Forum > General discussion > Things to Do in Isolation
Pages: 1 2 3
11 days ago, 10:43 AM #21
It's the best time to meditate on your Crown Chakra. Get in touch with Venus. But only if you're into that.
11 days ago, 2:03 PM #22
For all you Final Fantasy V fans out there, the organizer of Four Job Fiesta is running an event right called "Esuna for Corona". The goal is to beat the game with a party consisting of a White Mage, a Red Mage, a Bard, and a Chemist. They're also raising money for Médecins Sans Frontières.
11 days ago, 6:15 PM #23
WOOHOO net's back!

RJDG14:Schools in Britain have for the time being been kept open under Boris Johnson's leadership.

Weird! I was just on nhs.uk which, after I replied "yes" to "is your chest hot" but "no" to "have you been coughing", told me, "you must stay at home, go directly home, do not pass go, do not collect £200." Obviously, I'm paraphrasing heavily, but you get the idea.
11 days ago, 8:17 PM #24
Blimpmaster
Oh yeah I've seen people online talking about taking up a musical instrument again after a long break, so if you have access to a musical instrument you haven't played for a while, now is a good time to pick it up again.
11 days ago, 8:37 PM #25
I'm already a nerdy homebody so my routine and entertainment hasn't changed much other than my GF working at home and us stocking up on more groceries than usual, but I might still be able to dig up some noteworthy online entertainment to add to the pile...

- Shout Factory has lots of cool old campy film and TV series you can stream for free without ads. (Lots of Tokusatsu stuff and MST3K!)
- Midnight Pulp is another great streaming site for fans of camp. Tons of old and new kung-fu movies to stream to your heart's content!
- GOG is giving away a handful of games for free. (Some are eh and from what I hear some are also free by default but there's some cool stuff in there.)
- RedLetterMedia isn't obscure by any means but since they haven't been mentioned yet I'll throw a link here. They review tons of movies in various formats and levels of humor, sometimes playing characters in ongoing plotlines, other times watching piles of horrible VHS tapes to decide what the "Best of the Worst" is.
- My Life In Gaming is a charming and relaxing channel full of videos detailing retro gaming and the various ways to get the best out of playing old games and consoles on both new and old TVs. If you have even a passing interest in retro games and general technology their RGB Masterclass videos are a fascinating watch.
- ZenithSSBM is a channel full of videos about Gamecube Controllers. I'm a huge Smash Bros. fanboy and have a particularly deep love for all things Gamecube Controllers so this is a bit self-serving but oh well. This channel gave me a lot to kill time with last year when my computer was down and waiting for new parts to ship, so I thought it could be good quarantine material in the off-chance someone else with a similar love is browsing this thread.

I have a lot more I could share but I don't want to dump too much of a wall of text here. Hope at least one or two people can find some fun to be had with these!

EDIT: Oh and what the hell, how about one more for good measure in the form of shameless self-advertisement? Not of my comic, but of a YT channel where me and my friends play games and act a fool for laughs: The Party Gang's Game Lounge!
I know a billion channels like this spawned in the wake of Game Grumps but I like to think we bring some fun to the table for anyone interested in that sort of content. If you're bored with all the other options in this thread give some of our stuff a watch! (I recommend starting with our newer stuff before digging backwards. We've had many patches of trouble getting a footing on all our technical issues and being comfortable on-mic but I think our latest endeavors have been decent in quality.)
11 days ago, 9:21 PM #26
and the Sorcerer's Stone
I don't really isolate. I just go out in nature where there are no other people. You can't really keep me indoors, lol.

My life hasn't really changed, except I don't work or travel abroad.

Now that we're at it, I guess I'll clean my closet tomorrow, because it's a smoking mess. And draw comics.
11 days ago, 9:43 PM #27
rivaling gator
Google 360 has just released a thing where you can explore various National parks- Carlsbad Caverns caves, Bryce Canyon (the really colorful ones in Utah), the volcanoes in Hawaii, visit the fjords or the Tortugas. Vacation from home.

And if Earth is too plebeian and boring for you, NASA has made their entire library of space imagery free to use.

11 days ago, 10:23 PM #28
Cool stuff! It reminds me of what might be called the first "explore this online" thing: Colosal Cave Adventure. It's the first known work of interactive fiction, but while the magic is obviously fictional, the setting is not at all. ;) It's one more for the pile of things to do, perhaps when your eyes and ears get tired of video. I've been meaning to really spend some time on the game for years, but right now I need to do more people-things even if they have to be online. As I commented elsewhere, I'm always stir-crazy.
11 days ago, 10:54 PM #29
Friend me on sporcle - mbravo
Challenge me to geography quizzes
I can't promise I'll do 'em soon but it'd be cute and if you don't know then you can learn stuff too

At my peak brain fitness some years back I had the world countries and capitals memorized, as well as states/provinces and capitals of australia and canada (and the u.s. but those I've known for decades), counties of ireland, and the element names on the periodic table. 14 kiloneurons of info no one needs or can't google and it was a true point of pride
10 days ago, 12:12 AM #30
Drum bum
NiaNook:
There's an online game called Town of Salem which is a lot like mafia (Salem Witch Trials) where you and friends can all join in a game (there will be other players too, if you don't mind that). Not the prettiest presentation, but we've had hours of fun goofing around on it. Also, unless they made any changes since I last played, it should be free

I just want to throw out there that, if I remember correctly, this game is no longer free. They're honoring old free accounts (i.e. mine) but if you don't already have an account, it's like $15 or something. The game is an absolute blast, thought; I've definitely wasted hours upon hours on it, so I'd second the suggestion as a whole.

Animal Crossing drops Friday... I'm just saying. :^)
10 days ago, 5:18 PM #31
For all you bookworms out there, try to take a look to see if your local public library has a method for checking out books, videos, and music online. Many libraries may have an option to check out books via Rakuten Overdrive, Libby, or some similar service.
10 days ago, 5:45 PM #32
I just wanted to drop back in and say thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread. So many great suggestions and links. Communities and shared idea are what will help us all pull through this.
9 days ago, 9:07 PM #33
I'm not (yet) explicitly in isolation, but while mostly at home I'm currently replaying the Game Boy Advance versions of The Sims: Bustin' Out and The Urbz, both of which were my favourite games 10-15 years ago. Both are early 2000s handheld isometric adventure games in which you have direct control over your Sim (you have to look after their needs) and complete missions and improve your relationship with other Sims to unlock areas, as well as having the ability to buy items to furnish your home and play a ton of fun and memorable minigames to earn money. I also have the GBA version of The Sims 2, which has a similar isometric view, but it honestly isn't anything like as good, despite being the newest of the 3.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
9 days ago, 10:47 PM #34
I'm a bank teller, so I have to still report for work, but we're alternating shifts, so I'll have some extra time off. Time to work on comics, do a ton of reading, make some new videos, and make some goodies for my table at Monster Bash (it's not until the end of June, so fingers crossed that the show will still be on).
8 days ago, 5:07 AM #35
The Palace of Versailles is offering a free virtual tour.

Palace of Versailles Virtual Tour!
8 days ago, 3:14 PM #36
Aaron blasie jsut recently made his animation course free for the time being so if you wanna learn the craft, here's the link: fundamentals of animation

someone probably
One week ago, 8:59 PM #37
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Building stuff mostly.
One week ago, 10:04 PM #38
Kyo:good idea to do that while you can, sounds like they're about to instate a curfew over here. I suddenly feel this strange obligation to learn to play the harmonica ...maybe not in anyones direction though

You gonna also get a metal cup to rattle against any bars you have around? Maybe start putting tally marks on the wall for each day, while making a shiv?
One week ago, 10:15 PM #39
Birb is the Worb
The base game of Crusader Kings 2 is free on Steam, and it's the kind of game that's really good for whiling away the hours with.

If you have Stardew Valley, playing multiplayer with friends is a lovely way to pass the time. As is Animal crossing, though that only recently came out.

Oh, and I recently drew up a bird drawing tutorial if anyone would like it.
One week ago, 11:18 PM #40
Scrabble Loser 🦊
Anyone who is looking to help and can sew might consider this:

There will probably be plenty of people/organizations in your area who need some kind of mask but can't get the medical grade ones. I've got a big pile of scrap fabric in my basement that might as well be masks!
"To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...."
Forum > General discussion > Things to Do in Isolation
Pages: 1 2 3