Forum > Layouts, HTML, CSS & Javascript > New Simple Layout... I think it messed with thewebcomicslist.com :'D
Pages: 1
"New Simple Layout... I think it messed with thewebcomicslist.com :'D", 30th Jul 2020, 11:08 AM #1
Hey all -- not being critical of the shift to the new simple layout style...

But.......

Since it happened, my comic's status on thewebcomicslist.com has gone from Normal to Pattern Not Matching. I don't normally hover over these sites, but literally this week the site mods were helping me out with getting it to check VV for updates. And the problem just got fixed, like, yesterday...

guh

Link to page so you can see what's going on
Explanation of statuses

Seems to be the case that changing layouts can cause this. Again, the new site layout features are cool (and thank you!) -- but... any way for individual folks to revert things back easily? It might be affecting it, and reverting it might get things running again. All I got.

Any chance Pattern Not Matching isn't that much of a big deal for update checks (I'm a noob at this as you can tell ^^)? And, I guess most importantly, do people still use the site (I've heard it at least was a big one at one point, but if not, y'know, I can deal with it not working)?
30th Jul 2020, 12:10 PM #2
Kyo
🐊
I don't know why it broke. I believe thewebcomiclist uses the "<!-- Last Update: 23/07/2020 -->" html comment in your layout to figure out the last release date, and it's definitely still there. Did they say why it broke last time? I can make changes to support them better, but I don't really see why it's broken, and obviously I can only guess how their system works.

You cannot revert to the simple layout as it was before the update, but you can opt out of all future auto layout updates by just converting your layout to html (this also means you won't be able to edit it in the simple layout editor anymore, though - I wouldn't really recommend doing this unless you have to, since it also means you won't continue to get feature updates automatically). If you really want the old version, I can probably spin up the old version of the code on my dev server and get you a copy of the generated HTML, but to be honest, if I was doing a webcomic and my choice was between my site being mobile compatible and supporting thewebcomiclist, I would pick mobile compatibility every single time. I don't think TWL gets used much these days, but I also don't have any actual numbers. In any case, I'm sure this can be resolved to a point where you can enjoy the privilege of both a mobile compatible layout and twl working.
30th Jul 2020, 1:36 PM #3
Kyo:Did they say why it broke last time? I can make changes to support them better, but I don't really see why it's broken, and obviously I can only guess how their system works.

It was a strange process, they honestly didn't give any details when I sent the error report -- mind, the issue back there was that the comic's status was Not Checked For Updates (and that's unfortunately fairly vague too...). As for when it was fixed, it was a case of "fixed, here you go!" Wish I could give more info...

Kyo:You cannot revert to the simple layout as it was before the update, but you can opt out of all future auto layout updates by just converting your layout to html (this also means you won't be able to edit it in the simple layout editor anymore, though - I wouldn't really recommend doing this unless you have to, since it also means you won't continue to get feature updates automatically).

Agreed on that one -- not a big coder, and as mentioned, got no qualms with the new layout designer (quite like it, actually!). Planning to do the big leap into html at a well-later stage (all that SEO and the like), but defnitely too early at this stage ^^

Kyo:I don't think TWL gets used much these days, but I also don't have any actual numbers. In any case, I'm sure this can be resolved to a point where you can enjoy the privilege of both a mobile compatible layout and twl working.

Holding onto the thought that it might resolve itself within a week or two on TWL's side (once it's recrawled after a couple comic uploads/edits/the like. Cheers, if anything changes I'll post an update here ;D