Forum > General discussion > Patreon lost: maybe look for alternatives
Pages: 1 2
11 days ago, 11:11 AM #21
I’m going to plug commiss.io too. They’re an art commission website and payment processor that has a patreon like feature to it. They also have a digital download feature too like gumroad. Kinda jack-of-all-trades.

[EDIT]

ACTUALLY, while we are on this topic.

One thing about Patreon is it handled sales taxes. A lot of alternatives don’t. This is concerning to me.

When discussing alternatives we should also be discussing tax assistant solutions. The only one I know about is QuickBooks, but I have no idea if that one is automated or not.
11 days ago, 2:14 PM #22
I support Gumroad too since it seems to have a better company mentality, and you can also just put all the relevant art in a single PDF with a set price and not worry too much about monthly obligations; though I've yet to use it as a creator so be careful as always.
11 days ago, 2:22 PM #23
From the looks of it, Kofi looks like a neat alternative.
11 days ago, 3:15 PM #24
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Kyo:where did you hear about this? You had me kinda scared, but I googled it and the only thing that i could find about this is this article, and that doesn't say anything about them losing. other than that it was just like random people and youtube

That article has been updated.

From what I've seen, the "patreon is doomed" thing is stemming from lawers who have looked at the ruling and suggesting that if people who were paying creators that got banned prior to the TOS change also decided to motion for arbritration, then they could potentially fold under the sheer number of cases.

There's no guarantee that will happen. Some people are probably a bit over excited is all.
11 days ago, 3:26 PM #25
You guys might also be interested in these (I haven't tried them yet):

Creary https://creaproject.io/creary/

Memberful https://memberful.com/pricing/

Maecen https://maecen.com/terms

Steady https://steadyhq.com/en/pricing
"The Saga of Patreon, PayPal, and SubscribeStar", 10 days ago, 12:43 PM #26
ascii man
Actually, after hearing about the saga between Patreon, PayPal, and SubscribeStar; I think I wouldn't trust Patreon ever again.

For people looking for alternatives, you should also look at an old thread from the last time Patreon threatened to up the fees too.

And I must note that out of these alternatives, LiberaPay is notable for taking 0% cut and being non-profit. (Though, you can't give stuff in exchange of donation on this platform)
10 days ago, 1:49 PM #27
Hmm, so David Revoy is one of few artists on Liberapay right now, and he's on Patreon, too, so there's nothing to stop anyone from using multiple alternatives together, as far as I can see (unless that's just a big hassle to manage so many accounts). He's often an early adopter on cool opensource stuff like this.

https://en.liberapay.com/davidrevoy/
10 days ago, 2:01 PM #28
Just make sure to read the TOS of the other sites to make sure they don't force exclusivity.
10 days ago, 2:22 PM #29
David Revoy is also on Tipeee, so hopefully there's no exclusivity among his platforms.

https://en.tipeee.com/pepper-carrot

Liberapay is cool, but it doesn't seem to attract much activity or funding. I wonder if it's something to do with missing social aspects, because tippers are required to be anonymous there.
10 days ago, 2:47 PM #30
xwindows:Actually, after hearing about the saga between Patreon, PayPal, and SubscribeStar; I think I wouldn't trust Patreon ever again.

For people looking for alternatives, you should also look at an old thread from the last time Patreon threatened to up the fees too.

And I must note that out of these alternatives, LiberaPay is notable for taking 0% cut and being non-profit. (Though, you can't give stuff in exchange of donation on this platform)

I`ve just now been looking more into this as well. Sadly, Patreon seems to be over stepping it`s mandate. I don`t like what I`m seeing. It`s like success and potential power gets to their heads. Just great...
Anyway, I`ll see how it goes.

10 days ago, 3:12 PM #31
Looking at suggestions, it seems things are varied enough to fit to individual needs.

I know ko-fi/buymeacoffee is already well established and easy to use, so I would not be surprised if people flocked there. Libera pay seems neat though. As are a lot of these other suggestions.

Also, I briefly looked into automated tax solutions, since that is still a concern. It looks like you can hook up QuickBooks with something like TaxJar that can help with that. There are probably other things out there as well. It's just a little difficult to find stuff since I'm sure it's not something people think about until it's a problem.

I personally am not ready to start a venture like this, but it is nice to have these things in my back pocket, should the tides of life change again.
10 days ago, 3:47 PM #32
+1 for gumroad and ko-fi. I don’t use ko-fi as much but as a platform for sfw art, it’s alright.
I don’t trust subscribestar, but then again any of these platforms emphasizing ‘free speech’ sets off red flags for me, it’s pretty coded, slippery wording depending on who you talk to.

There was another one I saw called flowfo, based in France I believe that’s picking up steam. NSFW friendly for webcomics although I haven’t looked too too far into it, it might interest you. I did read that their TOS were basically copy pasted from patreon’s though, so it being a viable alternative is yet to be seen....
10 days ago, 5:58 PM #33
Socratatus:I`ve just now been looking more into this as well. Sadly, Patreon seems to be over stepping it`s mandate. I don`t like what I`m seeing. It`s like success and potential power gets to their heads. Just great...
Anyway, I`ll see how it goes.

It's how it usually goes. New market opens up, one company comes out ahead, power goes to their head, they fuck up and they they're either humbled or destroyed as a new one takes their place.

You can see it in action with the video game market with Sega's disasterous fall after the Genesis/Mega Drive and Nintendo and Sony bouncing back a forth between industry leader and joke.
9 days ago, 12:25 AM #34
🕎 Light it up 🕎
It looks like there are more patrons who are starting the process of filing arbitration.

As of current, the previously mentioned arbitration cases in the OP have extended the defendants deadline to respond to Patreon until September.
I have no idea how long it typically takes to process, file or arbitrate, but the register of actions said that this started in June, and we're in August.
We can steady a guess that the process could take several months.

Like I said, while they may not immediately go down, have your backup platforms ready just in case.
--

Big thank you to everyone who's offered suggestions and advice to platform alternatives!

Guybrush20X6:Just make sure to read the TOS of the other sites to make sure they don't force exclusivity.

Also very, very important.
While I can't find any sources at the moment, I did hear murmurings of Patreon trying to limit creators merchandise manufacturing to be exclusive to Patreon's production process.
Reading that TOS is going to be super important and a big thank you to Guybrush for reminding us to do so.
9 days ago, 10:21 PM #35
Theoretically, since Liberapay is open source, someone could fork it and modify it to make it more social and add a shopping cart or whatever.

P.S. CloudPatron is also an open source clone of Patreon. I guess these options require quite a bit of expertise and time to set up, so they're not viable for most artists. (unless they can form a collective or co-op to build their own funding platform)