Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > been at this too long ers
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
6 days ago, 6:12 PM #121
Okay so technically I don't plan to start posting the archives to 'Fury until April but maybe we can look the other way for a week and pretend I was always here?
mitchellbravo:Sup Battlers Question #2- Now here's the inverse to the other question.
What's gotten harder for you as the years have gone on? What maybe came easy or you had energy for it back when you started, and now that's not the case? How come?

Doing anything comic-related on a regular basis. When we started cranking these things out circa 2006, my friend and I had time, motivation, and paper. The time was after/between classes in high school. The motivation was entertaining one another and capturing our frustrations with the system and the man by personifying them as bureaucratic secret agents. The paper was two reams that my mom's employer was throwing out because it had the old logo on it. What started as a visual inside joke morphed into a thing that we wanted to show to complete strangers. Our standards and expectations rose (mostly my doing) as our driving forces eroded one by one. The biggest blow was losing daily contact with my friend/co-creator who now lives three states away as a medical doctor.

SUP BATTLERS!!! Question #3- If you got transported back in time, would you do this all again? What would you do differently, if anything? Why?

Probably try not to set standards unfeasibly high for both of us. We made leaps and bounds over the course of two years and both figured we could more or less continue that upward trajectory in spite of going to engineering/medical school. It's a balance I still struggle with.

Alternately: mirror/move to ComicFury much earlier

WHAT IS UP, BATTLERS, Question #4- In all your years you've been at this, what scene in your comic are you most proud of? Like if/when you go through your archive, you still feel really good about that scene? Maybe it was a funny scene that still makes you laugh, or an artistic reach you made, a dramatic page that still feels poignant. Link so we can enjoy your aptitude!

Continuing the thread of nothing I make being visible on CF yet, my best scene was probably the finale to high school comics set on graduation night 2009. I departed from stick figures to do semi-anatomical 2D characters with better shading and backgrounds. I knew it was the end of an era, and I poured all my skill and attention into it. For a variety of reasons, it'll probably never be available to the general public (whoops I am bad at following instructions sry). The fact that the high water mark is 11 years ago doesn't bum me out, it serves as a reminder of what I can accomplish when I apply myself. Some day, maybe I'll have the motivation and self-discipline to go all-out again. For now, I'm mostly trying to tidy up the old pages in preparation for relaunch.

Edit: this text-wall of a post took me over an hour to draft. One could say I've been at this too long
6 days ago, 6:36 PM #122
I see we've got at least two other BATTLers in NJ, in addition to myself....

#9 Starting to post - I was already posting non-sequential pictures I drew, so why not a comic? What got me started on posting those non-sequential stuff is gaming fandoms. Back in the 90s and early 2000s, I was into the Squaresoft fandom. I'd draw various Squaresoft fanart and submit them to RPG sites, specific game/character fan sites, etc. It was a lot of fun, and only a matter of time before I set up a place where I could post unrelated non-fanart stuff, too.

#10 Title - It's the name of the location the characters are traveling to, for the first halfish of the story. It was the best I had after finishing the first chapter. I really wanted to start posting it, so...

...And it was a mistake. I fucking hate my title. I hate it. I love the story I'm trying to tell, but the title? Nobody can convince me to like it. It would fit a story that focuses on the physical journey, perhaps -- but not this one. I will rebrand IF I can think of a title that suits my work really well. But one comic can rebrand only once, so I better be sure the new title WORKS...
6 days ago, 7:47 PM #123
and the Sorcerer's Stone
#3- If you got transported back in time, would you do this all again? What would you do differently, if anything? Why?

This is already a reboot of a comic I've made 14 years ago. If I were to go back in time, I'd make the current version of my comic.
On this one, I'd probably change the starting pages, but eh. Harm's been done. Not going back.

#4- In all your years you've been at this, what scene in your comic are you most proud of? Like if/when you go through your archive, you still feel really good about that scene? Maybe it was a funny scene that still makes you laugh, or an artistic reach you made, a dramatic page that still feels poignant. Link so we can enjoy your aptitude!

My favorite ever scene involved the Spade sisters from my original run(now Jade and Onyx, with makeovers), the more sentient one destroying the other in an act of both rebellion and jealousy. I don't have a link, because that comic is long gone.

#5 Now I would like to know in general, which area of writing do you think you developed most strongly over the years?

I've developed my English. Grammar and everything. Not everyone's born an American.
I'm also a tad better at avoiding plot holes and other things that make no sense.

#6 -Yesterday I asked you about your best writing development. What about your visual art? What specifically do you think you've improved the most at?

I've experimented with a lot of techniques in the past, mostly mixed media until recently. Now I'm fully-digital and while I was shaky at first, now I've improved on drawing digitally. My art looks cleaner and is much easier to correct errors.

#7- I don't know about you, but I have a favorite character. But my favorite has changed over the years since the comic started. How about you? Who's your favorite of your cast? Why? Has that changed over time?

When I started this comic, it used to be Michelle. Now I find her a bit boring. Well, for now. Hopefully she will grow on me again.
Now it's Jade, Onyx and Erik. They have a more interesting backstory that I have yet to tell.

#8 - Whether you actually plan to do it or not, if you were to create a spinoff series from this comic, what would it be about? Who would you focus on?

I'm not planning to do a spinoff, but if I would the highschool volleyball team girls will probably come back. And there would be DRAMA.

#9- Yeah so we're all artists, we have a variety of reasons why love drawing and making these stories. But what got you off your tuchus and made you actually start posting yours online?

What made me want to post my stories online is other people posting theirs. I wanted to have mine out there too, like all the cool kids.

#10- Where did you get teh name of your comic from?

I named my first ever comic "Synthetic Life" because I sucked at naming things back then but decided to stick with it because after all this time, it still wasn't taken.
4 days ago, 11:16 AM #124
mitchellbravo:Ugh #9- Yeah so we're all artists, we have a variety of reasons why love drawing and making these stories. But what got you off your tuchus and made you actually start posting yours online?

Because of that failed attempt to publish the comic here in Germany and the thief from Japan... I just haven't liked the idea to scrub this story and this world. I wanted to show them that I can keep it up.

But it took me 6 years until I finally started uploading the comic online... on SmackJeeves.
I have no real deadlines ...therefore is this comic my stress-relief and escapism. But, I try to stick to a schedule ...weekend-ish.

mitchellbravo:Ok, ok, I can read the room, slowing down with these. #10- Where did you get teh name of your comic from?

This fine character was the main influence which started the idea of Katran and the Katran people*.
Katt** from BoF.
And, cat means in German Katze. I had to do it.

*(Sogre was the first ever designed Katranian)
**(at the beginning looked the Katran people more like cats ...more furry.)

Expect the unexpected. Never take anything for granted. Scrutinise everything. Be open-minded. Learn.
4 days ago, 8:24 PM #125
alright 11 What's your next art goal?

I can't decide between focusing on clothing folds (important in the era of starched shit, I have trouble with that- I draw a lot of fabric as though it's today's flexible elastic fitted stuff), or light and shadow studies. Anatomy always needs work but I feel okay about it for now.

Architecture as well I guess; I haven't felt too pleased with the way a lot of my buildings are looking lately. I have trouble with the "transitoion zone" where the building meets the ground. Just always looks to me like someone stuck a dollhouse down on the grass.
4 days ago, 9:03 PM #126
Environment Knight
11: I have a lot!!
-incorporating shots from dynamic perspectives (this is hard when I'm just doing simple 4-panel jokes, but I can have fun with the establishing shot sometimes)
-continuing to study color theory and incorporate it into my work more
-better architecture, both exterior and interior
-MAKING ROOMS LOOK "LIVED IN" OMFG
4 days ago, 9:15 PM #127
loved birds way before they were the word
#11 art goal

Get faster at rendering without sacrificing quality. A lot of my goals revolve around picking up speed at this point. There’s so much more of this comic I want to share and I won’t be able to do it in a timely manner unless I SPEED UP and learn how to work more efficiently.

There’s also some extremely trippy, bizarre parts of this story that I want to illustrate. That’s a goal right there.
4 days ago, 9:48 PM #128
#10 comic name:
Pretty simple, my main characters are named after actors I like. Sean Bean and Laura Bailey. So why is the title not 'Sean & Laura'? Because Laura is a pretty common name where I live (Sean not at all) and it would feel weird if I met a person with the same name as one of my main characters.

#11 next art goal:
I used to draw mainly fanart of whatever I was into at any given time. Finally, I moved on to original characters. Finally, I was no longer copying stuff. So for the longest time, I've had the mindset of "copying is bad, draw everything off the top of your head".

Which is NOT a good idea. Copying is only bad if that's all you do and then claim the work as your own. Copying is fine and even REQUIRED if you want to learn how to actually draw things.

So that's what I want to do more. Spend some time copying my favorite artists to discover how they do the things they do, and then apply that knowledge and experience to whatever new project(s) I come up with.
3 days ago, 8:45 AM #129
KAM

Question 11

Making money at it.
3 days ago, 3:24 PM #130
the only safe place is the top shelf
mitchellbravo:alright 11 What's your next art goal?

Aside of course in general improving in the areas where my art still has weaknesses (which means all areas), what's up next in the immediate future is launching Playground, a little side project I do together with lirvilas.
3 days ago, 7:15 PM #131
mitchellbravo:Ugh #9- Yeah so we're all artists, we have a variety of reasons why love drawing and making these stories. But what got you off your tuchus and made you actually start posting yours online?

Ok, ok, I can read the room, slowing down with these. #10- Where did you get teh name of your comic from?

alright 11 What's your next art goal?

9 - That's a good question, actually. The answer is probably a really uninteresting but candid admittance that I sort of crave attention on some level. I've always enjoyed art and maybe getting too many complements on my drawings as a kid gave me a big head but there's a certain subconscious craving in me that wants to put stuff out there and get recognition for it. Maybe some juvenile desire to be seen as "special" that I don't want to acknowledge, but before WOE there was my sprite comic and before that I had several projects I pondered throughout the years but never went all the way through with posting.
Nowadays I'm driven by my passion itself and a more innocent excuse of "I want to bring people the same great feelings other artists and authors have brought me" but no matter how much I try to pretty it up I think it all comes down to vanity, lol.

10 - Sadly WOE suffers from "pointless name 17-year-old me thought sounded cool" syndrome and I never bothered trying to rebrand it altogether. I threw "WOE" in front to give it a bit more of a self-aware nonsensical feel, and I intend to change the title for Season 2 in a hopefully-interesting way, but for the most part the title was much like the rest of the comic when I was a late-teen/young-adult: Thinking about what's cool to me now instead of thinking about the future of the comic.

11 - Oh god I don't focus on art goals as much as I should, but I've been trying to make my poses a bit more dynamic, as well as struggle to make my page layouts more interesting as well. It's hard to think outside the box and come up with something more interesting than several squares with speech bubbles hovering over and between them. I'm not very good at doing "out-there" stuff, so I guess whether it's my art, my writing or my comic structure, my overall goal is just learning to experiment a bit more and try to be less rigid.

-JoKeR-:Katt** from BoF.

Ahaha, wow. I can't recall if you've ever revealed that before, but I believe it's the first I'm hearing of it and that's awesome. I love me some Breath of Fire II, and you've done a good job of capturing that look while making your characters distinct from Katt all the same.
3 days ago, 7:29 PM #132
not the one who meowed (?)
mitchellbravo:11 What's your next art goal?

Balancing background and foreground
Composition
Kinda wanna figure out good ways to blend cross-hatching with cell shading...
Speeeeed
3 days ago, 9:17 PM #133
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
alright 11

yep, I do have a few goals...

- trying to have more than one or two pages in my buffer. I don't really mind the flexible schedule, but I still wish I could be a bit more consistent about it, and a bit more prepared when Lifeβ„’ gets in the way.
- drawing faster without losing much quality. (at the end of the day, though, I'll still go for quality over quantity)
- coloring faster
- trying more things I haven't tried before.

let's wait and see!
Yesterday, 8:01 PM #134
might do a few more of these 12- so we touched on art goals, what's your next writing goal? ar eyou going to ELEVATE TO THE NEXT LEVEL

I want to be better about packing pages with content. Not like to the point of being visually or textually overwhelming, but like, condensing things better so that every page packs more of a punch. My calculations I did recently showed that I can complete a single page in under 5 hours given the right conditions, but that's still a lot to spend to get through a scene or a chapter, so just... keeping things more succinct and purposeful so things take up fewer pages. This also eases reader annoyance between each week of updates.
Yesterday, 8:23 PM #135
Environment Knight
12:
This is kind of more of a "general management" goal but omfg I want to get through a bunch of the super old comic ideas I wrote down when I was a teen! A lot of them are not that great but they're good enough to warrant doing???? You know?????? I don't want to throw them out, it's a sunk cost fallacy thing

I also would like to BE ABLE TO WRITE JOKES AGAIN, I'm going through one of those stress-induced blocks right now where I literally just stop having comic ideas for multiple months. This is normal for me, it happens every time I have classes going on, it's my brain just focusing in hardcore on coursework and not leaving any room for noticing funny things about the world around me. Also the more I go out, party, meet people, have fun etc. the more ideas I have, and thesis writing prevents all that :(

Dear ComicFury All I Do Is Complain About Graduate School, Goodbye
Yesterday, 8:47 PM #136
the only safe place is the top shelf
mitchellbravo:might do a few more of these 12- so we touched on art goals, what's your next writing goal? ar eyou going to ELEVATE TO THE NEXT LEVEL.

Well, since art and writing go hand-in-hand here, you'll once again answer with the soon to be launched Playground.
The whole story's overall outline (written by lirvilas) already stands, but we still have a lot of work ahead of us hammering out much of the details.
Yesterday, 8:49 PM #137
mitchellbravo:alright 11 What's your next art goal?

Keep trying to improve everything.

My indoor backgrounds still often displease me. My outdoor backgrounds sometimes please me, but sometimes do not. Anatomy could always use improvement. How am I still so challenged by hands after all these decades? I focus on lighting way less than I should. Characters physically interacting still makes me despair. I want to be faster, too.

So, yeah, every single panel I draw is an exercise in trying to improve something.

mitchellbravo:might do a few more of these 12- so we touched on art goals, what's your next writing goal?

To continue converting Deer Me from a "pantsed" comic to a "planned" comic.

Deer Me started on a whim, and has grown over the years. Sharpclaw was written and edited and rewritten and revised and given a beginning, middle, and end. There is room for side-stories and continuation in the extremely unlikely event I can still write and draw by the time I finish the project (it's going to take a loooooong time and I know it), but Sharpclaw is a fully contained story as currently written. Deer Me never had that level of preparation.

While I have no current plans to end Deer Me, I would prefer to eventually end it with a real ending, rather than with it just fizzling out... which means I need to figure out how I want things to end.
Yesterday, 11:13 PM #138
12- What's your next writing goal?

My comic is nearing the end, but I have yet to write the full details of that ending, so I'm hoping to make it a satisfying one.

And THEN I'm hoping to come up with an interesting new story... I think I'll start by creating a character I know I'll love. Then the rest can flow from there.
Today, 9:34 AM #139
KAM

Question 11

Making more money at it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7