Forum > General discussion > Old Hobbies
Pages: 1
"Old Hobbies", 10 days ago, 3:32 PM #1
So, I’ve gotten to the point where I’m really trucking along with the writing for BLANKET. I’m used to the upload schedule, and I got a good amount of time for each page so it portrays the story well. I’m in a really good place. But with that is some uncertainty about other ways I can spend my time.

I work really fast and efficiently, so it’s sometimes a problem I run into when I’m doing passion projects like these. I either have a lot of work that I put into it, or not enough work to dedicate to it. And now that I have a job, it makes me think about how I’m pacing myself. I’m wondering if I should slowly work in another pastime I put aside so I could drill into my webcomic?

But I’d also like an honest opinion, or a personal one! Is this something you also have/had to deal with?
10 days ago, 4:01 PM #2
I think it's important to have other pastimes so you don't burn out. For example, my husband is the artist and he builds Gundam model kits. It lets him blow off stream when he is having a rough time with a panel or something. I find it helps prevent burnout for him as well.

I'd jsut schedule your time first, see how much free time you have and then go into it. Making time for other things you love is very important.
10 days ago, 9:25 PM #3
I can explain
I pretty much always have something on the back burner. Enthusiasm for a big project wanes over time, being able to switch away for a bit and then jump back revitalizes me. And you can't control what ideas pop into your head - most of them won't be good for your current project, so have a folder of project ideas that you can match them up with.

So I guess I really have a main project (the big, years-long one), a secondary project (the shorter thing I use to recharge myself for the main), and then the standby projects (an endless supply of things that I'm not doing anything with, but might be a good place to use any stroke of genius I happen to have).
9 days ago, 2:26 AM #4
HueRY:I think it's important to have other pastimes so you don't burn out. For example, my husband is the artist and he builds Gundam model kits. It lets him blow off stream when he is having a rough time with a panel or something. I find it helps prevent burnout for him as well.

I have the same hobby, too! I just recently picked it back up after 15 years and I'm blow away by the quality of todays kits. I also love playing videogames, but it's hard to invest time in them now when I can buy a kit and switch quickly between building it and drawing instead of the full hours-long play sessions that game take.

Forum > General discussion > Old Hobbies
Pages: 1