Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Totally Irreverant, Messed Up Things to Enjoy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
"Bizzare, Surreal, or Unsettling Things to Enjoy", 8th May 2020, 7:08 PM #1

I have no purpose for this thread, and it will probably die very quickly, but my fiancee stumbled upon this brain f*ck and I wanted to share its resplendence with others. Feel free to share your own weird things that boggle the mind and tickle the brain.

Enjoy :D

Website
My favorite is the "Mercy-Go-Round"

Edit: Made the title more accurate. ;)

Edit: Sh*t, I just found out there was a similar thread back in April...so...this doesn't necessarily need to be "nightmare fuel," so I can avoid Cooke's copyright infringement XD

So...just odd is fine for this one (or whatever you want to post. I don't care. I just want to laugh...got some bummer news yesterday.)
8th May 2020, 8:14 PM #2
🀺πŸͺ—π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ‡πŸ’…
oh wow this is awesome! I actually tried to combine puzzles as a kid! I never went too far with that, and I feel like kicking myself now, lol.

also, sorry for nitpicking the thread title, I don't usually do this, and it's too late anyway but isn't it a bit misleading? when I hear "messed up", I picture creepy stuff, and "irreverent" makes me think of flippant stuff like, I dunno, this trading card ad from 90s X-Men comics, which may or may not count as a contribution to this thread.

I can see how some people may be offended by a few of these puzzles, but if you ask me they're more surreal and silly than anything else.

anyway, I've had a good long look at them, and I love the "iron horse", the Christmas cat, the hedgehog muffin, the pupcake, and even the frog-eyed pig. thanks for sharing!

and I take back what I said about creepiness. the clown dogs are terrifying XD
8th May 2020, 9:33 PM #3

Ha ha! Yeah, I get your drift. I edited the title. Thanks for sharing that picture! It's awesome XD

I could take either picture, though XD
9th May 2020, 4:22 AM #4
and NiaCrannies
I'm surprised he was able to blend the puzzle images together so well working with such a clunky medium!

Matt Comics:Mona Lisa verses X-Men picture

Dang, that wasn't ironic? That would fit right in with those memes going around, you know, like the "Real women have curves, real women are sharks" thing?
"This painting is BORING (insert Mona Lisa), This painting is SOPHISTICATED (insert goofy pop-art)". Calling yourself "cool" when comparing yourself to classic paintings just sounds so... hilariously arrogant I'm surprised they're not joking XD
9th May 2020, 7:36 AM #5
now in the front of the truck
BlueDragon:I have no purpose for this thread, and it will probably die very quickly

challenge accepted

9th May 2020, 9:20 AM #6
and the Sorcerer's Stone
Do these apply? Because I love weird stuff.

9th May 2020, 1:49 PM #7
🀺πŸͺ—π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ‡πŸ’…
gonna have a look at some of the things in this thread later

NiaNook:Dang, that wasn't ironic?

yeah no, this isn't like Kyo giving dreamwork eyebrows to Mona Lisa. as far as I can tell, they were very serious about it, just like any other marvel cards ad... but the other ones never reached this level of audacity! heck, the Beast card itself looks nice enough, I just don't like the context. XD
9th May 2020, 3:00 PM #8
Chargeman Ken. Just... Chargeman Ken.

And of course, this scene from Twinkle Nora Rock Me!, where the power of dance is so strong, it eats half of the animation cels.

(Hopefully, vintage anime weirdness counts :,D)
9th May 2020, 5:08 PM #9

Oh yeah! I just remember this exists:

And this is just "bizarre" and hilarious. I want to meet the voice actor and just give him a hug and walk away.

Shekets:Video

I love Cool 3D World because it makes ZERO SENSE but is great absurdist stuff
Video

Oh my gosh! That crow is amazing! (My mom had a crow they found growing up, and taught him to say "Joe Crow." Cause his name was Joe X'D

I...can almost not watch the other one XD It's perfect for this!

callmerocket:challenge accepted

Video

Oh...oh I can't take my eyes off it O_O

Eve Z.:Do these apply? Because I love weird stuff.

Video
Video

Yes, well, the top one. I couldn't watch the bottom one without leaving site, and right now I'm being lazy XD) That animation, though!

Annausagi2:Chargeman Ken. Just... Chargeman Ken.

Video

And of course, this scene from Twinkle Nora Rock Me!, where the power of dance is so strong, it eats half of the animation cels.

Video

(Hopefully, vintage anime weirdness counts :,D)

Oh my gosh! Ha ha ha! The Twinkle Nora! I think we watch the same anime dude XD He's hilarious, without being over the top.
9th May 2020, 6:34 PM #10
and the Sorcerer's Stone
Speaking of classics...

Betty Boop has several weird ones.
9th May 2020, 7:07 PM #11

Oh man, Betty Boop. She was something else XD Actually kinda...oddly enough, "progressive" for the time XD

This is the insane sh*t I grew up with :D (The whole movie is just...crazy...)

And kind of a stretch, but still bizarre is Tom Petty's "Don't Come Around Here No More Video." I just...the end is what used to scare me as a kid XD

9th May 2020, 7:56 PM #12
BlueDragon:I have no purpose for this thread, and it will probably die very quickly, but my fiancee stumbled upon this brain f*ck and I wanted to share its resplendence with others. Feel free to share your own weird things that boggle the mind and tickle the brain.

Enjoy :D

Website
My favorite is the "Mercy-Go-Round"

A guy named Dave Gorman demonstrated some examples of this on his British TV show Modern Life is Goodish. My favourite was where he combined a scene of picnickers by a river with Spitfires flying over the sea.
Storm Over Whoomera (NSFW, nudity) Comic Fury | Renderosity (first page)
Created by Ed Kline, co-writer Lee M. Now sadly defunct, but the archive remains.
9th May 2020, 8:28 PM #13

That's so cool! It was my first time seeing it, and I really thought it was cool. I gotta say, I finished scrolling through them, and I think the Mercy-Go-Round has been replaced by Leonardo Di Vincent XD

I just picture a Monty Pythonesque tossing of the steeple XD XD It's one of the last ones on the page, but I have to take a screenshot to share, and I didn't want to XD (Because I'm lazy.)
9th May 2020, 9:22 PM #14
I dunno the opinion of others here, but I'm finding that since the start of the pandemic that I've been geting more pleasure from listening to North Korean recordings, as well as modern pop music from the West. It does almost feel as though they've become a guilty pleasure kind of thing for me lately, and I've even added a couple of Top 40 tracks onto my phone's music gallery.

9th May 2020, 9:59 PM #15

I've not seen any. May I request a share? I'd love to check it out while I work :3

But speaking of somewhat "taboo" gov. paranoia stuff. I have been really digging 80s Soviet Synth XD

So bizarre and fun! Genuinely enjoyable (to me)*

*Can I add, Western 80s sh*t was bizarre and fun, too. Not trying to single anyone out
9th May 2020, 10:03 PM #16
Oh! I suddenly remembered this old Swedish children's show that aired when I was little. Yes, it was artsy and just... weird. But strangely hypnotic? D:

9th May 2020, 10:44 PM #17
BlueDragon:I've not seen any. May I request a share? I'd love to check it out while I work :3

But speaking of somewhat "taboo" gov. paranoia stuff. I have been really digging 80s Soviet Synth XD

So bizarre and fun! Genuinely enjoyable (to me)*

*Can I add, Western 80s sh*t was bizarre and fun, too. Not trying to single anyone out

Soviet music was pretty weird, at least from a Westerners perspective. A lot of it sounded as though it was trying to adopt the production aesthetic of Western music from the era while at the same time remaining stuck in the 1950s from a songwriting perspective.

Merged Doublepost:

Annausagi2:Oh! I suddenly remembered this old Swedish children's show that aired when I was little. Yes, it was artsy and just... weird. But strangely hypnotic? D:

Video

Video

This is pretty weird, but nothing like as weird as Boohbah, which was a British children's series in the early 2000s. It appears that Ika I Rutan aired in 1988. I often wonder how ITV even managed to give the go-ahead for Boohbah (reportedly after it was turned down by the BBC for having "no educational value"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZH6iuah5hU

I mean, where is this even supposed to be set? In an underground vertical tunnel of light? It makes no more sense to me now than when I was four. The family who go on adventures within episodes of the show also act as though every trace of life has been somehow sucked out of them while the narrator also sounds annoyed all the time. Just everything about this show is awful, and it feels as though the people who created it were permanently high on LSD or something, even though I can't see its creator being that kind of person. It looks like it was also aired in the US on PBS.

9th May 2020, 11:23 PM #18
User, if you know what i mean
dunno how well these fit but here are a couple of classics

these two videos are what's going on in my brain 24/7
10th May 2020, 12:40 AM #19

Here's something not that strange I came upon looking for typewriter references. It's actually quite cute...but strange. Man, if it actually winds up and moves, that would be amazing!

Annausagi2:Oh! I suddenly remembered this old Swedish children's show that aired when I was little. Yes, it was artsy and just... weird. But strangely hypnotic? D:

Video

Video

These are weird, and amazing at the same time! Dang it, I couldn't take my eyes off it XD I kinda like that artsy weird stuff. Loved it as a kid, too XD

RJDG14:

This is pretty weird, but nothing like as weird as Boohbah, which was a British children's series in the early 2000s. It appears that Ika I Rutan aired in 1988. I often wonder how ITV even managed to give the go-ahead for Boohbah (reportedly after it was turned down by the BBC for having "no educational value"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZH6iuah5hU

I mean, where is this even supposed to be set? In an underground vertical tunnel of light? It makes no more sense to me now than when I was four. The family who go on adventures within episodes of the show also act as though every trace of life has been somehow sucked out of them while the narrator also sounds annoyed all the time. Just everything about this show is awful, and it feels as though the people who created it were permanently high on LSD or something, even though I can't see its creator being that kind of person. It looks like it was also aired in the US on PBS.

Oh my gosh! I've seen them before--so frickin' creepy...like they're some alien race trying to mimic what they understand humans consider cute. That their heads suck into their...bodies...it just reminds me of a super cute fuzzy parasite XD XD
tsuri:dunno how well these fit but here are a couple of classics

Video

Video

these two videos are what's going on in my brain 24/7

This. is. exactly what I'm looking for. Holy sh*t, that guac video! It is genius! I love it! (I've also never seen it o_O)
10th May 2020, 1:04 AM #20
User, if you know what i mean
BlueDragon:
This. is. exactly what I'm looking for. Holy sh*t, that guac video! It is genius! I love it! (I've also never seen it o_O)

yeah the first time i saw it i could feel my head exploding, it's so right