough one. Maybe the knowledge to slow down+ build up for an emotional scene so that it doesn't just suddenly happen too quickly. :P (then everyone just looks like a drama queen who cries over nothing)

Besides just general "drawing get better as artist get older", Bubble and box placement. Some early comics, I was pretty bad at arranging panels in a way that readers knew which one to look at next. It's instinctual, now.
10 days ago, 5:36 PM #80
mitchellbravo:Hello Question #6 -Yesterday I asked you about your best writing development. What about your visual art? What specifically do you think you've improved the most at?

Body proportions!
The first thing that catches my eye when I look at my earlier pages are those huge heads, those tiny hands, those thin bodies and limbs, necks joining the shoulder area rather too far to the side...
(I acknowledge that there is certainly a lot more I still need to learn about human anatomy, which is always listed as suggestion to improve your drawing. But relatively speaking, if you compare my present to my past efforts...)