Forum > News & Announcements > Simple Layout Changes
Pages: 1
"Simple Layout Changes", 28th Jul 2020, 1:45 PM #1
Kyo
🐊
Hi!

I've updated the layouts generated by the simple layout editor, to be more mobile compatible, and also just a bit nicer in general. It now generates secondary colors based on the background color in some places, e.g. making comment boxes look a lot better than before.

The original plan was to also couple this with an update to the editor itself, to make changes in the simple layout editor have more visual feedback in real time, and that's actually halfway done already as well, but I think I'm gonna shelf that for now, while I rethink some conceptual things (and also just work on more urgent stuff). So look forward to that in the future!

Anyway, if you're using a simple layout, and you haven't converted it to HTML, your layout should now be more mobile compatible, and hopefully also look a bit nicer. Take a look!
28th Jul 2020, 1:57 PM #2
Thanks!

13 days ago, 3:47 AM #3
Botanist
Do I need to start a new simple layout for it to do the secondary colour thing?
13 days ago, 12:27 PM #4
Kyo
🐊
no, it's automatic. you can check out the comment boxes on your comic to see the effect. before it would have all just been the same color as the background.

Note that if your background color has an opacity, the boxes will inherit that opacity as well, so if your background color is translucent, so will the comment boxes be (and if it's completely transparent, no background on the comment boxes will show up either)
"thank you", 11 days ago, 2:04 PM #5
Thank you so much! I really like it at first but that problem made me worry and I couldn't change to other display
9 days ago, 8:26 PM #6
not the one who meowed (?)
Dang, I chose the wrong time to convert my layout to HTML because CSS is not my forte and my extra pages look terrible in mobile :'D

A cool feature, though! Thanks! Maybe I'll look into a way to snip some of the code from the new default layout
9 days ago, 9:10 PM #7
Kyo
🐊
If you're having trouble with the images taking up too much space, try this (e: looking at your layout a bit closer, this probably won't be enough alone - more than I could explain quickly on the spot, unfortunately it's not super straightforward to convert a layout to be mobile friendly, although it's also not super difficult once you've done your research):

.box img {
    height:auto !important;
    max-width:100%;
}

Incidentally looking at your site made me realize that the WYSIWYG editor can sometimes apply inline width/height using CSS rather than HTML, so you helped me spot a problem with the new mobile layouts! (if anyone's curious: basically I was missing the !important part in the above code, which could make images look squishy if they had a size specified)
6 days ago, 9:55 PM #8
not the one who meowed (?)
Oooh, yeah, it'll definitely need some work and study. Thanks, I'll try out that code snippet and see how it goes :D
2 days ago, 1:14 AM #9
Hey Kyo, not sure what I'm missing here but since the simple layout change, my banner at the top of my site is left aligned rather than center aligned, despite being picked as center aligned in the simple layout editor. In a weird anomaly, on the Archive page it is in fact center aligned, but none of the others are.

Tips?
2 days ago, 12:27 PM #10
Kyo
🐊
Yup, this was a bug that was reported to me via PM, and I fixed it yesterday. The reason for the inconsistency accross pages is just that it still had the cache (basically a copy to make things load faster) of the old page saved. I went ahead and cleared your cache, and it should now all be working again
2 days ago, 12:35 PM #11
Kyo you are amazing, thank you!