Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > been at this too long ers
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
11 days ago, 9:42 PM #81
I'm still doing this #7- I don't know about you, but I have a favorite character. But my favorite has changed over the years since the comic started. How about you? Who's your favorite of your cast? Why? Has that changed over time?

My favorite of my own characters has been Joseph for the past few years. He's always been kind of the "central" character to the story, as without him, the friend group would never have coalesced, but the past few years I feel like I've developed him more fully and I'm super excited for the shit that is goign to happen to/because of him his future plot lines! Plus he's just too cute, I mean look at him *gestures to avatar* *looks around awkwardly* *gestures to sig banner*

But in the first 2-3 years, my favorite was Eddie. Don't get me wrong, I still love the hell out of that rail-framed boy, but in those first few years, he was my most developed character- if not in the actual comic, then at least in my mind. Even now he's definitely the most dysfunctional of the guys. He's also a great pick if you're looking to play fucked up childhood bingo. I think another reason is I've always had a soft spot for tall, skinny guys, and his kind of fragile ~*myserious*~ nature just played into that teenage girl part of my brain that would have liked Twilight had it come out 5 years earlier.
11 days ago, 10:53 PM #82
Oooh, this is a cool thread. I wish I noticed it sooner. I've been working on WOE for almost 12 years, though it didn't really start forming the vision I wanted it to until after half of that time had passed, and some years I got very little done.
I even had a sprite comic that I worked on shortly before WOE so my webcomic career is a bit older than my dearest project. (And that's not counting comics I never posted online, and one that I posted and quickly deleted before more than a few people could've possibly seen it.)

mitchellbravo:Asked questions:

1 - That's an interesting question. I can think of things that I'm still concerned about like finding courage to advertise and share in new communities or generally finding new fans, but things concerns and issues that I no longer fear? Hmm. Well I guess a boring but big answer would be taking criticism and improving. I'm still a bit thin-skinned and scared of finding time to practice new things or change my methods too much but I now value critique and improvement more. I remember starting out I was one of those youngsters who didn't take two seconds to learn anything about proper anatomy and would claim that the horrific characters I drew with tiny waists and giant eyes and flounder faces were all just "my style" but eventually I saw how much better things can be if I take the time to actually improve.

2 - Probably just how time-consuming pages can be. I've improved a lot since the early days but with that improvement the time it takes me to draw panels has increased, and I'm always sensitive about time because I have sooo many ideas and plans and we only have so much time on this Earth. I take shortcuts here and there I'll admit but there's only so much I'm willing to sacrifice and it kinda makes me miss the simplicity of my awful first few years.

3 - I would certainly do all of this again, and I'd do it much differently, too. I'd solidify my story before moving forward instead of improvising. I'd be less scared of improvement and critique. I'd even be less scared of sharing and posting my comic.

4 - This one is tough, because as WOE goes along and I improve at my art and story-telling I get new favorites all the time. Maybe the choice I'd make is the fight between Ixis and Ixal. Sure it's already shown some age and it's full of flaws and some pacing issues because I got too impatient, but it was a huge event that I had planned since the dawn of the comic itself. It was built up to for years, and it came at a time I was finally truly confident in my comic-ing abilities. It felt satisfying, despite it's flaws. It felt like an accomplishment. WOE's story was moving forward, the first big headlining event had come and I had the skills to make it better than I first envisioned it.
On the other hand, if I were to simply choose what I'd say I'm most proud of thus far, I might have to go with the romance/nightmare scene in Ixis's royal chambers. I nailed everything in this scene the way I wanted to, the scenery, the atmosphere, the expressions, the effects. It's hard to choose but I've found myself returning to this one a lot and using pages from it to show WOE off on more than one occasion.
(I also want to give honorable mentions to the end of The Crisis and the first Interim, but reader beware these are both huge spoilers!)

5 - It feels unfair to say my world-building has improved. That was never something I would say I struggled with when I first started focusing on building the universe around WOE, and in fact it wasn't even a big part of WOE until years after the comic began. I think where my writing has improved the most is pacing and direction. Early on WOE had no real direction. I didn't know much of what would happen except Ixis would fight Ixal. I improvised a lot of things and kept adding to the comic and plot as I went along. This made the early pages drag on and accomplish nothing. Now I have things set in stone and I more or less know where everything needs to go, how, and when.

6 - Another tough one. I started awful in pretty much every field and it's hard to say which one I've improved at the most, but I'd say it's a tie between my anatomy and my atmosphere. I say "atmosphere" because I take a lot more care in setting scenes now in a lot of ways, and it's hard to single out something like just backgrounds or texture or lighting/shading. I'm not particularly great at any of those things, but I like to think I've gotten decent at using the tools at my disposal to make some nice scenes despite my mediocre skills in the various fields individually. I'm very much an "end justifies the means" guy when it comes to art and telling my story.

7 - It can be so hard to choose, but Fathom has always held a special place in my heart. I try to make every character I design and write something I enjoy, and there's a lot I love about all of them, but Fathom has been one of the most enjoyable to write, mainly after WOE's early years when he was pretty much a pointless bird character I added because I thought it'd be cool. The way he and his history evolved behind the scenes was really exciting to me. He starts out so unassuming but as his secrets get revealed the reader realizes just what a significant role he has in the comic and world.
10 days ago, 11:05 AM #83
mitchellbravo:I'm still doing this #7- I don't know about you, but I have a favorite character. But my favorite has changed over the years since the comic started. How about you? Who's your favorite of your cast? Why? Has that changed over time?

I hold all my main characters dear ...but Nirrod is still my favorite because of his boldness and cute dumbness. His naive worldview is like mine when I was little.
He developed a lot from just being a cheeky mischief maker to a cheeky mischief maker with a lot of empathy.

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
10 days ago, 5:23 PM #84
the only safe place is the top shelf
mitchellbravo:I'm still doing this #7- I don't know about you, but I have a favorite character. But my favorite has changed over the years since the comic started. How about you? Who's your favorite of your cast? Why? Has that changed over time?

Often my favorite character whichever a cool new one I have most recently introduced, or otherwise whichever character is currently prominently featuring in the story.

But out of the "old guard", a character which I a have pretty consistently always regarded as favorite is Babette Méliès.
She wasn't there from "Day 1", and she wasn't originally intended to appear beyond the chapter in which she got introduced - but I quickly took a liking to this awesome steampunk lady, and so I let her reappear again and again and again...

And what changed over time?
Recently I did a chapter in which Babette had an adventure wherein she teamed up with a much newer favorite of mine, whose favorite-ness so far also proved to be more than just a fad: Major Selene Wildebees.
Why I like her is pretty simple to explain: Being very military-minded, she is ideal for straightforwardly letting her do a lot of badass "action hero" stuff, in stark contrast to most of my other characters.
10 days ago, 6:30 PM #85
🏋️‍🎨𝕽𝖊𝖓𝖆𝖎𝖘𝖘𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖊 𝕸𝖆𝖓 💅🏂
it turns out I'm pretty bad at answering questions every day.

Hello Question #6

I could write a whole book about my art evolution. like Nia, I've gotten a lot better at bubble placement, because I learned to actually think for a few seconds before drawing that bubble outline. (on paper, of course. it's easier with digital art) hiding a character or most of a panel behind a bubble is one of the most ungraceful things to do on a comic page, but it's also normal, as far as mistakes go.

other than that, a lot of aspects have improved, like shading, details, faces, backgrounds, color coordination... and most importantly, imo, I've always more or less managed to stay true to my style. just because I take inspiration from stuff I read doesn't mean I should ape it or feel forced to adopt a generic industry style.

I'm still doing this #7

noooo, another difficult question. I like every character, except the despicable jerks, don't make me choose one ;_;

with that out of the way, I tend to gravitate towards outlandish, non-human concepts, so my top favorites would inevitably reflect that. Blue Cat, the living plushie! Super-Pencil, the pencil superhero! Phosphorus, the walking matchstick! Huckleberry, the plant person! and so on. also, my self-insert is the best character look, humans can only go so far. writing about other lifeforms, with or without a human protagonist, has always been my favorite schtick.
10 days ago, 8:49 PM #86
I'm so sorry this must be so overwhelming #8 - Whether you actually plan to do it or not, if you were to create a spinoff series from this comic, what would it be about? Who would you focus on?

I can't name names without spoiling future plot points, but I do have vague plans for Loud Era 2, should I ever get there. I always wanted to set something in the 60s-70s (eyes Taily jealously) but realistically in terms of continuity I should probably plop it down in the 40s, early 50s at the very, very latest. Since "Loud Era" is a play on the "Silent Era" of film, I'd probably want to make some reference to film noir with the new title, which would work on another level since the central cast would be more multi-racial and I could deal with race issues more directly.

Joseph is in many ways the "central point character" for Loud Era, but I'd move to another character to provide that focus and shift things over a bit. Much of the cast would be offspring of the existing cast, while the rest of the Loud Era OG would be available to pop in occasionally and like offer advice and shit lol idk exactly

I've done a few sketches of plot points I'd include in "Fille Noire" (oh god damn that's a bit too on the nose isn't it, help I kind of love it) but I'm trying not to get too excited about it because I don't want to leapfrog over all I'm doing with the rest of this story.
10 days ago, 9:06 PM #87
mitchellbravo:I do have vague plans for Loud Era 2

*Buys movie tickets*
10 days ago, 9:48 PM #88
#7- I don't know about you, but I have a favorite character. But my favorite has changed over the years since the comic started. How about you? Who's your favorite of your cast? Why? Has that changed over time?

If I had to pick one, Bailey is probably my favorite. I created the character ~15 years ago when I had a massive crush on someone, who didn't like me back but still went out of her way to help me. I'll always remember her fondly, and Bailey is largely inspired by her. Not in a creepy way, though. I made sure not to make that mistake.

Over the course of making the comic and spending more time with my characters, I've grown more fond of them all. When I was writing Sturm's first proper fight, he turned out a lot cooler than I expected. And then there's Raida, who never gets enough screentime because she's more of a thinker than a fighter.

#8- Whether you actually plan to do it or not, if you were to create a spinoff series from this comic, what would it be about? Who would you focus on?

Since my comic is nearing its end I've been thinking about this a lot... It's gonna be hard to say goodbye to my characters, but I could always revisit them in some way. Spinoffs would probably take place in an entirely separate world/continuity. That way I wouldn't have to worry about consistent lore, it would just be random fun adventures.

I'm probably going to focus on something entirely new first though. Should be interesting to start from scratch again and see what I can come up with.
9 days ago, 1:32 AM #89
mitchellbravo:I'm so sorry this must be so overwhelming #8 - Whether you actually plan to do it or not, if you were to create a spinoff series from this comic, what would it be about? Who would you focus on?

I planned a spinoff about the time before the events of the main-story. It was supposed to be a comic strip format. Every page tells a little story of the life of the main cast.

And I still have in mind a Spinoff which would play many years in the future. With a new protagonist from another race. But you will see many of the old main characters how they evolved and how they changed.
But this would be another mammoth project.

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
9 days ago, 4:05 AM #90
#7 Favorite character - I don't have *one*. My fave is absolutely Ethan and Lu, but they're a package deal. Their interactions with each other are what I love about them the most. Neither is the type to show their vulnerable sides easily. While Ethan appears to wear his heart on his sleeve, he's a curious puppy who's had a ton of distractions since the story took off, so he doesn't get to open up as much as you'd think he would. And Lu is one hardened kitty. Despite all of that, the two of them touch each other where they're most vulnerable. It's beautiful to see.

I don't know if I had a favorite when I was starting HoK. But the dynamics between Ethan and Lu have changed a LOT after I had started making the first version, and that was a big part of why the first version got scrapped.

#8 Spinoffs - Maybe some side stories that would all be very short. Nothing long, for sure -- and that goes for completely new projects as well. I don't think my health could take it. Even now, I'm pushing it against my better judgment.
9 days ago, 4:54 AM #91
mitchellbravo:I'm so sorry this must be so overwhelming #8 - Whether you actually plan to do it or not, if you were to create a spinoff series from this comic, what would it be about? Who would you focus on?

Depending on how you view them and WOE you could say I have tons planned. For WOE alone I intend to do an Ixal-focused prequel and maybe even a Dirsta prequel. The events of WOE and some of it's characters are even going to be involved in other comics in the same universe years after the events of WOE are over, and I'd like to do an interquel connecting WOE to these future comics and events. WOE has become a starting point for a huge universe of comics and stories.
9 days ago, 10:50 AM #92
KAM

Question 8

Well, as The KAMics is a random hodgepodge any spinoff would probably be a comic devoted to one topic or set of characters.

I have considered putting all my political comics in it's spinoff where people could ignore them to their hearts content, also I briefly considered spinning off the Drunk Aliens into their own comic, but I'm too slow an artist to do more than one comic on my own.
9 days ago, 1:28 PM #93
not the one who meowed (?)
#7- I don't know about you, but I have a favorite character. But my favorite has changed over the years since the comic started. How about you? Who's your favorite of your cast? Why? Has that changed over time?

It's always alternated between the main 3 depending on the mood. I think, early on, I wasn't super into Sikue because she hadn't been very developed, yet, and was just a foil to Tatsuma's antics, but it didn't take long for her to worm her way in. Hard to pick favorites between them.

#8 - Whether you actually plan to do it or not, if you were to create a spinoff series from this comic, what would it be about? Who would you focus on?

Wh-what about if you already have a couple spin-offs?

Usually same cast, but a key element or setting is altered. I have ideas for an AU where they're all teeny kids going to school together. And pages of notes for a spin-off version where they're living modern suburbia; what their hobbies and social lives would be like, etc... And uh... a nearly completed spin-off where two characters' roles are switched around.
9 days ago, 2:28 PM #94
I'm still doing this #7- I don't know about you, but I have a favorite character. But my favorite has changed over the years since the comic started. How about you? Who's your favorite of your cast? Why? Has that changed over time?

Well, originally my favorite character was probably my main character, Charlotte. But over the years, her younger sister Allison has become a lot more developed and fleshed out.
Like with Charlotte, I had a very clear cut plan for her story arc and where it would go, but Allison...she kinda developed over a number of story arcs. She was a blank slate that I added stuff to.

I'm so sorry this must be so overwhelming #8 - Whether you actually plan to do it or not, if you were to create a spinoff series from this comic, what would it be about? Who would you focus on?

I have been toying with the idea of a spin-off involving Charlotte's employees at her comics & collectibles shop and what they do day to day, especially when Charlotte isn't around to boss them around. It would focus on every one of them in some manner and their daily lives. Like April is both a employee there as well as working towards finishing her medical degree through internships.

Of course, the reason I don't do this is time. I already struggle to keep my current comic going.

9 days ago, 2:39 PM #95

My favorite character sometimes changes from mood to mood, or when I consider what I want from my characters, but my overall favorite character has been and continues to be Velvet.

Of the current Deer Me cast, Velvet was the first (with an asterisk; it is slightly complicated) character I created. She is certainly the first I fleshed out as a character, which was done via "zaps" (playful interactions with other creators' characters) in a fanzine.

I mentioned this in another thread: "Horsing Around" was one of the first names I considered for Deer Me. My writings and ideas mainly focused on Velvet, not on the comic's current star, Viana. I just happened to start Deer Me while writing a story featuring Viana, and "Deer Me" was shorter than "Horsing Around" (and yes, that is how I chose the name)... and somehow my focus shifted from Velvet to Viana.

But Velvet feels more well-rounded to me than Viana, even after all these years of starring my angry doe. Velvet can be happy, friendly, sincere, annoyed, morose, manipulative... Viana tends to be annoyed or angry. That said, I do love my angry doe, and the other characters, too. Still, if I have to pick one favorite, then that one is Velvet. :-)

Deer Me will likely never have a spin-off, just because I see no end to it. The comic has evolved a lot over the years, and continues to do so now.

For example: It is undergoing a dramatic transformation right now. It is on hiatus and, when it resumes in April, all the characters will be canine, whether they were before or not. Deer Me will no longer have any deer characters... and I am already including way more "dog" jokes than I used to include species jokes in the comic.

Over the comic's life, there have been multiple times I feared I was running out of steam, only to come bouncing back with more and more. I am still working with ideas first thought up over a decade ago, and I have to drop some recently rediscovered "antler" jokes, since they no longer apply! Rather than spin-off Deer Me, I just adjust the comic to fit my existing needs.

I know that cannot work for other comics with different formats, but it works for mine (I hope).
9 days ago, 3:23 PM #96
🏋️‍🎨𝕽𝖊𝖓𝖆𝖎𝖘𝖘𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖊 𝕸𝖆𝖓 💅🏂
I'm so sorry this must be so overwhelming #8

due to the episodic nature of whatever I write, it's easy to blur the line between spotlight on a particular character, unusual one-shots, and outright spinoffs. I've been experimenting with that for years.

technically, any character I really like could get their own spinoff! but I still want every project/title to feel somewhat distinct, so I try to focus on a particular genre/style. for example, the Redacverse is an almost all-encompassing thing full of slice of life and adventure stories, Huckleberry is more about superheroes and fantastic beings, and I've got an upcoming sci-fi project. and let's not forget the online games I could develop someday...
9 days ago, 6:49 PM #97
the only safe place is the top shelf

Oooh, there are spin-offs of my comic already, though they sprung into being more due to the initiative of readers.

- Erwin the Quantum Cat - the lost episodes (initiated by Stilldown*) is about the eponymous Erwin the Quantum Cat, a character that appeared in my comic as the main protagonist of an in-universe children's television show.

- Childhood's End (mainly created by lirvilas) is about the assassination of the brother of Bettina Timmy, which lead to her becoming the CEO of Timmy's ToyCo.

- And very soon there will be a third spinoff, named Playground. Also starring Bettina Timmy, it will kinda be a sequel to Childhood's End. While the story's outline likewise comes from lirvilas, I myself will have significantly more input this time around.

Besides that, I have had several (more or less half-serious) spin-off ideas. Due to time constraints, they are for the most part purely hypothetical though.
One such idea was telling the backstory of Dr. Ytterbium's family, which is of note because I scratched that itch by telling this story via featuring all the family members in last year's round of 30 Days of Characters. (Doing an actual comic of this would have been a mammoth project!)

* BTW, get well soon, Stilldown!
9 days ago, 8:34 PM #98
Ugh #9- Yeah so we're all artists, we have a variety of reasons why love drawing and making these stories. But what got you off your tuchus and made you actually start posting yours online?

I was very wary of DeviantArt in high school for some reason (I think it including the word "deviant" made me worried about having to explain it to my parents) but I did read a few webcomics during that time. In freshman year of college, I started to consider putting my own art up, and found ComicGenesis. I joined the forums there and I remember reading a comic called "Reckless Youth," which has really nothing to do with my comic at all but I really was impressed by it and it kind of made me go "Ok, I should do something like this." (the fact that it went on hiatus and then sputtered briefly before being dropped seemed to add extra fuel to my proverbial fire)
9 days ago, 11:29 PM #99
Environment Knight
Oof this is gonna be a page

SUP BATTLERS!!! Question #3- If you got transported back in time, would you do this all again? What would you do differently, if anything? Why?

Honestly I would just cut out ALL that crap with the kid characters and skip DIRECTLY to the adults, although I obviously didn’t have the mental experience at age 12 to even have an inkling of how adults process the world. Starting with kid characters was probably good because it prevented me from making tooooo many bad decisions with my adult ones even though I DEFINITELY MADE QUITE A FEW STILL

Art-wise, really wish I’d bought an iPad sooner, it’s revolutionized the way I do things.

WHAT IS UP, BATTLERS, Question #4- In all your years you've been at this, what scene in your comic are you most proud of? Like if/when you go through your archive, you still feel really good about that scene? Maybe it was a funny scene that still makes you laugh, or an artistic reach you made, a dramatic page that still feels poignant. Link so we can enjoy your aptitude!

So I didn’t draw this one but I wrote it… I’m rly into the page where Faustus gives his self-insert OC a girlfriend and she’s basically just a leg lamp. Cass absolutely did my vision justice on that page ok I could not be happier with it

Dedown Battlers Question #5 - The last question I asked you about your best scene. Now I would like to know in general, which area of writing do you think you developed most strongly over the years?

Oh man ALL OF IT TBH I AIN’T 12 ANYMORE
But mainly I think I’ve really improved my understanding of why people do what they do, which has impacted my character writing greatly. As a kid, I was just sort of basing everyone and their motives off of what I ASSUMED people cared about, you know? What I assumed ADULTS cared about. Turns out, I was way off! The adult world is far more complicated than 12 year old me ever imagined, and way sadder and weirder and funnier and emotionally richer.
I think I used to be pretty cynical about other people, actually, because I was an edgy teen— but I’m becoming more and more fond of people as I age, and it’s improved my writing. I went from finding people funny in a mean spirited way to finding people funny in a sympathetic way.

Hello Question #6 -Yesterday I asked you about your best writing development. What about your visual art? What specifically do you think you've improved the most at?

omg just overall improvement from growing up, again
I AM PROUD TO REPORT THAT I NO LONGER DRAW STICK INSECT TORSOS ON EVERY CHARACTER

I'm still doing this #7- I don't know about you, but I have a favorite character. But my favorite has changed over the years since the comic started. How about you? Who's your favorite of your cast? Why? Has that changed over time?

Man so when I started the comic I was absolutely a Jared stan but as I grew up I was like “hmmm his character doesn’t make a whole lot of sense” and I shuffled a lot of his traits around to other characters. These days I stan Faustus as a character but not a person holy god Faustus Fitch Do Not Interact

There’s two levels of me liking him, there’s level one which is “he’s multifaceted in a weird nebbish way that’s got me hooked” and there’s level two which is THIS MAN IS THE GREATEST INSTIGATING FORCE I HAVE IN MY NARRATIVE TOOLBOX. HE WILL INSERT HIMSELF INTO ANY SITUATION AND ADVANCE ANY PLOT YOU GIVE HIM. There’s this certain level of persistence, conflict-proneness, neuroticism, and willingness to publicly humiliate himself that he can bring to the table at any given time and it makes him fantastically easy and satisfying to write. God bless you Faustus please stay 6 feet away from me at all times even after quarantine is lifted

Also I really do love Madigan, she’s my #2 fave, she’s the Lucy always pullin out the football from underneath the feet of Charlie Brown aka the rest of the cast

I'm so sorry this must be so overwhelming #8 - Whether you actually plan to do it or not, if you were to create a spinoff series from this comic, what would it be about? Who would you focus on?

FIRST OFF @MITCHELL GURL IF U WANNA SET A COMIC IN THE 60S I’M NOT GONNA GATEKEEP THIS NICHE OMG GO FOR IT

If I ever just like straight up run out of ideas for AP I would loooove to do a more serious spinoff set 10 years later in the 70s, when the recession has set in and the Vietnam War is dragging on and everyone is just feeling untethered and weird. I’m guessing if I ever run out of ideas for AP I myself will be feeling untethered and weird, so this will be a great way to channel those emotions

Ugh #9- Yeah so we're all artists, we have a variety of reasons why love drawing and making these stories. But what got you off your tuchus and made you actually start posting yours online?

The urging of my parents and mentors! They were super supportive.

Snarkclaw:I have to drop some recently rediscovered "antler" jokes, since they no longer apply!

please send these directly 2 my inbox thx
8 days ago, 11:14 AM #100
#9- Yeah so we're all artists, we have a variety of reasons why love drawing and making these stories. But what got you off your tuchus and made you actually start posting yours online?

I was on a forum where people played around with video game sprites, making comics with them and whatnot. That got me into making (and posting) comics using existing sprites too. Eventually I decided I wanted to make original characters of my own, then later decided I might as well make it an actual comic rather than a sprite comic, and the rest is history.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7