Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > So drunkduck became theduckwebcomics, apparently.
Pages: 1 2
"So drunkduck became theduckwebcomics, apparently.", 28th Jun 2020, 2:28 AM #1
No wonder I couldn't find drunkduck. They changed the name of the site to theduckwebcomics when I wasn't looking. I used to upload way too many series there, even having 2 accounts: Atelier Aqua and Ice Lord Zire (more on those below)

This little trip down memory lane got a lot longer than I thought it would, so I'm gonna put in a spoiler

I don't know if this counts as shameless advertisement, as I don't intend to continue these series, but I just wanted to list some links to my two flagship series for people to check out if they wanted to. (prepare for cringy old art)
https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/strawberry_cycle/5003226/(yuri!)| https://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Dreams_Of_Eternity/

If you've read the whole thing, thanks for putting up with my rambling

[edit] I completely forgot to say this ('cause I spent 3 hours writing this) but does anyone else have memories of their drunkduck days?

28th Jun 2020, 9:27 AM #2
KAM

Dan with a Plan:No wonder I couldn't find drunkduck. They changed the name of the site to theduckwebcomics when I wasn't looking.

They did that YEARS ago. One or two owners ago. (Wowio, maybe?) The then owners were having trouble selling the Drunk Duck name to advertisers so they renamed it The Duck Webcomics to be advertiser friendly. For years Drunk Duck redirected to The Duck Webcomics. (I guess they stopped that at some point.)
28th Jun 2020, 9:30 AM #3
Drunk Duck was the first webcomic site i used so i have a certain nostalgia about it. I still mirror my comics over there as the DD community is very good at commenting and interacting.
The views and exposure isn't that great though. At least for me.

The old address drunkduck.com still works and re-directs, so Drunk Duck is there in spirit.
"Still not as ghost-town-ey as Comic Genesis.", 28th Jun 2020, 9:41 AM #4
I got featured on Drunk Duck back in the day, so I used to have a pretty good-sized audience there. Sometime later, the site went down for like a month or two and most of that audience dissipated. Oh well.
Two weeks ago, 8:01 AM #5
I got featured on Drunk Duck back in the day, so I used to have a pretty good-sized audience there. Sometime later, the site went down for like a month or two and most of that audience dissipated. Oh well.

That sucks. I actually got a lot of positive comments back then, even more than I do here. It's too bad a snag with the site caused such wonderful people to leave.

Two weeks ago, 12:08 PM #6
I stopped giving a damn about the Duck when it became impossible to log in for a long time and nothing was being done about it. Then I moved on to other platforms. This one was one of them, as I recall.
Two weeks ago, 11:32 PM #7
I'm still there. I have been pretty loyal because that's where I first started webcomics.

I was kinda shocked when SJ went down and no one recommended TheDuck/ Drunkduck as an alternative site on discord, forums... Perhaps it's my nostalgia getting in the way, but I still get readers and comments. Perhaps it's considered a weak visibility site if you are just starting out.
13 days ago, 12:43 AM #8
My most vivid DD memory is, sadly, negative, so I won't go there.

I am still there to a degree with mirror sites for Wonderland Hates You, Xailenrath Comics Presents, The Misfits of Mischief and Parallel World Tour.
Oh, and IWATSV.
Though, I rarely update them over there, anymore, even when I am able to crank out a page over here.

I still visit the site at least thrice weekly just for gits & shiggles and nostalgia for "The Good Ol Days", but most of my newer stuff doesn't get a mirror there, anymore.
I, too, have way too many comic projects up over there, as well as more than a few account names due to the length of time I've spent there, as it was the second comics hosting site I was ever a part of.

I went there because I couldn't navigate the way KeenSpaceSpotComicGenesis did their thing.
(I STILL don't understand why FTP is a thing when most site have gone 'upload here'.)

I was, for the most part, satisfied with the Duck, and I made a few friends there in the OC superhero community.
I contributed to 2 issues of "Heroes Alliance", and they even spelled my name right!
Despite some of the things I've heard regarding ownership and many of the folks I'd connected with running for the hills for their own various reasons, I still dig The Duck.
I just dig ComicFury MORE.

... ANY bird can be a Phoenix, if it's ON FIRE.
13 days ago, 12:46 AM #9
pigs are smarter than bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
got scared and went to make sure the best webcomic ever made is still there and thank god it is
"http://rocketgirl.keenspace.com/", 13 days ago, 1:04 AM #10
keltyzoid!:got scared and went to make sure the best webcomic ever made is still there and thank god it is

I thought you were gonna link Smug I Could Do
13 days ago, 1:15 AM #11
Cope:I thought you were gonna link Smug I Could Do

Ouch!

... ANY bird can be a Phoenix, if it's ON FIRE.
13 days ago, 1:45 AM #12
Cope:I thought you were gonna link Smug I Could Do

i didn't realize that was an actual thing but i looked it up and it's so fucking terrible and accurate, i cant stop laughing

"Mr. Boner, you just earned yourself a corner office."
13 days ago, 3:45 AM #13
Dan with a Plan:That sucks. I actually got a lot of positive comments back then, even more than I do here. It's too bad a snag with the site caused such wonderful people to leave.

It was more than that. There was a prolonged period where the site was up and down, and features, forums, etc started breaking. Eventually there was a total redesign to "The Duck," more things broken (the absolutely critical ones gradually repaired), forums nerfed, features dropped, and they took away the ability to customize your comic site, so people who had been developing their comic there for years had their unique look stripped away, and suddenly everyone's comic was generic.
13 days ago, 3:55 AM #14
I've heard of the site before, and I'm quite intrigued. Is it worth it to create a mirror of my webcomic there?
13 days ago, 4:09 AM #15
no
13 days ago, 4:24 AM #16
loved birds way before they were the word
Reapeageddon:I've heard of the site before, and I'm quite intrigued. Is it worth it to create a mirror of my webcomic there?

it’s a has-been site that peaked in the mid-late 2000s. Not even remotely worth it
13 days ago, 4:30 AM #17
OOF, oh well.
13 days ago, 5:12 AM #18
It's sad to hear, personally. I had so much fun. At least all the old webcomics I liked are still there, even if they stopped updating back in '11
13 days ago, 5:32 AM #19
It's a far smaller site than it used to be, sure, but it's not completely dead. I have more readers there (Supposedly) than I do here, probably thanks to the overall fewer comics on there. So theres some reason to mirror there at least.
13 days ago, 5:35 AM #20
loved birds way before they were the word
DD was fun while it lasted, it was a hub for so many comics back in the day. It’s sad to see it dragging along like this. There’s a handful of people who are still there, but it’s mostly people who had an audience to begin with.