Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > been at this too long ers
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 days ago, 2:54 PM #101
the only safe place is the top shelf
mitchellbravo:Ugh #9- Yeah so we're all artists, we have a variety of reasons why love drawing and making these stories. But what got you off your tuchus and made you actually start posting yours online?

I have been pondering doing an own webcomic since school, but for a long time was too anxious to actually do it. (And that I had zero clue how to set up an own website didn't help either...)

Later, when I realized that webcomic hosting sites are a thing, I had a look at several of those, but couldn't for quite a while bring myself to actually register & post something there.
(Actually, I think I even have set up an account somewhere else, without subsequently posting a single thing...)

Can't remember what exactly pushed me to do the deciding steps after all, but I think one important factor was indeed that the way comics are presented via the ComicFury templates was congruent to my own tastes regarding how webcomics should be.
One week ago, 10:01 AM #102
KAM

Question 9

I'd been thinking about it for a while, but the inciting incident was after doing a guest comic for Darken the author commented that she wished I had a comic for her to link to.

I guess the moral is, "Every bad habit needs an enabler." ;-)
"Hey, kid....wanna make a webcomic...?", One week ago, 3:01 PM #103
mitchellbravo:Ugh #9- Yeah so we're all artists, we have a variety of reasons why love drawing and making these stories. But what got you off your tuchus and made you actually start posting yours online?

I'd been wanting to make a webcomic for years, but being part of the Comic Genesis forums (nee Keenspace) provided the indirect peer pressure I needed.
One week ago, 4:47 PM #104

I had been drawing comics in a format that could be shared (ie, in ink and with pages separate for ease of photocopying as distribution) since middle school. That eventually morphed into trying to be a "real" comic artist with expensive Bristol board and inks. But once I burned out on that, I made a little comic called EgresS.

After years of "Yes, that's a nice comic, <name redacted>," my parents actually read it and were hooked. It was then my dad suggested I take it online. He used to host it on one of his old band's domains. I kinda made it in a vacuum, since it was my primitive HTML skills (and no comments section or way to share it aside from me giving the link to friends).

EgresS imploded (for reasons I already wasted too much bandwidth explaining already) but the need to do comics once again appeared. While the art may have been a bit degraded compared to what I used to draw, the writing was head & shoulders better. I had about 100 pages drawn when, once again, my father said I need to get this online.

Instead of getting a domain and crafting a mediocre page, I decided to find a dedicated webcomic host. That happened to be SmackJeeves. The rest is history.

TLDR: My father, who's always been my biggest fan, gave me the shove I needed.
One week ago, 5:12 PM #105
Ok, ok, I can read the room, slowing down with these. #10- Where did you get teh name of your comic from?

This is hopefully a shorter, sweeter question.

Ok so in late high school one of my rituals before going to bed was I would read a few pages of the dictionary and jot down words I thought were cool or useful. I never finished it and don't remember how far I got. I would sometimes open randomly and just read a random page, too, which makes it difficult to ascertain the level of completion.

So naturally when it was time to name my comic, my chef d'oeuvre, my crown jewel, I turned to this list of words and decided to take two words I liked and slam them together. This is after I'd toyed with vague and meaningless titles (ugh, one was something like "Turn, World, Turn" or some equivalently stinky billshut) and realized I needed something more unique. And so, "Lateral Geotaxis" was born -_-

I mean I know when I see those words I definitely think of 1910s mild soap drama and not like aeronautical maneuvers or car parts

I forget when I got my act together and woke up to the pulchritude, I don't think it was all that far in. I mentioned this earlier in the thread already but because i had a love affair with film history in college I decided to make the comic title a play on the "Silent Era" of film. So now here I am with a more fitting title
One week ago, 5:20 PM #106
Environment Knight
LATERAL GEO TAXIS OH MY GOODNESS
I'm-- I'm glad you went with Loud Era, it's a lot easier on the brain :')

Awkward Paws was literally just child me being like "HMMMM WHAT'S AN ANIMAL PUN. PAWS = PAUSE....... AWKWARD PAWS........... DONE"

I am seriously considering renaming it Kicks (a much snappier, shorter name) at this point because I'm so sick of saying it out loud to new friends who want to Google it and being like "it's Awkward Paws, but it's spelled P-A-W-S. Yeah, like the-- like the animal feet yup listen I was 12"
One week ago, 5:33 PM #107
God, I know. It's part of the email I use for comic/personal stuff and it can be really awkward giving out that information especially over the phone. Sometimes people pause like they're waiting for an explanation and if anythign i just say "Yeah it's a weird old thing." (also good descripter of my comic tho!!!)

You have to hold your hands up in a cute pose and like really exaggeratedly say "Awkward Paws" while you wiggle the little flippers

But Kicks is cute, I could dig Kicks
One week ago, 6:10 PM #108
the only safe place is the top shelf
mitchellbravo:Ok, ok, I can read the room, slowing down with these. #10- Where did you get teh name of your comic from?

My comic is about cryptids, so...

Okay okay, I'll elaborate a bit more!

My original idea was to name it "Cryptidae" (note the extra "e" at the end), because Latin is fancy, and because I was thinking about taxonomical nomenclature. (Compare this to e.g. "Canidae").
But in the end I ditched the "e", because I figured that it may cause confusion to some regarding how to pronounce the "ae".
(The file on my computer where all the stuff pertaining to my comic is in, is nevertheless still named "Cryptidae" though!)
"zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....", One week ago, 6:17 PM #109
mitchellbravo:Ok, ok, I can read the room, slowing down with these. #10- Where did you get teh name of your comic from?

It's a portmanteau of "space" and "ancient" with the C replaced by a Z.

....I'm not good with titles.
One week ago, 7:14 PM #110
loved birds way before they were the word
HI. I just now decided to join in on this. I'm only creeping up on 50 pages and I don't have a massive archive of work, but this story is something I've been chipping away at and developing for over 11 years. KNM as a working comic is 5 years old. This is gonna be a novel, so I'll go ahead and place it under a spoiler.

One week ago, 7:20 PM #111
🏋️‍🎨𝕽𝖊𝖓𝖆𝖎𝖘𝖘𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖊 𝕸𝖆𝖓 💅🏂
Ugh #9

I was perfectly happy making comics that only a few people would even know about, until I began to like them so much that I felt it would be a shame to keep it a secret forever. alas, aside from my immediate family, nobody around me sounded like they would care about something made by an anonymous nerd like me. and it didn't help that I was born with a Kick Me sign on my back.

so I said "to hell with those guys" and turned my attention to the relative novelty of the online world. hey, if I could read so many webcomics, that meant I could also start one without a ton of requirements, right?

well, it took a while and a lot of research and warming up, but I finally felt confident enough to make an account here, scan my old stuff, clean up the scans, start a comic site, and upload a neverending digital archive. and then I learned how to customize my site, met a lot of friendly nerds, started an actual digital comic, and the rest is history.

Ok, ok, I can read the room, slowing down with these. #10

ah, titles. fun fact: I'm not that good at titles. spoilered for space and trivia.

One week ago, 7:21 PM #112
mitchellbravo:#10-Where did you get teh name of your comic from?

Tangentville has always been a home for all the comic ideas I fleshed out but never did anything with. At first they were only tangentially related, but they all took place in the same general location. Tangentville was the prefect name (the working title was Tangentville, NJ).

Also, my girlfriend often refers to Tangentville as my state of mind (even before the comic), so that helped cement it.
One week ago, 7:29 PM #113
p. sure I've eaten at the tangentville diner
One week ago, 7:34 PM #114
I'm not surprised!

Every time I see Microraptor's "Country of Beer and Sausages" as his location, I'm always tempted to change mine to "Land of Diners and Porkroll".
One week ago, 8:01 PM #115
Ahhhh, South Jersey I see! :P Tangentville sounds like a pine barrens town for sure...
One week ago, 9:26 PM #116

These questions have been very serendipitously timed with two things I have been doing lately: going through my old art and analyzing my early inspirations.

I typically say that Deer Me started because I saw one too many bad webcomics that made me say, "I can do better than that!" and opted to actually try it. This is true...

...But not the whole story.

I grew up reading comics -- newspaper comic strips and Mad Magazine as a child and 2000 AD and ElfQuest as a teenager -- so already was heavily predisposed towards comics. In the years right before I started Deer Me, I had been involved in a fanzine that encouraged friendly interactions between creators via our characters. So, I was already starting to write and draw jokes.

I knew the editors of the fanzine and one of them had his own (now defunct) online comic strip. So, like many others mentioned, I had webcomic influences directly around me when I opted to start making my own comic.

Posting it online was initially no big deal, but has probably been the biggest thorn in my side since. Initially, when Deer Me numbered just a few strips, my site was built of static pages on my self-hosted domain. I already had a domain and website that I used for some art, so a few comic strips were easy to add. As the comic strip number grew, I realized I would benefit from finding a comic C.M.S... and that has been an ongoing struggle since, with ComicFury being my latest (and, so far, best) solution.

I answered this when answering #7 about favorite characters, so I'll just quote that answer:

Snarkclaw:I mentioned this in another thread: "Horsing Around" was one of the first names I considered for Deer Me. ...{snip}... I just happened to start Deer Me while writing a story featuring Viana, and "Deer Me" was shorter than "Horsing Around" (and yes, that is how I chose the name)...

I just wanted some brief play on animal terms. :-)

Taily:
Snarkclaw:I have to drop some recently rediscovered "antler" jokes, since they no longer apply!

please send these directly 2 my inbox thx

Ha ha ha ha!
One week ago, 11:00 PM #117
mitchellbravo:Ahhhh, South Jersey I see! :P Tangentville sounds like a pine barrens town for sure...

Not quite. Grew up in Ocean County, currently living in Monmouth County. I'm in the fabled "Central Jersey" that so many people don't think even exists ^_~
One week ago, 11:12 PM #118
Hey, I went to college in fabled Central Jersey! If you had reversed those counties I could have sworn you were a friend of mine from college having kept a secret webcomic from me all these years :P
6 days ago, 7:47 AM #119
not the one who meowed (?)
Ugh #9- Yeah so we're all artists, we have a variety of reasons why love drawing and making these stories. But what got you off your tuchus and made you actually start posting yours online?

(hehehe, "tuchus")
I started posting the book covers on DeviantArt, because I put a lot of work into them and was proud of them. Don't remember the thought process, but I remember resisting posting the comic pages at first because they were icky and I'd have to use the school scanner to scan all the pages. Maybe thoughts of seeing if anyone liked my story got me to finally do it...

Ok, ok, I can read the room, slowing down with these. #10- Where did you get teh name of your comic from?

I think it just popped into my head while working on the front cover! I never was one to put a lot of thought into names...
6 days ago, 9:57 AM #120
KAM

Question 10

My initials are KAM and I make comics, so I smushed the two together and got The KAMics.

Wake up, these answers can't all be exciting.

Later I found out that in some non-English languages kamics is how they spell comics, so I imagine my English language comic really messes with searches for non-English kamics. (Sorry.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7