Forum > News & Announcements > notifications
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
"notifications", 26th Jun 2020, 9:41 AM #1
Kyo
๐ŸŠ
now I know what you're thinking: "two plus two equals four" - that's an excellent point, but I was actually talking about the new notifications thingy. My conquest to piece by piece bring the site interface up to scratch continues, and I'm sure you can guess as much already, but I've rehauled the notifications system!

It now lets you know there's notifications on every page! and also, notifications don't disappear unless you explicitly clear them, with the exception of forum notifications. Also, there is more types of notifications! It now it shows the comments individually, lets you reply to those directly, shows you new subscribers, author blogs on webcomics you're subbed to, announcements like this one, pms, and forum threads! and that's still not all! it also shows: author invites! okay, that's all

let me know what you think, if you have any suggestions or spot any bugs!
26th Jun 2020, 9:42 AM #2
๐Ÿ•Ž Light it up ๐Ÿ•Ž
Thank you
26th Jun 2020, 9:42 AM #3
pungent
Awesome update, thank you!
26th Jun 2020, 9:53 AM #4
Great stuff!
26th Jun 2020, 9:54 AM #5
YESSSS this was something i super missed about smack jeeves's interface, but it's safe to say this site is surpassing it in every way. thanks for this kyo, your site improvements are much appreciated!
26th Jun 2020, 10:01 AM #6
Hey, Kyo! Thanks for the notification system! That's way more convenient than just scrolling through e-mails.

Now there's one more thing to scratch that itch...

Is it possible to be notified if someone tags/pings you, quotes your posts, or reply directly to your post?
One of my threads back in February (which is now closed) addressed this issue.
26th Jun 2020, 10:09 AM #7
๐ŸŽ€Official CF Wine Tester๐ŸŽ€
Are the comments on comic pages still at the end of the list? If so mine are now on page 4 :(
26th Jun 2020, 10:27 AM #8
Awesome!
26th Jun 2020, 10:29 AM #9
Whatโ€™s the โ€œOtherโ€ tab for? Like, what does it notify you about specifically??
26th Jun 2020, 10:42 AM #10
Kyo
๐ŸŠ
author invites, and if you're a mod, reports. so not much right now

The Letter M:Are the comments on comic pages still at the end of the list? If so mine are now on page 4 :(

no, it's a feed sorted by date. and also there's categories at the top, if you want to only view certain types of updates

Karumtoo-Rexo:Hey, Kyo! Thanks for the notification system! That's way more convenient than just scrolling through e-mails.

Now there's one more thing to scratch that itch...

Is it possible to be notified if someone tags/pings you, quotes your posts, or reply directly to your post?
One of my threads back in February (which is now closed) addressed this issue.

well, it doesn't do that right now, but it's a lot more, uh, possible to do that now than it was before. The @ thing isn't really super simple given that usernames can contain spaces, but I think adding something along those lines at least would make sense. I'll have to let it rumble through my brain a bit on how to best implement it though. I'll add it to the issue tracker. also I don't know why that thread is closed, I didn't close it
26th Jun 2020, 10:47 AM #11
Kyo:well, it doesn't do that right now, but it's a lot more, uh, possible to do that now than it was before. The @ thing isn't really super simple given that usernames can contain spaces, but I think adding something along those lines at least would make sense. I'll have to let it rumble through my brain a bit on how to best implement it though. I'll add it to the issue tracker. also I don't know why that thread is closed, I didn't close it

Okay, I'll let you take your time to think about it then. Oh, and I should add that the thread was closed by me because no one bothered to respond to it.
26th Jun 2020, 10:50 AM #12
Kyo
๐ŸŠ
haha my bad, sorry about that.
26th Jun 2020, 11:06 AM #13
Just one tiny, insignificant thing - the color choice seems to be odd. White-bluish, while the rest of the site is white and grey.
26th Jun 2020, 11:26 AM #14
This is really cool, thank you!
26th Jun 2020, 11:29 AM #15
OOOooohhhh, this is really neat. I like it!
26th Jun 2020, 11:32 AM #16
YES! I was just thinking something like this would be nice so I don't have to click an empty notification thingy every day! Thanks Kyo!
26th Jun 2020, 11:52 AM #17
Kyo
๐ŸŠ
Darksh1ne:Just one tiny, insignificant thing - the color choice seems to be odd. White-bluish, while the rest of the site is white and grey.

it's mostly because I wanted to color code things, and it just didn't look good with the existing styles. there's some blue around the place already though, like e.g. the infinite scroll viewer. it's basically just a lighter tone of the header shade
26th Jun 2020, 12:11 PM #18
You did this at the same day as Steam Summer Sale, hmmm...
26th Jun 2020, 12:12 PM #19
I thank you for having a place for notifications. Thank you.
Things I like, I like the color coordination because I am a very visual based person. It makes it easier for me to understand which is which, so I'm glad to see you have some visual key to that.

So the initial Notifications area is up at the top, but after I click it to look at the notifications, where are they? I clicked away and now don't know how to access them again because its no longer at the top. I didn't remove the notifs, I just looked at them, so it would be nice if Notification was always accessible from an easy click if I still have them even if not new.

OH Its UPDATES not Notifications! That confused me because the title of your Site Update was Notifications. I took Updates as in Site News, not updates as in Update Notifications for Me. It might be better to have it as Notifications for Consistency. I'll leave the previous thing I wrote above so you can see my discovery process.

Okay onto the next thing. Thank You for implementing a way for me to set what types of notifs I want to receive. I very much appreciate that.
26th Jun 2020, 12:16 PM #20
Kyo
๐ŸŠ
to be honest, I also think "Notifications" is easier to understand, and I was almost going to change it to that (the section was called "My Updates" before this update) - the reason I went with updates is pretty much purely because notifications is too long for the smallest phone screen sizes to still have the menu bar fit in one row, and I couldn't come up with a good way of abbreviating it.