Forum > General discussion > Music videos you love
Pages: 1 2 3
"Music videos you love", 8 days ago, 10:03 PM #1
So since a lot of us right now have less busy lives than usual, how about we talk about something fun? In my younger years, I used to love music videos, and while I don't watch a lot of the newer stuff coming out, I still appreciate an engaging visual set to music. So...what are some videos that you love? I don't just mean videos where you love the song, but ones where the video stands alone as a work of art.

I'll start with my all-time favorite: "Take on Me" by a-ha. It's iconic. We've probably all seen it, or at least clips of it, even those who were born long after its release. Most of us still wish we could create something this awesome.

Here's one I'd never seen until MTV had its (I think) 25th anniversary and started airing a bunch of videos that they showed on the channel's first day. I enjoyed this humorous little nugget that I don't think was ever a big hit. The video always brings a smile to my face. It's Hilly Michaels with "Calling All Girls."

I don't only like videos that use animation. This is one that seems to have gained a new life in the age of YouTube. Despite being from the '80s, an era from which I'd seen most of the classic videos rerun on VH1 and such, I never saw this until about 10 years ago. Nowadays it seems to be fairly well known (72M views on YouTube!). It's so silly you can't help but be delighted by it: "You Can Call Me Al" by Paul Simon.

Don't you watch videos from any era besides the '80s? Sure! Here's one from the '90s that again, I never saw until the YouTube era, since this band didn't get much recognition when they were active. It's Jellyfish, with "New Mistake."

I was debating whether I like this video more for the song than the visuals, but it's definitely the Jellyfish video I've watched the most, despite the low resolution on an 11-year-old upload, so I guess I must really love this thing. Jellyfish often sprinkled hints of darkness into upbeat songs, but this is one where I think the video makes sure you come away from the song feeling good.

And one that came out around '99 or 2000, "Californication" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. This is one I actually saw when it originally came out, and I remember how awesome everyone thought it was at the time. I just watched it for the first time in years and enjoyed it all over again.

So those are a few of mine. What are yours?
8 days ago, 10:31 PM #2
well besides R. Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly", there's a really cool unofficial music video to 2+2=5 by Radiohead I come back to a lot.

8 days ago, 10:46 PM #3
green day has excellent music videos, this one in particular is a favorite of mine:

somewhat miffed that the only one i could think of was green day, a band that literally everyone knows, but i don't use youtube for music aside from stuff so obscure that it's not on spotify, and any western music not on spotify definitely does not have a music video. here is bonus obscure crap to make up for it:
Ko-Fi | succ up to zucc | reddit
8 days ago, 11:34 PM #4
loved birds way before they were the word
The artwork in this video fits the tone of Voivod so well.
One week ago, 12:57 AM #5
Oohh my taste in musical videos is rather questionable. Basically I adore everything that is stupidly hilarious. Example below:

And of course, I would not be a proper weeb without mentioning this one:

One week ago, 1:42 AM #6
rivaling gator
I love me some arty-farty high concept videos.

Something old: All She Wants Is by Duran Duran

This one is cool because it is not actually video, it is stop motion. The whole thing is shot on a still camera and all the funky light effects are long-exposure and projected light.

Something new: Colors by Beck

This has really interesting choreography and cool use of contrasting colors as well as a great effect where the two mains, while dressed in all white, are alternately in color or black and white (though the desaturated bits still have splashes of color in the woman's lipstick and the corsage Beck is wearing).

Something animated: SOURCE by Fever the Ghost, animation by Felix Colgrave

This is really cute and weirdly hilarious, puppet animation done in After Effects.
One week ago, 2:29 AM #7
Question: how do you embed Youtube videos in this forum?
One week ago, 2:34 AM #8
Carlos.webcomic:Question: how do you embed Youtube videos in this forum?

[youtube]*insert video id here*[/youtube]

I just discovered today too!
One week ago, 3:25 AM #9
Awesome!
Thanks heaps!!
One week ago, 3:42 AM #10
I mean

One week ago, 5:52 AM #11
Danny McLimmon:

I'll start with my all-time favorite: "Take on Me" by a-ha. It's iconic.

I never saw this until about 10 years ago. Nowadays it seems to be fairly well known (72M views on YouTube!). It's so silly you can't help but be delighted by it: "You Can Call Me Al" by Paul Simon.

So those are a few of mine. What are yours?

A couple of classics you've picked there.

Mine..?? -

Three of M.J.'s - "Billy Jean", "Beat it" (along with Weird Al's cover/parody Eat It) and "Thriller"

Duran-Duran's "Girls On Film"

David Lee Roth's "Just a Gigolo" and "California Girls"

Massive Attack's "Unfinished Sympathy" and "Protection"

Fat Boy Slim "Weapons of Choice"

Robbie Williams "Rock D.J." (not while you're eating)

Duck Sauce "Barbra Streisand"

Beyonce' "Formation" (explicit lyrics)

Mark Ronson /Bruno Mars "Uptown Funk" - very reminiscent of M.J.

Pet Shop Boys "West End Girls"

Lana Del Rey "Doing Time" "Blue Jeans" ...and others back to "Born To Die" - pretty much
all her stuff is a small movie

That's heaps....

B-)
One week ago, 6:16 AM #12
and the Sorcerer's Stone
One week ago, 7:58 AM #13
I was gonna say Californication, but you beat me to it.
Even believed there was a RHCP video game.

For some reason, Nickelback's Hero from Spiderman movie resonated with me. Same as Vindicated from Dashboard Confessional.
One week ago, 12:09 PM #14
not the one who meowed (?)
I'm assuming you mean official music videos, cause that helps narrow things down (there's some very good fan-made music videos out there).

I totally agree on the Take On Me video. <3

And seconding Timishayd on the One More Time video. Actually, you could put the entire Interstella 5555 series on this list

(gonna leave some things here)

One week ago, 3:00 PM #15

here's a pretty creative video using google maps. it's a good way to illustrate the message of the song, which is how middle class fans of hip-hop are detached from the very real struggles that birthed it.

a classic. lots of nervous energy in this one.

basically any gorillaz video is some top tier stuff, but this one's among my favorites.

very lovely pastel aesthetic and lots of creative concepts. high production videos with this one. also fits the relaxed nature of the song.

whatever the hell this is. lol
One week ago, 4:39 PM #16
Ohh I have a few!

My favorite NON-animated music video is definitely No Reason by Bonobo.
They did all of the effects in-camera with no CGI, no green-screen, nothing.
I don't want to spoil it, but it's cool.

As for animated ones...

Let's Go by Stuck in the Sound (very slightly NSFW) is really good.
It's a good story/plotline that seems inextricable from the song it's attached to.

The same goes for Mr. Fear by SIAMES, cool story and especially tight animation:

It's hard to skip past The Music Scene by Blockhead.
Trippy as hell vid, which was even referenced in a Rick and Morty episode once:

Made by the same animator is Two against One by Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi:

Honestly quite surprised that nobody's mentioned Handlebars by Flobots yet? It's a classic, really poignant MV.

One week ago, 4:54 PM #17
Here are some that I love

Do the Evolution - Pearl Jam

Smack my bitch up - The Prodigy(RIP Keith Flint)
NSFW

Jenny - Studio Killers (actually anything by studio killers is dope as hell)

I Say Fever - Ramona Falls

Arschersetzer - Hell Orbs

Also as a IIDX player, I love love LOVE the videos that play for certain songs! Here are a couple

Silly Love - DÉ DÉ MOUSE

打打打打打打打打打打 - ヒゲドライバー join. SELEN
One week ago, 8:09 PM #18
Ohohoho, what a supremely good thread B> I've got a couple!

One week ago, 9:08 PM #19
Here's one of my favorites:

Mystery Skulls Animated Ghost
One week ago, 9:15 PM #20
Guitar wolf, i love you ok

The only one that actually come to mind

linky
Forum > General discussion > Music videos you love
Pages: 1 2 3