Forum > General discussion > Things to Do in Isolation
Pages: 1 2 3
"Things to Do in Isolation", 17th Mar 2020, 7:20 PM #1
Hi Everyone,

A lot of us are either working from home, staying home from work and/or school, or at least have evenings where we're no longer going out like we did in days of yore (two weeks ago.) Since this looks like it's going to last a few months, I started this thread to pass on ideas and activities to keep us busy, mentally engaged, and happy.

The Metropolitan Opera in NYC has, of course, shut their doors temporarily, but they are livestreaming, for free and in HD, a new opera every night at 7:30 EST from their "greatest hits" collection of the last couple of decades. The operas will be available for viewing up to 20 hours from when they're initially streamed. If you love opera, great! If you don't, now might be a great time to discover it!

The Metropolitan Opera
17th Mar 2020, 7:28 PM #2
Ko-Fi | succ up to zucc | reddit
17th Mar 2020, 7:35 PM #3
loved birds way before they were the word
17th Mar 2020, 7:55 PM #4
Try to beat personal best record on binge watch.
17th Mar 2020, 8:07 PM #5
Environment Knight
If you have access to natural spaces where you're not putting anyone at risk of infection, go out into those natural spaces and enjoy the serenity!
I've been taking daily walks along the beach, it's amazing! The normally bustling city is almost completely silent, and all you can hear is the lapping of the tide and the crying of seagulls. Walking through the woods I can see that spring is here, the flowers are out, the leaves are vivid green, songbirds are singing... it's so much easier to feel okay about life when you're surrounded by nature.
17th Mar 2020, 8:13 PM #6
Kyo
🐊
good idea to do that while you can, sounds like they're about to instate a curfew over here. I suddenly feel this strange obligation to learn to play the harmonica ...maybe not in anyones direction though
17th Mar 2020, 8:15 PM #7
^ along those lines, I'm going to start my garden. It's too early for tomatoes but I have some old ass seeds I'm curious about, and no time like the present. I have a bit of potting soil still left over from my last planting bonanza and can probably ask my dad for some of his if I run out. Imagine Flowers Now!
17th Mar 2020, 8:19 PM #8
Environment Knight
@Kyo - Super true, there's no knowing when a curfew might be instated here. I'm gonna try to conduct my own cherry blossom viewing tour today while I still can!

@Mitchell - YUP TIME TO PLANT!! I planted some basil back in Texas and then immediately abandoned it for Seattle haha stupid basil

Oh, also, oh my god, house cleaning, my dad's house is absolutely disgusting and it's making me feel so much better to do an INTENSIVE DEEP CLEAN. Great way to get some indoor exercise, too.
17th Mar 2020, 9:09 PM #9
rivaling gator
Have you always wanted to go to one of the really big famous museums? Take a virtual tour!

The Louvre in Paris.

The Guggenheim in New York.

The National Gallery of Art in Washington DC.

The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in Washington DC.

The Metropolitian Museum of Art in New York.

And for you space nerds...

The NASA reserch center in Langley

The NASA Glenn virtual tour
17th Mar 2020, 9:11 PM #10
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
yeah living around Nowhereforest can be amazing. I get to wander outside and enjoy the scenery without worrying too much about possible curfews.

I hope people won't behave like savages when/if we have to replenish our food supply sooner than expected, but all things considered, it can't be worse than fighting a zombie invasion.

this whole coronacrisis does put my "new decade trips" plans on hold, but I can wait. better be safe than sorry.

right now, I'm catching up with nerdy sites/articles I haven't been able to consistently check last year, still trying to fill my gen 6 live dex, and procrastinating working on comics. I'd say it's almost a normal day.

stay safe and don't forget to wash your hands, folks!
17th Mar 2020, 9:17 PM #11
Scrabble Loser 🦊
We've cancelled our weekly hangout with some IRL friends so I'm trying to find good watch together apps and online versions of board games. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
"To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...."
17th Mar 2020, 9:20 PM #12
I'm remastering the covers of old chapters.
17th Mar 2020, 9:28 PM #13
Blimpmaster
I've been using Trast to watch anime with my long-distance bud for a while now. Great for watching TV/films/YouTube videos with friends/family you can't physically be with.
18th Mar 2020, 5:38 AM #14
πŸ•Ž Light it up πŸ•Ž
Now's the perfect time to trespass on private property to go ghost hunting and urbexing

Some things to watch/have on in the background:

Notable documentaries
*Somebody's Daughter- A documentary that talks about the high number of missing and murdered indigenous and Native American women and the legal and jurisdictional issues that come with investigations, primarily focusing on the Blackfoot Tribe
*Satoyama Japan, The Secret Watergarden- A visually gorgeous documentary about the ecology of rice fields during the seasons and their importance for local fauna and farmers.
*Johnathan Bird's Blue World- Gorgeous mini-documentaries by diver Johnathan Bird, exploring underwater caves, shipwrecks and encounters with wild animals.
*Bedtime Stories- Youtube channel that makes small, concentrated mini-documentaries about conspiracy theories, cryptids, ufos, strange incidents, murders and supernatural phenomena.

*A&E's Hoarders Show with full episodes on Youtube
*A&E's Paranomal State show with full episodes
There are also full episodes of Live PD, Escaping Polygamy and multiple other interesting and entertaining reality TV shows.

People who troll scammers and scam callers (modern day heros)
*Kitboga
*Jim Browning

*Crime Pays But Botany Doesn't-Chicago man who talks about plants and is both entertaining and informative; he has a guide to illegally planting trees
*Glen & Friends Cooking- Cooking channel that also shows how to make recipes from the Depression era should you need to ration out any of your food/make it last longer
18th Mar 2020, 6:28 AM #15
not the one who meowed (?)
LeRenardRoux:We've cancelled our weekly hangout with some IRL friends so I'm trying to find good watch together apps and online versions of board games. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

If you all have Steam accounts, there's a Tabletop Simulator that comes with lots of games and lets all of you interact with the game pieces as if you were all there in person (including a function to flip the table over) but it costs a pretty penny so it may be out of your budget

There's an online game called Town of Salem which is a lot like mafia (Salem Witch Trials) where you and friends can all join in a game (there will be other players too, if you don't mind that). Not the prettiest presentation, but we've had hours of fun goofing around on it. Also, unless they made any changes since I last played, it should be free

Hopefully someone else has better suggestions cause my horizons aren't all that broadened. :P

EDIT---
Oh, and a general 'things to do' listing
Doodle or Die is basically a game of telephone where you describe peoples drawings and draw what people describe for others. That can be both weird and fun.
18th Mar 2020, 6:30 AM #16
πŸŽ€Official CF Wine TesterπŸŽ€
Draw.
18th Mar 2020, 7:15 AM #17
Blimpmaster
NiaNook:If you all have Steam accounts, there's a Tabletop Simulator that comes with lots of games and lets all of you interact with the game pieces as if you were all there in person (including a function to flip the table over) but it costs a pretty penny so it may be out of your budget

There's an online game called Town of Salem which is a lot like mafia (Salem Witch Trials) where you and friends can all join in a game (there will be other players too, if you don't mind that). Not the prettiest presentation, but we've had hours of fun goofing around on it. Also, unless they made any changes since I last played, it should be free

Hopefully someone else has better suggestions cause my horizons aren't all that broadened. :P

My friends an I use Roll20 for our weekly game - I'm not the GM so I don't know how hard it is to set everything up, but it's an option
18th Mar 2020, 7:25 AM #18
My net went down on Monday. :( If it wasn't for that, I'd be on OSGrid Digiworldz & other OpenSim 'grids'. Maybe Second Life too. They helped me a lot with long-term isolation in the past. Of course, I also got addicted. XD Anyway, OSgrid party at Event Plaza starts at 8am, runs for 10-12 hours IIRC, Wednesday & Friday. There are other events but that one's big & easy to remember.
18th Mar 2020, 10:22 AM #19
Schools in Britain have for the time being been kept open under Boris Johnson's leadership. From what I've read on another forum some UK victims so far have been as young as 40, and this hasn't been reported by the press yet, which is pretty concerning. Coming out of college at 5PM yesterday the traffic felt more like it usually does at 12-1PM (an off peak time).

Anyway, you could:
*Buy a streaming subscription and binge watch shows
*Increase the frequency of your comic
*Make your own low-fi album if you play an instrument
*Work from home if you can
*Go out for a drive if you own a car and you aren't in total lockdown (but obviously don't get out)

What's particularly crazy is that several students at my college have come back from a trip to Spain in recent days and the college is still advising them to attend under UK government guidance unless they begin to develop symptoms.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
18th Mar 2020, 10:42 AM #20
I already work from home, so my day to day schedule hasn't changed, thankfully.

Another tip: Rifftrax streams riffed movies and shorts 24/7. (If you hate ads, there are add-ons online, hint-hint... or just subscribe. :p)